GH’s Head Writer Ron Carlivati Interview: The Making Of The Nurses Ball 2014!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I like things about GH, even on its worst day and these are certainly close to them. I am generally entertained, either for legitimate reasons in a busy episode, or for sheer unintentional comic value. I liked things about last year, before the return of the unholy trinity and less so after. I liked 2012 quite a bit, and I do think this team deserves a fair bit of credit for saving GH that year and taking advantage of a tide of positive sentiment. I think they restored a lot of GH to GH after over a decade in the wilderness, and I think that's something that still holds true today.

I think there are many good ideas every week or month, scenes I enjoy, but they're often in service of poor stories or the ideas themselves are poorly executed. I think most everyone there is working with genuine love for the show in their hearts. I also think the show is an absolutely wretched mess with issues that have festered since Ron and Frank's OLTL days, and that it needs serious help. None of these opinions are, IMO, mutually exclusive.

If you're going to have a debate, debate but leave me out of it and let's try not to pigeonhole anyone.

• Members

There are a lot of things I like about the show. Then, I have to wait two weeks to see that story again. I don't think others' opinions are wrong, just not mine. I appreciate that we can all express our opinions on this board. Mine is that Ron and Frank need to take a hard look at the show, see what doesn't work on the show, and do their best to fix it.

• Members

Ok in my previous post I said GH justed going bad for me in fall 2013 but it actually haooened when RC/FV had to keep RH. KA and ME and gave them new roles.

Look they werent needed. GH has 50 plus years of history to play they can use

The cartoony of Heather Webber. I mean Guza made her a kiler in 2004 but that was 6 months and out.

I miss scheming Heather from 80-83. I want that Heather back

I hate how they had ti destroy AJ

That they couldnt write a better story for Robin

That Lucy had to [!@#$%^&*] Scott/ She got over that [!@#$%^&*] while she was on Port Charles.

Where are the growths these vets had. Why has RC reverted them back to who they where when they debuted

Where is the young crowd and why cant they be likeable

Why does GH play a story for a week then its gone for a month or longer.

The pacing on this show sux

It was great seeing onna Mills but why wasnt she someone tied to core families.

Why couldnt she be Celis Quartermaine or Monica's cousin from the 80's that owned the spa or even Rick & Steve's sister, Terri

I love Britt and yes she looks like Nathan but its too forced

as is Sbrina, Carlos,

I dont care about Nina cause I dont care about Silas

And they keep casting and casting

where is the cap?

• Members

Yes it was. He followed me all through the board saying offensive things on my posts. Then he would email me telling me what a horrible person/human being I was and how much he hated me. And how he wouldnt get banned because he had multiple accounts on here with different usernames. I dont know how many times I reported him to Errol till finally he stopped harassing me. It was awful. I wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy.

• Members

You saved me the trouble. Quite a few who accused those of us for liking good consistent soap of "bullying" have since removed the show from the DVR.

I have yet to see one person on the board criticize anyone for loving disjointed trash, but whatever some need to believe. We disagree all the time in the GH thread. Vee and I disagree quite a bit, and sometimes we go hard, but it's not out of disrespect. It's just the way we roll. Kman and I disagree as well. If some doesn't come into the thread, it's not because they are being bullied, it's because they don't want the truth about that rubbish fka GH.

And the title of this thread is legendary. "The Making of The Nurses Ball"? Likes it was some masterpiece? Lawd! moRon still doesn't get it.

• Members

Some folks need to learn the difference between being bullied and being disagreed with. Also sometimes you just have to accept when you have a minority opinion on this board. Hell I'm a Michael Easton fan. It doesn't get more lonely that that. LOL! I've watched my guy get shredded on the board for YEARS but you'll never see me defending him or fighting about him because there's no point. I'm not looking to change anyone's mind. People need to decide whether they want to take part in a discussion or lovefest. I'm sure there are RC fan boards out there somewhere.

What I find hilarious is the concept that people who like RC feel bullied. I remember when he first took over at OLTL and the entire soapverse was acting like he was Jesus, Mark Twain and Tennessee Williams all rolled into one and I was getting my ass kicked on a daily basis for thinking he was mediocre. Oh how times have changed! #vindicated

• Members

Overly dramatic much? That is NOT what happened. And you know it.

Keeping this on topic, I very much enjoyed this year's Nurses's Ball. Great performances by Kathleen Gati, who can do it all. Act, sing, dance. Ron wrote some great reveals during the ball. Loved the Lucy, Kevin, Scott reveal. A nod to history. Ron wrote Lucy in her underwear.

I just rewatched the episodes and I am very impressed with the cast and their talent and with Ron and Frank. Frank does a great job producing GH. Baby, Come Back to the Nurses Ball next year!

• Members

Exactly. People disagree. If someone doesn't like something I say, I usually try and understand where they are coming from and more times than not, I do see where said person is coming from. It's their opinion, like I have mine. I'm not going to get upset because someone doesn't agree with me. We all view things differently. I enjoy the different opinions, frankly. It's fun to debate and dissect the show. And it rarely gets ugly. I think that has to say something.

• Members

Listen, I think Michael Easton (or any other of these oft-maligned actors, for that matter) would be alright if a HW actually paid attention and wrote to his strengths. Writers such as Douglas Marland and Agnes Nixon used to do that. TPTB at ABC and GH (and before then, OLTL and PC) want so badly to make him "happen," but they keep giving him characters and stories that are not within his wheelhouse, quite frankly.

Archived