Y&R: Fairman interview with Mishael Morgan and Kristoff St John

• Members

Soooo, TPTB couldn't resist pairing Hilary with Neil. There are no words to describe my disappointment.

Kristoff, does it bother you that they have paired you with different women over the more recent years on Y&R (post-Drucilla), and none of the pairings have stuck? Do you think that Hilary and Neil have the potential to be a winning combo?

KRISTOFF: I do feel that way. I do feel there is a real juxtaposition tweak, where you have Neil this very straight-laced guy and she is straight-laced too, but because they hated each other at the beginning, this could be a romance of a lifetime, or it may implode. But to answer the other question, because Drucilla (Victoria Rowell) left Neil’s life none can compare in the eye of the audience and that is the problem. I lost my supercouple status when she walked out the door. It’s very difficult to replace that other half of a supercouple on soaps. That is why they haven’t been able to match the character very well with anyone. I feel that this could be the second time with Mishael, and actually, I thought Nia Peeples (Ex-Karen) when she was here was on the mark. And Angell Conwell (Leslie), I love working with. I know there was chemistry there. I just don’t think the audience was in full support of it.

I assume you don’t want Hilary to just become a “goody-girl” now.

MISHAEL: I don’t want her to be a total “goody-girl”. I want her to have that fire. I think that fire is what always makes the Neil character more interesting within a couple’s scenario, because he is so straight laced. So that fire is necessary to draw things out and you know the old saying, “Opposites Attract”? So, it’s cool. We will see where it goes.

But Devon (Bryton James) likes Hilary, and there lies a major conflict!

MISHAEL: Yeah, I think he does. I do see that the guys could be fighting over her, which could be interesting. But, Hilary looks up to Neil.

http://michaelfairmansoaps.com/news/come-on-down-yrs-kristoff-st-john-mishael-morgan-preview-neil-and-hilarys-the-price-is-right-experience-is-love-in-the-air/2014/03/25/

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wow. They always slip into these lazy tired stories with the black characters. I feel like a fool for falling for it AGAIN. Hilary should be with Devon, full stop. The only other option should be Jack based on chemistry. To throw her at Neil is typical. They need to suck it up and bring back Victoria Rowell or pair Neil with one of the white characters he has chemistry with. Nina, Sharon and Victoria are all decent choices for Neil, but they aren't pursued so they can put him with the new black token of the moment.

I wonder what will become of Leslie (who sucked with Neil as well).

• Members

This is the first time I have ever felt like a fool because I knew the other 5 women were headed his way. But I thought JFP and this regime had finally gotten it right with Hilary by putting her with Devon. But no. They just couldn't resist. So I guess now Devon will play angst for them along with Lily. *sigh* KSJ is going into pairing number 7 in 7 years.

• Members

Why? Why? Why?!

The real story was a Hilary/Devon/Jack triangle. Not a triangle with Neil. We've been there. Done that with Tyra and it was gross and not well liked. Hillary should not be paired with dull a** Neil. Like I've said, they should've put Jack with Hilary, making them the "new Jill and John--" Hilary being a social climbing, scheming vixen, and Jack moving into the patriarchal role with the trophy wife. Have Devon be the Jack-like character, the playboy, and he becomes a surrogate son for Jack while working underneath him at Jabot. Recast Kyle and have him and Summer (along with Abby & Tracy) oppose this union and try and get dirt on Hill. Throw Jill in the story (too) and have her serve as an obstacle for Jack and Hill because she sees herself in Hillary and she's Jack's old friend. Then have Devon take the initiative to secretly seduce Hill only to be caught by a jilted Esme, who takes photos of the two in the throes of passion. Have Esme blackmail the two and send Jack anonymous cyber riddles before Jack figures it out and has a heart attack a la John in 80s. I would've been all for that. That would've utilized history with a new spin on it. Make Hill the new Jill (that rhymes, LOL). Make Devon the new Jack. Jack the new John, and Jill the new Katherine. It'd be a nod to old Y&R as history would repeat itself but in modern time.

And dare I say it but unless they bring back Drucilla (VR ONLY) then they can kill Neil off. Seriously. Or send him off to NYC with Sophia and Moses. He serves no purpose anymore without the likes of Dru/Malcolm/Olivia surrounding him. He was always the weakest out of the Barber/Winters clan.

• Members

What you're saying seemed like where they were going and makes perfect sense. Having a triangle of Devon/Hilary/Jack with her having feelings for Jack, but loving Devon from a distance would be super soapy. Plus characters like Jill and Neil interact well with that group. Now I feel the dynamic is ruined and Hilary will be diminished in my mind by being with Neil. I also think Dru needs to come back at this point or they need to bring Olivia on. I don't understand why that hasn't happened yet. Bring Olivia and Nate on full-time and put Neil with her. It's a valid option.

• Members

Good story but makes no sense to create a surrogate son situation with Devon and Jack when they can just tell the same story with Devon and Neil. Which seems like what they are doing.

It seems they are also setting up something similar with Jack, Billy and Kelly. No way would they tell the same exact story at the same time, right? One of these will be a love match. My money is on Hilary and Neil since there are plans to recast Phyllis.

• Members

Ruse - a trick or act that is used to fool someone

No. I don't think Y&R interviews are used as ruses.

I think the interview is promoting TPIR and the story that involves it, which also crosses over to B&B. KSJ is joking around a lot in it. I think Neil and Leslie may find each other again on the dating site. I do not believe Neil would cross a line where Devon is concerned and I think he knows Hill is too young for him. Just because she has spunk doesn't mean she's for Neil. I definitely do not believe Ezzy is Devon's end game. I think she may be an interloper between Devon and Hill at some point.

Archived