Falcons Crest Reboot!!

allmc2008

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Many of the original series' best writers -- David Jacobs, Leonard Katzman, Arthur Bernard Lewis, David Paulsen, even Howard Lakin -- have either retired or passed away, so I don't think the new series has much of a choice.

I shouldn't say a FC reboot or continuation wouldn't appeal to anyone...but if I had the task of bringing back the series, I wouldn't know where to begin.

• Members

Instead of rebooting prime-time soaps of the 80s/90s.. why not come up with new, modern day prime-time soaps.

I mean with the current economic situation, you could totally do the hard working single mom with the over responsible child, selfish child, etc... with one of the kids working hard to become successful on their way while the other child could scheme to marry/steal money.

• Members

Sadly Hollywood would rather reproduce nostalgic classics (and ruin them) or invest in reality shows. The name of these shows alone with bring a legion of dedicated fans that a new pilot might not immediately.

IMO, it's all about getting money quick and reboots of classic shows & films is an instant while an original idea isn't. Hollywood (especially TV networks) lacks patience, hence why so many good shows are canceled way before their able to build a solid audience.

• Members

The problem with shows like Revenge, OUAT, and Scandal is that they are too limited in their stories and featuring one major arc as opposed to numerous arcs introduced at different paces.

I think new writers should be made to watch old episodes of Dallas, Knots landing, even early seasons of Dynasty to see how a serial drama should be written and plotted.

• Members

I don't think shows like "Falcon Crest" or "Dynasty" would fit in today. They really belonged in the more flashy and over-the-top 1980s. Rich beautiful people with loads of money, lavish mansions, lots of jewelry, fast cars and big hair.

They were simply long-running versions of miniseries like "Hollywood Wives", "Lace" and "Scruples".

• Members

I half agree with this, but I have a different reason. I think they don't work today because nobody (or at least the people chosen) knows how to write for them. Dynasty written like it's first two seasons would rival Scandal. Knots Landing at various peaks would also be the perfect watercooler show. Falcon Crest, rebooted-not as a continuation, could rival cable shows and be in the vein of an American Horror Story. It's no different from remaking and adapting old movies and old books. There stories are timeless, they just need the right writers. New Dallas proved that if it was good, there is an audience. They got a really good turn out for the pilot episode, but the season was so bad they lost most of those viewers.

• Members

Glamour and excess will never go out of style. They just need to be treated incidentally, almost like the elephant in the room while the scene is driven by well-scripted drama. Sometimes it's easier to remember the clothes on Dynasty than the good or bad storylines, but things really were going on besides bitches just sitting around being catty and looking fabulous. I have yet to catch Scandal, but I have heard more than a few comments on those Access Hollywood-type shows and on FB about Olivia's gorgeous clothes, particularly her coats, so people will always get off on that kind of stuff. It's just got to be the icing, it can't be the cake.

Archived