Y&R: Fairman interview with Mishael Morgan and Kristoff St John

• Members

Well, first of all, I was kind of surprised with Leslie's conversation with Avery about moving on yesterday (day before?) so quickly. I mean that was pretty fast. I applaud her. I wish both in real life, and reel life, more people had that capacity for putting aside relationships that just don't work for whatever reason, and then sucking it up and moving on. But it's a very unsoapy response if you ask me. A couple of run ins, and rebuffs and poof, she's pretty much over it. I don't pay attention to the behind the scenes stuff, but if somebody is on their way out, my money would be on Leslie. Nothing that is happening with her currently points to any story that is currently being developed on the show as far as I can see.

I agree that Esme isn't going to be Devon's OTL. She hasn't revealed more depth than we've been shown on screen, and the writing hasn't indicated that there's enough interest in developing her character to create a multilayerd vixen with more heart. So she really seems more of a plot point to me that keeps that spark between Hillary and Devon, because we see that Hill is jealous and Devon is still concerned about what she thinks, while simultaneously Esme kind of keeps them from getting together through misunderstandings and lack of honest communication.

Hill and Neill have a genuine warmth and I can see that developing into something stronger. Not white hot, but sweet. Meanwhile it is Devon's turn to regret not acting on his attraction/interest. Hillary is still attracted to Devon but thinks he's not available/interested and that's off the table so she wants to see what develops with Neill. I can see a lot of potential for longing, angst, conflict, and a lot of drama with the story. All the characters are rootworthy for me (except freaking Lily). Neill is coming off a heartbreak, and I don't want him to be hurt (but I suspect he will be since that seems to be his perpetual condition). Devon doesn't really do much for me, but I think he and Hillary could be good together and they either need to recast him with a real hottie, or give him a shot at being legit hot. Stretch him a bit. Have him pursue and woo someone. And if that happens to be the woman his father loves and his sister hates -- it's a powder keg. And Hillary is still not some sainted martyr. She's just a flawed individual trying to find happiness. I can see her being drawn to Neill, even though I think it's skeevy that he had a relationship with her mother.

I wish all the AA characters weren't so isolated together in this story, but I've never been a strong advocate for diversity like some other people are (I don't oppose it, I'm just indifferent), so I don't really mind it as much because I genuinely like most of the characters (except freaking Lily). Furthermore all of these characters are also involved in this really intricate and detailed over arching umbrella/crossover story which I'm really excited about. So these characters will continue to interact heavily with the larger cast in that capacity.

As for Jack and Hillary -- those seeds have been planted. Maybe they will never go there, but Y&R does a really good job of sowing these seeds and cultivating these kinds of relationships on a regular basis so that when the time of their choosing comes, they're ready to reap a rich healthy story from them. I can be patient. Besides, I'm kind of interested in how PB and CMc are going to click.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You know, I'm not even sure he wants this to be a true love story (I didn't read the article because the more I hear words coming out of the actors' mouths, the less I usually enjoy them on screen). I think KSJ is more interested in people becoming invested in the story. He, like most of the older characters (usually female though) consistently struggle to remain relevant on all the soaps. I see him just promoting his story, and that's a good thing. I'm glad to see Neil get a story, even if I'm not really wanting him to win the girl at the end of it.

• Members

Eh.It could be worth watching. I just have to let go of hating the idea of KSJ being rewarded with yet another pairing when he hasn't had 1 of the 7 work in 7 years. I just have to let go of the idea that my fave Devon will never get a love story. I just have to let go of the idea that he could escape playing romantic losing foil to his father the way that is uncle Malcolm did. I just have to let go of what little excitement I had in the show. *sigh* I guess I could just take it as it comes to enjoy the story for story's sake. Which is not bad on paper. But execution always suffer on Y&R if thy name is not Newman. LOL.

• Members

He says that he thinks Neil and Hilary could be a super couple basically. LOL So yeah. He thinks it will be a true love story. He is also acting as if Neil is in a triangle with Hilary and Leslie. Actually I wouldn't mind that if he and Leslie got back together because I was invested in Leslie and Neil. And it wasn't even agenda based. LOL

• Members

Oh god. That's why I stopped following any actors on twitter and reading their interviews. He needs to tone down the desperation and play to the story. I have serious doubts tptb plan to make Neil and Hillary a marquis pairing.

It's like the cat and the hot stove. Once that cat sits on a hot stove, he will never again sit on a cold one. Luckily for me, I've never been into Y&R that much so I haven't suffered the disappointments. So far, I'm really loving it, but not so much I can't just go with the flow.

• Members

That helps. Because woe is me, I have suffered. LMBO.

But seriously though, if they play every beat of this triangle with Devon, Hilary, and Neil and have it featured 3 days out the week, I would probably love it. LOL

He is so desperate to have a pairing work. Poor thing.

• Members

It's not Kristoff's fault.

The pairings he has had that worked (Ashley) or could have worked (Victoria, Sharon) were taken from him or were never even given a chance.

Instead he was stuck trying to make horribly written relationships with actresses (Nia, Eva, Julia, Debbi, Angell) he was stuck with work on little to no airtime simply because all the actors involved were of color.

There's nothing wrong with actors of color being paired but when they're employed to be tokens they shouldn't also then be expected to spin straw into gold too.

Nobody blames Jess Walton or Peter Bergman or Doug Davidson for their various failed pairings. Instead the fault is laid where it rightfully belongs with the writers.

Yet Kristoff & Bryton are somehow expected to excel on a soap that constantly sabotages their characters & penalizes the actors for their hard fought success.

• Members

I know this comment is going to be slightly off topic but what's with those comments at the bottom of MF's interview with MM and KSJ? One of the comments stated that they hoped that Dru and Neil would bilk Devon out of his billions? Huh?! Are some of the posters on that site hitting th bottle before they post?

As for the interview, I don't know what to say except time will tell whether any of this pans out. Writers and producers often make changes on the fly and we often see storylines that start out at one point and go in another direction. For all we know, this could be a detour to lead fans to actually wanting a Neil and Leslie pairing after all. Or it could be a genuine attempt to test whether Neil and Hilary will work out. Or this could be some sort of weird re-staging of Jack, Jill and John 2014 with Neil, Hlary and Devon.

When all is said and done, nothing will be set in stone, the creative team reserves their right to change their minds (and change again) and the storyline, even in mid-stream several times over. I think KSJ knows that more than most, hence his jocular (keeping it loose) tone.

• Members

I agree to an extent. Actually I just agree. However, JFP gave him more to do and work with than MAB ever did. He and AC were given a real shot. At least I thought so. But the other pairings with the exception of Ashley (which was never going anywhere anyways) were designed to failed. Instead of sticking with any pairing and giving the viewers a chance to adjust, they moved on very quickly. I wasn't a fan of Neil and leslie at first either but they grew on me over the last 3/4 months. I wanted them to work. But it seems that they are falling into the same trap.

People do blame Peter Bergman for his failed pairings just as much as they blame KSJ. However, it doesn't stop them from wanting Hilary to be paired with Jack where they didn't want her paired with Neil. Therein, lies the rub. I actually don't blame KSJ although my statement may have made it appear that I did. I have always been one of his and BJs biggest defenders.

What failed pairings has DD and JW had over the last 7 years? I can't name one for DD besides MTS, which we all know was never going to last.

• Members

I agree to an extent. Actually I just agree. However, JFP gave him more to do and work with than MAB ever did. He and AC were given a real shot. At least I thought so. But the other pairings with the exception of Ashley (which was never going anywhere anyways) were designed to failed. Instead of sticking with any pairing and giving the viewers a chance to adjust, they moved on very quickly. I wasn't a fan of Neil and Leslie at first either but they grew on me over the last 3/4 months. I wanted them to work. But it seems that they are falling into the same trap.

People do blame Peter Bergman for his failed pairings just as much as they blame KSJ. However, it doesn't stop them from wanting Hilary to be paired with Jack where they didn't want her paired with Neil. Therein lies the rub. I actually don't blame KSJ although my statement may have made it appear that I did. I have always been one of his and BJ's biggest defenders.

What failed pairings has DD and JW had over the last 7 years? I can't name one for DD besides MTS, which we all know was never going to last.

I agree to an extent. Actually I just agree. However, JFP gave him more to do and work with than MAB ever did. He and AC were given a real shot. At least I thought so. But the other pairings with the exception of Ashley (which was never going anywhere anyways) were designed to failed. Instead of sticking with any pairing and giving the viewers a chance to adjust, they moved on very quickly. I wasn't a fan of Neil and Leslie at first either but they grew on me over the last 3/4 months. I wanted them to work. But it seems that they are falling into the same trap.

People do blame Peter Bergman for his failed pairings just as much as they blame KSJ. However, it doesn't stop them from wanting Hilary to be paired with Jack where they didn't want her paired with Neil. Therein

I can not. But does it have to be this way?

lies the rub. I actually don't blame KSJ although my statement may have made it appear that I did. I have always been one of his and BJ's biggest defenders.

Archived