Twin Peaks returning to TV??

Soapsuds

• Members

I never knew any of that about Michael Anderson. I thought he was dead too. I feel somewhat embarrassed by that now.

What's the rumor about him and fandom?

I saw Catherine Coulson's comment, basically that Lynch told her to stay out of traffic. I wonder how long she's known.

I wonder if we're going to hear anything from Dana Ashbrook or LFB or James Marshall or Sheryl Lee or Kimmy Robertson or Michael Ontkean some of the others.

I saw that Robyn Lively has a rarely updated Twitter. Maybe she will say something. (not really expecting to see that character again though)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm sure we'll hear from the rest, or some may not speak publicly, depending on their level of involvement or social media exposure. I have no doubt Sheryl Lee, Kimmy Robertson and Ontkean are on the short list - I personally think Sheryl Lee, Ray Wise and MacLachlan are at the top - and if Mädchen is back I suspect Dana Ashbrook is as well.

I don't know what the deal is with Michael J. Anderson, whether it's a beef with anyone in the production or the fandom. It's just a vague bit of gossip I read. I wonder about Sherilyn Fenn. I have no doubt she'd do it, and she and Lynch are still friendly. I assume they'd want to bring her back, they know Audrey was incredibly popular.

I do hope that Lynch seeking out Everett McGill means we will see both Ed and Norma again, if only a little.

• Members

Dugpa, the premiere Lynch site, is now claiming on its forums (and I think it's confirmed) that Michael J. Anderson has since posted this on FB:

From what I've read, I suspect whatever issue he had with the fandom may have had to do with financial compensation for the annual fan events.

Welcome to Twin Peaks has an article up elaborating on Joan Chen's comments on her blog:

There is more on her blog, I believe, which is linked at WTTP. Chen has always been very complimentary about the show for the most part, and I think she's being too hard on herself since that plot did end up dragging. But she also may not know about David Lynch and Bob Engels' ideas about using her again post-FWWM, so who knows what could happen. (ETA: For the record, Dugpa also claims Chen and James Marshall were both expected back for a Season 3 - they were off filming movies - and material involving her 'dead' character in the final six episodes, as well as the finale, was cut.)

Also, the owners of the Double R Diner are excited.

• Members

I apologize if this was posted somewhere: Catherine Coulson reprises the Log Lady for, of all things, a tweens' music video.

God, she has still got it. I used to watch those Bravo intros every Friday night when I got back into the show in high school. I'm so glad she is pretty much the first confirmed cast member. (And I wonder about the old rumors about Jürgen Prochnow's character in FWWM being Margaret's husband.)

• Members

Joan Chen interview from a few years ago.

http://www.npr.org/2012/03/15/148678021/joan-chen-motivated-to-fight-asian-stereotypes

I can see why she was concerned about Orientalism in the Josie role (although I felt like they focused less on that and just a little too much on "intrigue" and on making Josie a victim - if anything was offensive in that story it was Piper Laurie posing as a Japanese man), but like you, I think she beat herself up too much.

Apparently Lynch's granddaughter did makeup on the video. And one of the girls said Twin Peaks is her second favorite show. I guess it shows how Twin Peaks has lived on for further generations.

http://welcometotwinpeaks.com/inspiration/log-lady-pretty-little-demons/

• Members

I remember my big sister being obsessed with this show when we were kids. Mom wouldn't let me watch it because she thought I was too young to handle it. Given how excited fans were over this news, I decided to go over to Hulu and watch the pilot. Pretty awesome but Mom was right, I wouldn't have gotten it back then. I'm eager to binge watch the rest. I hear it drops off at the beginning of season 2 before finishing strong.

• Members

I think Mr. Tojamura was too insane and wonderful to find offensive. I know the other Asian actor in question (who played "Jonathan," Eckhardt's man who was after Josie) was not offended, though he did find it goofy - which it was supposed to be.

The Josie character was often mishandled by the show after Lynch stepped back - she was a classic film noir archetype he has been consistently fascinated by in film after film, a "woman in trouble" caught up in mystery and darkness, whether she's played by Isabella Rossellini or Laura Dern or Naomi Watts or Laura Harring or Sheryl Lee or Patricia Arquette. So much of his films are about women struggling through darkness. And of course, Josie was originally meant to be played by Rossellini, and was so focused on at the beginning of the pilot film. I don't think anyone truly understood how to use her properly but Lynch, even though I do think her storyline, while convoluted, managed to follow the basic thematic framework of Lynch's sort of fascination about these types of women. She had plots within plots, she got trapped in them, and then she was spirited away by the evil in the woods, lost in the void. That was, I think, a deliberate choice, and it's something that - for Lynch, anyway - transcends any racial type. He's done that with female characters of any ethnicity. But I fully expect people who don't understand his work to start calling him a misogynist in the run-up to 2016, the way Roger Ebert (an otherwise wonderful man and great critic) once totally misunderstood Blue Velvet.

Lynch always has this stuff in the back of his head, and I know for a fact Josie was not in the original Mark Frost script for the final episode of Season 2, at all. So the idea to use Chen's stunt double to play Josie in the Lodge (hidden behind the curtains) had to be Lynch. Who knows, maybe we'll see her someday.

• Members

I think this did come across in the first season. I liked the twist that Josie, who was seemingly the victim, was actually the one manipulating foolish Catherine.

In the second season it just seemed like that entire plot was stranded. You knew Josie was in danger from David Warner, but we rarely saw him; we mostly saw Catherine's scheming, and then the return of her brother, who mostly seemed like a slightly kooky old man. The only memorable thing Josie had that season was the hot sex scene with Michael Ontkean.

I was so angry when Cooper got Harry to snap out of his mourning Josie by just dismissing her as a prostitute.

• Members

I don't think Coop was dismissing Josie as a whore so much as a woman whose entire existence in TP was built on deception. She was Eckhardt's creation, and in addition he was probably angry about being shot.

I was always curious about that backstory - I think Andrew or Eckhardt mentioned finding her in a club in Hong Kong - and I always wondered if what they used to talk about re: Josie and "Judy" might have shown David Bowie's character from FWWM warping into her backstory just as he had warped to and from Buenos Aires (in the deleted scenes).

• Members

I'm going to see if I can finally get the series soon on DVD and watch it in time for the new show. My parents were huge fans when it was originally on (I was only a year-two years old at the time), and even taped the final episode when it aired (which I watched out of curiosity about ten years ago--I don't really remember much if it, though, save for some of the last scene, so I should be fine), and I've always wanted to see it myself. I've always been a huge fan of the instrumental theme, and I finally listened to the vocal version yesterday. So haunting and beautiful.

I look forward to finally getting to see it all. :)

• 2 months later...
  • Members

64deb9d77cb9c061a8d9ff785da7da60

" data-width="466">

Archived