Empire: Discussion Thread

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Another solid episode. I thought the Hakeem frame-up a little contrived, but the whole thing hung together and both brothers' songs were excellent.

Loved the scene with the sisters just sitting on Carol's porch talking about their options. The weary sense of danger to her and her kids because of Cookie was clear but understated, and I worry what will become of her.

Lucious's sleazy sage advice to Hakeem about Tiana and India was priceless. I got a major Whitney/Robyn Crawford vibe off that whole interlude, especially after seeing Tiana's hair in the subsequent dance studio scene. But times have changed and unlike Whitney, Tiana clearly doesn't give a [!@#$%^&*]. I like her straightforward, no-BS mercenary ways; she's becoming a favorite.

The beauty of the show and its drama is we can root for just about anyone at some point. Anika is not some just snooty bitch. I felt for her last week as well as this week. She deserves better than she's getting, because Lucious Lyon is clearly still in love with his wife and intends to have her again soon.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Also: Jamal regularly demonstrates more strength and darkness than Hakeem, who comes off like the relatively innocent but foolish naïf. First when he walked out on Lucious two episodes ago and again tonight with his baby brother, Jamal had a real cold, imperious fury to him. Sure, he's Lucious's heir apparent, but how deep does that run? I think he's not going to be the hero forever. And that's compelling, and still revolutionary with a gay character on a primetime drama.

• Members

did anyone catch dick sucking Rima from BGC as a video ho?

he was so dumb for agreeing. Lucious is sick and dying. When he gets sicker and/or croaks, there will likely be an investigation and doc here will be the one to fry

Edited by Cheap21

• Members

But what was Jamal defending from Hakeem, especially since Hakeem didn't know what he was being accuse off. In the end Jamal going to look stupid. Now would Hakeem except Jamal apologize. Once Jamal realize that Hakeem didn't do it. Hakeem going to have some trust issues with Jamal now.

Edited by MoTheGreat

• Members

He's trifling. And Andre was wrong for what he did but he didn't mean for anyone to get hurt. I loved Hakeem's look of hurt when he found out about that Rhinna wannabe. That being said the revelations on this show are way too fast. Lets show it down a bit. Although I get that this was all shot before hand and they weren't sure if it was gonna be a hit.

But still at LEAST give it one whole episode. They literally gave us something and then revealed it within 20 mins....

• Members

At least we got to see Andre show some concern for his brother when he heard there was a shooting. I'd say his judgement is off because of his illness. He's a smart guy and I think he otherwise would have realized that a robbery like that could go very wrong.

Also interesting that both Lucious and Cookie have committed murder in a relatively short period of time.

• Members

It's poor Hakeem now because he didn't do anything to Jamal for Jamal to treat him like that.

When Cookie and Lucious scold Hakeem, I like that!! When Hakeem do something to Jamal that he deserve a hit to the gut, Then I'll be on Jamal side. Right now I'm on Hakeem side.

& both parents needs to spend time with Andre. I know they think he's old & he doesn't need them but obviously he got parent issues.

Edited by MoTheGreat

• Members

Last week people were saying the episode was too slow now this one is too fast. I think once we get to the episodes that were done after the pickup things will even out a bit.

I loved how they showed that Cookie knows her business. She may be an OTT character but she damn good at what she does. At this point the only person who is fit to run Empire is Cookie maybe followed by Rhonda. None of the Lyon boys have what it takes.

I know that Lee Daniels said he wanted to rip the lid off of homophobia in the black community but I think he's also shining a pretty hot spotlight on the hypermasculinity of hip hop in general. They keep singing about hos, tricks and thots surrounded by scantily-clad women yet with the exception of Lucious, it's the women on this show that are getting things done.

Two jewelry related notes: 1.) When Lucious said he gave Anika the same kind of ring Burton gave Elizabeth Taylor I thought, "Did you not pay attention to how that relationship turned out?" and 2.) I need Hakeem to stop wearing those earrings. I can't even see his face for those giant pieces of Claire's Boutique glass stretching out his earlobes.

Edited by marceline