• Members

I'm kind of with you and AMCGal- I hear all the points that the character is needed & would enrich the canvas and the focus on JR & Colby. But I just don't see it working. There are very few roles that I think are unrecastable and owned by one actor but unfortunately, I think its the case with Adam and Stuart.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

David Canary OWNS Adam/Stuart Chandler. Just say no to any recast, period. I so miss David Canary. His multiple Emmy's are a true testament to the wonderful ownership of his character(s) Adam and Stuart. I raise my glass and toast to his brilliance. So gifted and talented. Thank you DC.

• Members

It would be sad if PP dwindled down to a less than 1 hour format, a seasonal show/ Just might kick them out of the Daytime Emmy's in the future, after 2014. They would no longer qualify due to lack of a minimum of shows for qualification.

There are other awards that they would qualify for, the Webby's, new media type awards, GLAAD, NAACP Image awards, ALMA's, among others. They would need to match B&B 30 minutes 5 days a week for qualification. I wonder what the Daytime Academy is looking at right now with massive cuts/reductions in productions for both AMC and OLTL.

and all these long extended hiatuses are not great either. PP is going to have to stick to something going forward if a 2014 happens.

• Members

I had to watch and re-watch that confrontation between Jesse and David about half a dozen times. It was OTT and I loved it! And I am a person who prefers realism and eschews camp but on rare occasion, 'go big or go home' seems appropriate and that was 80s soap delicious!biggrin.png laugh.png

Except for Adam putting in the briefest of appearances (did DC decide to put in an appearance on his way to another destination? Just passing through?), the rest of the gala just didn't disappoint. Okay the dance contest was lame but who cares??

We got a really scrapping dust-up between PV's two Divos.

We got cake being dumped on a couture gown.

Water poured over the head of the town Vixen by the town's Wallflower, who has surprisingly got a few thorns.

And we got a glimpse of the trouble ahead for Cara and her (in)ability to keep her secret.

We got a hint of jealousy from the Count toward his business associate, and increasingly the target of his growing affections.

And we saw just how darn perceptive a person Opal is with faces and personal histories.

I haven't seen any spoilers (I've been avoiding them) but I'm hoping for:

a coming conflict between Brooke and Dixie over J.R.

more tension between David/Cara/J.R. over the concealed identity of Oliver and perhaps Opal and Angie will be the earliest to put the pieces of the puzzle together.

an eventual meeting between BCT and Opal-- Opal's been so self possessed and self assured lately, I'd like to see how she'd react to seeing BCT strutting around town wearing one of his signature Palmer Courtlandt suits.ohmy.png

As for the Adam/D.C. situation. No it's not satisfying to see him less than part time when he re(presents) such an integral part of the who--and it's more than symbolic but I'm a bit worried about the hit that PP could take (and you know they'd get the blame from detractors), if they try to re-cast Adam or replace David Canary.

I'm not one to advocate for bowing to public pressure, especially if it represents a small but vocal group but PP has gotten a lot of criticism for the way they've handled certain production issues.

Do they really want to take this huge issue on?unsure.png

About the concern that an Erica Kane return could diminish the balance of the prominence of the show's other characters, it could be a very valid reason for concern but it doesn't have to. It would really be up to the strength of the writers to provide balance. And it looks as if Susan Lucci will probably only put in an occasional cameo appearance (at most) anyway. So I don't think the writers nor PP want to upset the show's balance by putting all their eggs in SL's basket. They're probably not eager to repeat the errors of Daytime TV soaps' past.

• Members

The DC Conundrum has no really good resolution. I think that a recast would be a disaster. Not just because DC is so beloved and has been so missed but because this version of the show is new and people are still reacting poorly to other changes on-screen and BTS. Think of the people still yelling "This isn't the real Colby!" Also, because this actor would have to play Adam AND Stuart. That's two mountains a replacement actor would have to climb.

I don't like the idea of killing Adam off. We went through that with Stuart and it was one of the biggest mistakes the show made in its last years. It seems like such a hideous idea to kill off Adam when the show went through such contortions to bring back Stuart and we still haven't seen him. Plus - and I acknowledge that I'm a baby about this - I don't want to kill off Adam while DC is still alive. I feel like Adam should get the same treatment Phoebe, Mona and Palmer got and be kept alive as long as his portrayer is with us.

I guess they could have Adam "die" in a plane crash like Maria and Zach before him and bring him back for short stints as a ghost. But still what about Stuart? Send them down in the plane together? That's just cruel and I think the fans would riot.

The fan in me just wants to hold on to this actor for as long as we can but the realist in me knows that it's probably time for PP to start looking at a contingency plan.

• Members

I kind of agree with you & Marceline. While for the most part I hope PP largely ignores the FB commenters, this is one decision where they'd want to take fan response into account. You have people complaining STILL 3 months in that they want the real "sweet" Colby back (1, 2 or 3?) and saying they can't watch OLTL because of a new Matthew & Destiny--- recasting Adam is just a huge much larger, much louder headache they don't need. If they killed the character, they'd get huge flak too probably even if it was with DC's blessing. I wish DC would appear more but given the options I think PP is doing the best they can out of a bunch of unsatisfying options- trying to make him an offscreen presence & opening the door for whatever appearances he's willing to make.

• Members

As usual, we completely agree. I wish I had more to add, because I found the shows absolutely terrific (I was going to pace the episodes out but simply couldn't stop myself watching the second episode--Sigh.) Knowing that we're heading to a season "finale" it actually felt like this could be the climax leading into two mor eepisodes for the finale--I'm glad we have 6 more.

• Members

Just a great mix of everything I love in soaps--some quiet moments (like Colby's reaction to her dad), many OTT moments that had been building up for ages, comedy, etc

I admit I shook my head that JR felt the need to shoot up before his presentation, but then again he's an addict in general and while unlike say cocaine or taking a big drink, it seems odd to me that you would *shoot steroids* before facing a crowd (do they calm nerves the same way?) I get that he sees any substance as a crutch.

I like Vee saying he'll just think of that bar we keep seeing as The Valley Inn, though I remember they showed the name of it once--anyone remember what it was?

• Members

I think it would be especially problematic because PP did get Canary in some capacity, used him in the promotional stuff, gave him the last frame of the theme. And then all of the sudden a nu Adam for season 2? Just no. I always thought the Clint recast worked on OLTL because we had some serious time in between Jerry & Clint Ritchie.

• Members

Oh, God, I thought you were all joking about there being another dance contest! No! Nooooo!!!!

David Canary has had exactly three lines in these last two episodes. I was also unnerved by Julia Barr pulling him up off the couch. I really hope he's alright and this isn't a health thing. I don't remember him being this off when he was on in the first block - he had his fair share of lines.

Archived