Condescending Mainstream people who bash soaps

• Members

This is for those of us who is tired of mainstream press/entertainers who bash soaps.

This thread is also for those who know people that should understand soaps but don't.

I know people who watched AMC for years and they would say, "Yah Yah they did social issues like AIDS and Drug Addiction. The truth is those stories were highly contrived and plot driven. They did them only to try to cut the campy fluff factor."

Also, this thread is for those who are tired of people comparing Soaps to romance novels.

Anyway, Lets discuss!!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Jesse Tyler Ferguson saw an episode of AMC at the gas station and then tweeted something about know I understand why its cancelled. Soap fans gave him hell and he back tracked

Claire Danes was offered soap roles but turned them down because she didnt want to get into an acting rut (Before My So Called Life)

• Members

I really don't understand adult men and women who act like teenage fan girls freaking out over everything from Glee to Gray's Anatomy to Downton Abbey, who then turn around and mock people for liking soap operas. What makes their show so "superior?" Why is it apparently okay for grown women to debate whether they're Team Edward or Team Jacob with regard to the Twilight books and films, but it's somehow NOT okay to be really into a romantic triangle on a soap?

I am mystified by this.

• Members

There are some legitimate stigma's out there...one of the higher up managers at my place of employment missed 6 weeks of work and came back to the staff meeting to see that we had the same issues as before he left. He compared it to a soap. He said you can miss them for months on end and come back and pick right up. Nothing had changed. That is very true. I couldn't be mad at him.

What annoys me is people who write and watch shows like scandal, grey's anatomy, anything on the CW, and don't think it is a soap. Delusional.com

There are some legitimate stigma's out there...one of the higher up managers at my place of employment missed 6 weeks of work and came back to the staff meeting to see that we had the same issues as before he left. He compared it to a soap. He said you can miss them for months on end and come back and pick right up. Nothing had changed. That is very true. I couldn't be mad at him.

What annoys me is people who write and watch shows like scandal, grey's anatomy, anything on the CW, and don't think it is a soap. Delusional.com

• Members

9 times out of 10, the dismissal of this comatose genre is justified - especially in this day and age. Why in the world would anyone take this sorry excuse of shows seriously when they are outmatched in primetime and reality TV?

Furthermore, I haven't the foggiest idea why anyone should backtrack on their correct assessment (even someone as annoyingly obtuse as Jesse Tyler Ferguson) about the airtime wasters that are soaps post-1999.

• Members

This thread isn't really about certain stereotypes but things across the board. What about people 30 years ago?? Those horrible things people said about them yet writers didn't live up the the stereotypes at that time. The point of this thread is to vent or tell stories about people who don't understand soaps at all. There are plenty of people who are in there 60s that NEVER WATCHED A SOAP yet they bash them. I know someone who bashed them and I was telling them one of the reasons why I am liking new AMC is because they are 30 minutes per episode. This person who is in her 60s didn't know that soaps expanded to an hour. She thought they were still 15-30 minutes long.

Also, the Jesse Tyler Ferguson situation is grating regardless of the quality of AMC. You see, if you ever watch only one scene let alone one episode of any soap you don't know idea what is going on. A lot of people, weather this is 1973 or 2013, will always get the wrong idea of a soap if they don't watch at least a week or two. You have to either grow up watching them or fall into them.

• Members

Maybe it's my "Trekkie" DNA but I couldn't give a damn whether someone "bashes" soaps. Just like I don't care if people bash sci-fi conventions. I'm not in high school anymore and I don't need the understanding or approval of other people to love what I love. I dislike this fanatic edge to fandoms that destroys perspective and makes people take offense at the realization that other people find your "thing" silly or stupid. Stop worrying about what other people think and just enjoy being a part of this crazy little tribe.

And honestly, I challenge anyone to tell me why soaps don't deserve the bashing they get. I've been watching for most of my life and I will bash with the best of them when I think it's deserved. I will also defend what I think deserves defending.

• Members

Marceline I sort of feel the same way as you. As someone who has been into scifi, if people don't get it, that is their problem not mine. I love what I love, and if someone criticizes it may be because it isn't for them and isn't necessarily a commentary on my personal tastes. I do find it annoying if someone never watched anything and says it is crap, but if I dare say something negative they attack. I see that as bull.

• Members

I can't say I really care what people who don't watch soaps (especially entertainers) think about them. People don't like the same things. I just laugh about it when I talk to non-soap watching friends because soaps are kind of funny when you try to explain to someone what's going on and what preceded it. A few ended up hooked themselves!

Archived