AMC: Bianca's Anorexia Question

• Members

First, are there any episodes of that story on YT? I would really like to see it considering my sister was diagnosed with it around that time. Did they only rehash the same old "All People with Anorexia see themselves as fat in the mirror" and make it a really one sided issue? In reality there are a lot of complications involved. I don't think my sister ever thought of herself as fat. She actually had it twice and both times her main issue was that she felt all food looked gross and disgusting.

Second of all it is conman for people with Anorexia to have it twice (or more than twice in some cases) so I am wondering if in the future they could address that by having Bianca go through it again.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Considering that Eden Riegel is pregnant, I don't see them doing an anorexia relapse story on AMC anytime soon. Relapse is definitely possible, and if you'll recall the Cambias story, Erica was very worried that Bianca would relapse following the rape and was so proud of her for not losing weight - not realizing that Bianca was actually pregnant.

• Members

Miranda having anorexia or Bianca relapsing? I vote no on Miranda having it. Smacks of Jessica also having DID.

I remember Natalie Paulding's first day when her Bianca arrived at Linden and surprisingly little after that. IIRC, her eating disorder stemmed from her unhappiness with her looks and the pressure of being Erica Kane's daughter, plus issues at home and with her divorced parents' less than stellar relationship. I do recall NP's mother stating that Susan Lucci owed her daughter some thanks for being the center of the story that won her the Emmy.

• Members

For a second I thought that would be good because I love generation cycles but that would be kinda similar to Jessica having DID. That said, I am sure they could have Mirranda getting Anorexia if the execution was 100% spot on plus a year or so of build up.

• Members

I wouldn't be opposed to Miranda developing some form of self-hurt, but I'd rather they go with something we have yet to see dramatized on the soaps. Like the disorder where one pulls out her hairs and bites the root, the spelling of which I won't butcher at this time.

• Members

I've been hoping for a cutting story on soaps for ages but I don't think Miranda is the right character for that. Given what we've seen of Celia she definitely strikes me as the self harm type and the fact that she's been living her life in a cocoon of extended PTSD blackout she'd be the perfect person to turn her psychological damage inward.

• Members

Maybe they can do a reverse cyber-bullying story were Mirranda becomes the bullier. Bullies tend to Bully because they do not feel comfortable about themselves and most people like me who were bullied could never grasp that when the bullying occurred because the pain was to great. With this idea maybe they can explain why someone becomes a bully and the story could conclude in the fact that there are safer and nicer ways to express hurt without bullying other people and forcing them to feel your pain.

• Members

I can't remember much of NP's Bianca either. I remember being disappointed that they ousted Gina Gallagher who did bratty child of Erica pretty well with this meek, whinier version. And I remember 1 or 2 eating disorder related scenes (one being Lucci's Emmy reel) but I don't think the story played out for for that long or that it was extremely well developed from the Bianca standpoint- I could be wrong though, I was pretty young when it aired. I've looked for Youtube clips a few times, allmc, but could never seem to find any

• Members

Yeah, I'm thinking this s/l played out during my first year of college in '98 which is why I missed most of it. I did go to the Emmys in '99 when Susan won, so that sounds about right.

I forget the Degrassi character's name (Elly?), but I always associate her with a cutting storyline.

Archived