General Hospital August 2014 Discussion

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Tell us what you like about Friday's show. We may not (and probably won't) agree.

The same can be said about blanket statement like the show sucks without much details. It isnt justifying it's called having a discussion which i thought was the point of this board.

You like Nina? Good for you, that means you!re in for a treat but what is it that you like about her? The way MS portrays the role? The fact that she is creating angst for SiAm? That she is bringing, in your eyes, something special that wasnt there before her big entrance?

There is a way to develop beyond the it sucks/it rocks statement. Neither are good or bad opinion in and of itself but it doesnt contribute much to the discussion.

And be willing to accept opposite view.

I really enjoy Levi which is a very unpopular opinion on any board i visit but I am willing to back it up with what i feel is good argument.

I think ZG is cute and i think Levi manages to make what I feel would be a pretty dull storyline slightly more enjoybale.

And no this isnt justification. See how it work jonny?

• Members

I think part of my issue with the so-called hunks of today is that I need my guys to look like, well, guys. I need them to be well-built but not necessarily "jacked"; and while the hairy ape look is never a good look on anyone, I don't think a man should walk around looking as if he's been turtle waxed within an inch of his life either. A man, IMO, should be more "handsome" or "sexy" than " pretty." Know what I mean?

• Members

I think MS is just all wrong for GH. Her acting style no more meshes with the expected level of acting on GH than Cady McClain's does with Y&R's. That isn't a slam on MS, per se, it just goes to prove the point of how not every actor is right for every show.

• Members

What s the expected level of GH acting? The myth always was that GH had good acting, but most of the cast have been stinking up the joint for years. Tony Geary occasionally turns in a good performance. Other than that, Finola Hughes, Jane Elliot, Kathleen Gahti and Maura West are the only ones who show any sort of talent on a regular basis. Of them Finola Hughes gets the least material to work with and hasn't had anywhere to shine lately.

• Members

I definitely think there is an acting style for each network and some performers are able to move from one network to the other without missing a beat.

I feel that the acting is a bit more stiff on the CBS soaps, even more so on the Bell soaps tbh.

Which is a big reasons why I have a hard time getting into BB and YR

I think the NBC soap acting style isnt one that allows the performers to shine as much as they could but there are exceptions (ED is a fantastic actress who can navigates from one network to the next with a lot of ease, i wish i could see her on GH to be honest)

But as in any soap, performers that has been on for a long time often end up phoning it in.

• Members

Natural acting on GH more often than not is not acting at all. Kelly Monaco, Nancy Lee Grahn, Michael Easton...they all pretty much just recite their lines the way they the actors would if they were in these situations. People when they speak are not all that entertaining for the most part, and we say things with no flair and no theatrics. That's fine for real life, but in a fictional drama realism doesn't work all that well, especially on a soap opera. So then there is the TV version of realism which sounds real but really isn't. Most people in real life do not pause for dramatic effect at the drop of a hat and stress the right words to give their speech extra punch.

I love Maura West on GH but there is almost no realism to her performance. No one in real life perpetually talks like a cliche femme fatale from some old movie, but MW always spices up her lines in that kind of way, and the wind up is she brings her scenes to life in a way Kelly Monaco never could. Michelle Stafford is so so. I don't really pay much attention to her scenes because that story seems like filler fluff just waiting for Tony Geary to come back, but it seems like she is trying to sell her scenes. And then there is Michael Easton. He couldn't sell ice in the desert.

I was watching on YT an old interview with Bette Davis, considered a great actress by most. She said she always tried to go beyond realism because the audience paid to see her on screen and they deserved something more than what could be found in their living room (or words to that effect).

Archived