Lauren Bacall dies at 89

Shawn

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

She was a true beauty when she was younger, and she possessed one of best voices of any actress ever. The list of people she worked with is amazing. She made some good movies too. Key Largo, Designing Woman, Written On The Wind, To Have And Have Not, Orient Express, Millionaire, Big Sleep...not bad for someone never considered the greatest actress. RIP

• Members

What she lacked in acting talent, however, she more than made up for in charisma. These twerk-happy ho's of today could learn a lot from someone who knew how to be sexy and alluring without coming across as a drunken, illiterate, half-naked slut.

RIP Ms. Bacall. May God be with you (& Bogie) and all your loved ones.

• Members

She was a stunning beauty, and one of those women who remained beautiful. I know some women consider the word "handsome" an insult to a woman, but I think she fit that well.

She also had such crazy charisma.

She was a great example of the gods and goddesses the studio system found and built, and which are so rare to see in today's industry.

Spooky that she passed away so soon after Robin Williams. I try not to believe in that "three" rule, but wow.

Lots of tributes:

http://deadline.com/2014/08/lauren-bacall-death-reactions-818487/

• Members

Lauren Bacall was a notorious pain in the ass IRL - she was, I suspect, deeply insecure about being such a complete product of the Hollywood star machine from a very young age, to the point that a lot of critics today dismiss her as just that.

She was not the powerhouse actress or technical talent like an Ingrid Bergman or Hepburn or others of that era; instead she was a personality, a molded creation built by the studios and men like Howard Hawks. She had something that you both can and cannot teach, a very specific star quality and onscreen charisma that a lot of other big stars coast on today. The difference, I think, is that unlike a lot of them Betty Bacall never wanted to coast on charisma - she demanded to be taken seriously, she wanted to move in all the inner circles but also make everyone know and recognize that she was as good as the rest, whether she actually was or not.

Even when she wasn't as good as them, she came from humble roots, she was taught to work hard, she never stopped working. She had some great turns in modern arthouse films like Lars von Trier's Dogville and others, stuff a lot of the old Hollywood stars would never think or dare to touch. She always wanted to appear to be on the cutting edge, in style, even in her 70s and 80s. She kept up that old studio system work ethic and she held on very, very tightly to the classic style and the old grit. Lauren Bacall was a product, but she was also a very hard worker and a real legend, for all the right reasons. She earned her right to be a pain in the ass.

Archived