Showtime: Masters of Sex

EricMontreal22

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I find Master's so repellant as a person, so far. I'm watching episode 3 right now. I cannot believe he's making his wife go through all of these treatments when his sperm count is the problem. I keep waiting to find out there's more to it. But even so he's an ass. Not as bad as the stalker, but still, completely unlikeable.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

The acting on this show is exquisite. Allison Janney is killing it each week. Finn Wittrock had a pretty big emotional scene this week with Beau Bridges, and he acquitted himself well.

Libby's flirtation with the black handyman (FLEX!) is veering a bit into "Far From Heaven" territory.

• Members

I hate hate HATE that they went there. It is so PC and anachronistic. A white housewife in 2013 Missouri is not going to dance with (or even speak to) the black handyman, let alone one in the 1950s. I hope that was a one-shot deal and they're not going to make a storyline of it.

Until we see an erect dick, this show isn't the daring, boundary-pushing show I need it to be. I'm enjoying it, but they're not pushing any boundaries that weren't already pushed 10-15 years ago.

• Members

I am a week behind (so haven't seen last night's) but I don't want a Far From Heaven story either. Still, I think it's too simplistic to say that a white housewife in that time would not even speak to a black handyman. We've already been shown that Libby is liberal minded, that she virtually has no friends and lives in this isolated world... Very little else about her.

I agree, the show is awfully tame really. I don't blame the show, but the advertising, and even the opening credits make it seem like it's more explicit than Tell Me You Love Me or whatever that couple's therapy show was with all the (apparently fake) cocks.

Still not sure how a Pulitzer Prize writer like Michael Cunningham was asked to script this episode (he didn't do the story) but I did think the final scene between the Prov and Finn Whitrock was really well played. Some of the other stuff was too obvious.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived