I have a comment on the UCSB shooting

Eric83

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It makes you wonder, how does someone end up so fucked up? Was he born that way? Was there something someone could have done to save his soul and empathy along the way? And if not, how much is his fault and how much is just a hideous predisposition? It's a really scary and touchy subject. I wish everyone could just be happy and healthy. :(

• Members

Dear Ole dad thought he could buy the crazy away. Elliot lived a very privileged life. Dad moves onto a new family and leaves son with mom as he hopes for the best. Took action when he learned Elliot was coming after his replacement family.

• Members

Well part of it was he had Asperger's Syndrome. At least that's what I just read in this article on it:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2639177/Parents-shooter-read-manifesto-driving-stop-son-heard-massacre-radio-revealed-investigators-search-moms-house.html

I find it extremely peculiar there's not one mention of his autism or on/off therapist meetings in the manifesto? (At least in the early parts where I'm at). I can't imagine he didn't know? Seems so strange to me.

ETA: I'm reading counterclaiming articles saying he had an autism and it allegedly went untreated. Others say his father stated if he did, he wasn't aware. Omg, let me stop.

One of my cousins has Aspergers, and as I read this manifesto the way he expresses himself is so similiar to my cousin It's insane. Not saying my cousin's like him AT ALL but I notice the way individuals with that form of autism put things is so similar. It's really taking me aback.

• Members

I think you missed the entire point of that woman's story. She just wanted once in her life for someone to stare at her legs or whistle just once whereas you say yourself you get whistled at or hit on quite a bit. She just wants to be you once, that's not so hard to understand.

• Members

No, I get the point of the story perfectly and I feel sorry for her. However, that doesn't mean that when I get hit on by men who I have repeatedly turned now, get whistled at while I'm just trying to walk to my car, or have men do nothing but stare at my legs that I should just suck it up, take it, and be grateful that someone finds me attractive just because some woman somewhere out there would love for it to happen to her.

• Members
Thats not the reason he posted that. He was posting that to say women who get cat calls day in and day out should be grateful because some women do not get them at all. Which is typical rape culture B.S.

Then again that poster blamed Trayvon Martin for his own death so I am not surprised he bring some mess like that in this thread.

ETA: Three boys in my metro area were arrested for gang raping a girl whp was drunk and there are seriously people blaming the girl for getting drunk around men as if they just couldn't help themselves to putting their stuff where it didn't belong. Society kills me acting like men just cant help themselves and shouldn't suffer from consequences when they rape a women who says no or too drunk to consent. I know that's what that sicko shooter probably felt with his deranged ass.

• Members

It took some time for this to really set in for me because at first I thought surely I misread your post. Surely nobody would post this on the internet, let alone even think it. But now that it's settled in, let me just start in with a big old what in the actual !@#$%^&*]? Posts, sentiments, and thought processes like this can easily be labeled the common denominator for the problems in our society. It's certainly easy to understand that there are people who *wish* they would get noticed, get attention, etc. But to imply that women who are every day subjected to sexual harassment of varying degrees should suck it up and accept it because "everyone else isn't as lucky"? Not only is that incredibly stupid and offensive - it's an incredibly dangerous way to think. It's one thing to sympathize or empathize with an individual who lacks self esteem and wants to be noticed. But to diminish the reality and severity of sexual harassment that way is downright wrong, on every level. To suggest that women should be grateful for unwanted gestures, touching, advances, etc. is ludicrous and insulting to the thousands of women who have been raped or assaulted in any way. Perpetuating on ANY level that a woman is at all to blame for such occurrences is beyond idiotic. This whole concept that you've portrayed is literally so offensive and ignorant that it hurts my feelings. But what would we expect from the man who thinks college education is a waste of time and thinks Trayvon Martin deserved what he got for daring to be a young man in a hoodie.

tumblr_m5tppnGY7I1qlvwnco1_r1_400.gif

• Members

I think I asked after some shooting spree last year how many deaths will it take for republicans to lose their gun fetish. Sarah Palin's hero and republican icon Joe The Plumber answered that by telling the parents their dead kids don't trump his right to have guns.

The Onion said it best:

original.jpg

Archived