• Members

They wouldn't dare. They're already being crucified. If this is a negotiation (and I think it is - Lynch was almost this mercenary when he negotiated his original deal on the show in 1989, and when he tried to get the show saved in Season 2) he pulled out every possible stop to turn the world against them. Social media, Easter Sunday, a personal statement and the suggestion that they might take his art from him.

There's no nice in this business, there's only negotiation.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

In this case I'd say it was warranted. A producer calling out a network publicly and then a few weeks later again publicly saying he's done isn't a great way to get negotiations going, to me.

The whole thing is unfortunate, because even if Showtime does go on with it, even if the actors do because they are under contract or need the money, they will be trashed as being traitors and ungrateful.

I wonder how far along this is, if Showtime may just pull the plug. It's not like it was going to be a huge hit for them anyway, more just a cult show that might sell some DVDs.

• Members

Oh, it was going to be (and may still be) a massive hit. You can bet on that. Even if curious people tuned in just to see what happened, it would/will be absolutely huge.

IMO Showtime won't go on without Lynch, and the actors won't either. I doubt all of them are contracted yet. Either he's for real and he's done, or he's doing business. And yeah, it's a harsh way to handle things. But it happens. And Showtime is now basically begging him to come back. Despite all the agita, if it is a strategy you couldn't have planned this better.

• Members

Kimmy Robertson was approached to do a podcast tonight with Journey Through Twin Peaks creator Joel Bocko, presumably to discuss recent events. She left a simple message in response:

Mädchen Amick, for her part, has taken to Twitter to laud Lynch for sticking by Peaks to make sure it is "the best it can be" and applauding fan efforts to pressure Showtime. I would not suggest any of this is deliberately coordinated by the cast and crew, so much as fatefully apropos and entirely strategically predictable.

Meanwhile, WTTP has this:

Edited by Vee

• Members

Sherilyn Fenn is apparently also urging fans to take to social media, so this is now a concerted effort by many of the cast who are close to Lynch. This would also appear to answer the lingering question of if Audrey would/will return.

If Lynch truly believed all was lost, I don't think he'd let his actors take this route - he'd gently tell them otherwise. There is a possibility that he told them 'we can't do it without X, now we need to make sure the people know'. It's a strategy that's served TP well in the past - in 1991 Lynch, Frost and the production all encouraged the "C.O.O.P." fan movement, promoted it, and lobbied to see to it the show would continue beyond Episode 23 (Josie's death) instead of being cancelled early. They went on talk shows, you name it. While they only cowed ABC briefly then, I think they have Showtime over a barrel this time. But we shall see.

• Members

Peggy Lipton gets in on the act. Also apparently supporting the push to tell Showtime to give Lynch what he wants. It seems the actors have coordinated their efforts, either with Lynch or solo. Kyle MacLachlan's people reportedly have not responded to any inquiries about whether he would continue without Lynch. My guess is no, and I doubt Showtime would either.

Reportedly, the crux of the conflict is Lynch differing with Showtime on the specific scope and budget required for this kind of production. We've re-posted details about this before, but according to a key source over at Dugpa who had the first scoop on the show to begin with, Lynch regards the project - nine hours, no commercials, shooting on film - to be equivalent to that of a nine-hour feature film. Showtime is offering a budget for nine episodes of television. To Lynch, it's not enough to properly produce a project of this scale.

This may all seem like whatever, but as the source notes, fighting over money and budget is extremely common and normal for Hollywood. It's just another negotiation. Lynch happens to be very good at playing the PR game and has all the leverage, and he has almost never, in the history of working on TP over the decades, settled for less. He and Frost have also always been very adept at working with their audience and fanbase to get what they want, even well before the days of social media. It's just business, and everyone knows it. This is a prime example of a fanbase being utilized for the right thing.

Edited by Vee