Y&R Eric Braeden Interview with Michael Logan

• Members

The entire interview is an amusing mess...but here are things that just stood out...

TV Guide Magazine: You're in great company in this race.

Braeden: Well, I'm from a different generation, so I don't know most of those who are taking part. I don't recognize them, other than Adrien Brody, who is a wonderful actor.

TV Guide Magazine: Seriously? Not Corbin Bleu? Brian McKnight? Not even Vanessa Marcil?

Braeden: Who?

TV Guide Magazine: General Hospital? Daytime superstar? Emmy winner?

Braeden: No. But I do know Carmelita Jeter, one of the fastest women in the world, which obviously peaked my interest. She ran the 100 meters in 10.64 which is absolutely extraordinary. It is insane!

Per Victor's behavior...

TV Guide Magazine: Do you think it's all justified?

Braeden: I would not be as Machiavellian as Victor is. I am much more of an up-front person. I would just tell people to go f--k themselves. But it is what it is. What I don't like is the whole Newman family being against him. Don't like it at all. If that were the case with me in real life I would tell my family to go to hell. But, then, I would never let things get that far.

TV Guide Magazine: March 24 marks Nikki and Victor's first anniversary of their fourth marriage, that is yet things are pretty rocky for them right now. Do you think they're heading for yet another divorce? Nikki's really had it with him.

Braeden: And he's had it with her! That's what I resent about popular culture in America! Why is it always the woman who has had it with the guy? There's a tendency in this country dictated by revenue to make men look like a------s. They do that in order to sell products to women. Look at most commercials! The men are portrayed as schmucks! As boobs! As doofuses! The kids are smarter than the men. The wives are smarter. It happens in comedy series all the time, too. The man is the idiot and the woman is always raising her eyebrows or rolling her eyes in exasperation. I resent the hell out of that and it ain't gonna happen with me and my character!

TV Guide Magazine: But it kind of is happening. Nikki seems to be getting the last word in a lot of those fight scenes with Victor.

Braeden: It is getting too much! I would not tolerate that in my personal life. I believe in the equality of sexes. I discuss everything with my wife. There's not a major decision I make without consulting with her and vice versa. There must be mutual respect. But for Victor to stand there like a schmuck and let Nikki have the last word? I don't like that. There is this underlying presumption in some of the scripts that the women have the upper hand. No! I resent that!

TV Guide Magazine: The Victor versus Ian Ward face-off was terrific!

Braeden: Perhaps, but I did not like that they watered down the script for those scenes. I honestly don't know what happened, but we were not allowed to do it the way it was originally written. It was not what it should have been. But Ray Wise is a wonderful actor. What has he done before?

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Young-Restless-Eric-Braden-Toyota-Grand-Prix-Victor-Nikki-1079444.aspx

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I haven't read the whole interview, but nothing shocks me anymore when it comes to what Braeden will say....

The "last word" thing still puzzles me cause I don't understand why he always makes this an issue where for YEARS there have been scenes of him not getting the last word whether it was with Jack,Nikki, even Jill etc.....(i have episodes to prove that) unless that's more of a recent thing on his part.....

so did he make it clear or not if despite his bitching he is still acting out the scripts as written?

• Members

EB truly is the best! I love how he points out the way TV dumbs down men. It's so true and he knows exactly the reason why. Victor is sick of Nikki - heck ya! He is absolutely on the mark regarding the fact that Victor wouldn't want his family against him, but that's what's created DECADES of drama. If everyone fell in line, there'd be no story. He is truly an icon.

Archived