Showtime: Masters of Sex

EricMontreal22

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm thinking of tuning in (I dismissed it as a bootleg Mad Men when I saw the promotion for it), as I glimpsed parts of the last episode (when they went to the Black hospital to start their research at the end) and was a bit intrigued.

(For the record, I don't care for Showtime series in general, as something about them always falls short of what they pride themselves in being.)

• Members

I think Showtime is starting to improve with that. While I get why the deliberate pacing and style of both Penny Dreadful and Masters of Sex aren't to everyone's taste, they strike me as a step up in the so-called "prestige drama" attempts Showtime has been doing for a while now and some of the other shows in the pipeline at least seem intriguing--but I definitely agree with you that in the past, more often than not their shows felt like they somehow missed the mark compared to other cable stations (they worked best for me with some 30 minute "dramedies"--what a stupid word--like United States of Tara.)

I thought the last two episodes were amazing--I had to watch them back to back due to travelling but between episode three which was nearly entirely a two hander between the two leads in one setting, a hotel room, and this past one... (I hate to see Libby's passive aggressive racism towards Coral, but it seems realistic--especially given how Libby herself is in such an awful situation that the way she gets out her frustration is taking it out on the only person "beneath her" in terms of social position.)

Archived