GH’s Head Writer Ron Carlivati Interview: The Making Of The Nurses Ball 2014!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If this is your example of being positive about the genre then it leaves a lot to be desired. Unfortunately, Carlivati's defensiveness and inability to take criticism seems to lead his followers to behave the same way. He's an infant who thrives on negative attention and his fans do their level best to indulge the mythology of Ron Carlivati as some kind of under appreciated creative martyr. He's not. He's just a lousy writer with a small, loud fan base who has benefitted from the hysteria of soap fans and press so desperate to keep the genre alive that they are willing to accept anything. RC could make a billion dollars a year and that doesn't make what he puts on screen a quality product. 50 Shades of Gray has sold over 100 million copies and it's still a terrible book.

• Members

Yes it is a terribly written book I can vouch for that! The only thing that kept me reading the first one is Christian Grey I couldn't stand Anastasia and that didn't last by the second in the trilogy I lost interest in him too. I read the interview and can't even muster up a response he really goes all out to sell his wares.

I didn't interpret a lot of what I saw the same as he does. As for criticizing Ron's vision of the show... its just my take after being a viewer for nearly four decades that's all no big deal. If you enjoy the show that's fine and dandy. Bottom line in order to criticize the writing you have to watch it and I think that's all that matters. I watch the show.

• Members

The problem with Ron is he thinks something "shocking" has to happen every day. (While this was true of "the Edge of Night", it was a crime melodrama, and expertly plotted by Henry Slesar then Lee Sheldon for years. It's clear that Ron and his writers don't have much of a clue as to what they're doing week to week.) He rarely goes for heartbeat, or if he does, rarely plays it to its logical and satisfying conclusion. The show has way too many scenes to allow the viewer to invest in what the characters are thinking and feeling, not just what is happening to them. If he could mine the emotional moments, in the vein of Claire Labine or Bill Bell, his GH might be more successful. But it's clear that GH under Ron/Frank isn't about character, it's about pushing plot at the expense of character. (Also, please, never let Tony Geary get near a microphone to sing again. While he can be a brilliant actor at times—he mostly phones it in these days—whoever thought it was a good idea to let him sing should be shot! It was so bad a had to change channels.) No offense to those who love the guy, but I really think he's burned out. Maybe it's time for a writer change.

• Members

I remember poor DM saying there was great twist and turns....never saw any...how many didnt know that Nina was alive?? Madeline and O being sisters came out of left field....lol and made zero sense.

Archived