Showtime: Masters of Sex

EricMontreal22

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Out of the current new shows? Yes I would.

I really love the New Yorker's recent TV critic Emily Nussbaum (she wrote a great retort to the NYTimes who went on about how Game of Thrones wouldn't appeal to any female) and this is her take, which pretty much matches up with mine--the complaints and all. Read it and decide for yourself http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/television/2013/10/07/131007crte_television_nussbaum

• Members

And while I don't trust the majority of TV critics (and I admit, the old TV critic at the NewYorker was a particular snob) it has a very high meta score. http://www.metacritic.com/tv/masters-of-sex 85% positive Like Emily says it seems to straddle the titillating True Blood style cable dramas and the more chaste Six Feet Under ones (if those can be called chaste.)

• Members

I liked the pilot a lot, but lost interest in the second episode. The show just seems so... redundant (for lack of a better word). It's like "oooh, we're talking about sex when it was taboo" and it's like, who cares?

Lizzy Caplan is the standout actress and character. Everybody else seems so cartoony and one-dimensional. It is well produced though.

Maybe I should give it another chance, but I reckon I would still be bored.

• Members

Oh, I know zilch about comics but I know what you mean - it's always annoying when they screw up the authenticity of a period setting , even with something minor.

I didn't watch last night but someone told me that it is turning into a semi-procedural with a medical case of a week. So not going to give this a second chance then - if I wanted such nonsense, I'd guzzle down whatever rubbish CBS is serving up.

• Members

I thought it was ok. I've only watched the first episode. I'm interested in Johnson enough to watch another episode. I take it that it really is Master's wife who is infertile? I just can't believe he would put her through all these procedures if he had a low sperm count.

• Members

I haven't seen anymore epsiodes but your Six Feet Under comparison sounds about right from what I could make out from just 2 episodes. I guess calling it a semi-procedural is exaggerated then.

Glad you enjoying it though. I concur with the earlier comments that it isn't a very good year of freshmen shows, and this extends to non-broadcast as well surprisinglyt (for me).

Archived