Condescending Mainstream people who bash soaps

• Members

To be fair, half the fun of watching them with other people is making fun of them for me, and I'm a HUGE fan. Recognizing these shows aren't what they used to be, you just gotta accept what they are and love 'em anyway, warts and all. Reward quality when you find it, but don't get caught up in the stupidity and others' desire to feel superior to you. It's not worth the headache. It's just TV.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't agree that you have to watch weeks to know what is going on...soaps are riddled with trope. Anyone who has watched a decent amount of TV and is fairly intelligent can figure out stories and where the writers are going in a few scenes. Soap writers are particularly heavy handed. There is no subtlety left.

• Members

I hate "entertainment writers" who "try" to watch for like a week, then write an article explaining "soaps are dead", and then proceed to mangle every fact that any fifth grader could fact check before publishing. All those articles bemoaning GL's demise would give me a headache, 'cause 83% of the time, they couldn't bother to get anyone's name right (other than maybe Kim Zimmer's).

If I as a Seinfeld hater mangled Julia Louis-Dreyfus into Julie Louise Dingbat....I would look like an idiot. And rightly so. But Tom, Dick or Jane puts another nail in "All Life Turn's" coffin, and they're brilliant. Whatever.

One man's Grimm, Lost, Mad Men, Breaking Bad or NASCAR, Duck Dynasty or WWE is another person's As The World Turns, Guiding Light or DOOL. They're a lot more alike than they are different. And knowing your favorite baseball players stats, down to how many times they've struck out with bases loaded when facing a left-handed pitcher is no different than being able to recite Lisa Miller Hughes Eldridge Shea Colman McCall Mitchell Chedwyn Grimaldi at the drop of a hat.

• Members

One of the worst things about those who run soaps today, and the soap "press," is that they believe the common view is that soaps are a bad joke, so they pander to this view. You have something like GH, which is a pathetic joke, and the headwriter is in nirvana because Chelsea Handler or The Soup point and laugh at what garbage the show is. This is success to the soap world today. Being a pathetic laughingstock is success.

• Members

Anyone who criticizes today's soaps won't get a fight from me because it's the same crap in and out. These shows have been on the air for so long, so repeating SL are bound to happen. My problem is that TPTB don't care to make these shows the best they can be. If you are going to redo the BJ heart transplant story, put your foot in it. Give the audience a reason to care and cry about it. As it stands, the shows are polluted with the favs of executives and each story is built around them. No one is using their entire cast any longer, making well rounded shows. And black characters could not be further from being critical parts of any show or storyline than they were 30 damn years ago.

So I really don't care if someone wants to mock soaps! They have my consent!

• Members

They won't get a fight from me and I don't understand the need to label everything involving some kind of drama as a soap opera as if soaps didn't get many of their elements from melodramas. And like Chit brought up the many excuses made for lack of diversity on shows that run 5 days a week most weeks during the year. If people don't take soap operas seriously I don't blame them especially when things like the one in this clip is considered good soap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6lSWd-_fao

Archived