The Tonys!

EricMontreal22

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I like the idea of the characters from other musicals introducing numbers, although it's a little rough in execution. Can't say anything about Matilda interested me - somewhat flat singing, too many voices drowning each other out, weird staging (the main girl singing at the start, isolated from the rest of the characters, looked like she needed to go to the bathroom).

• Members

Bring It On was also too noisy to care about.

The Cinderella people chose wisely - a big part of the show, and most of the singing just involved a few characters. They also seemed to have more of a chemistry with the audience. The School of Rock guys were funny.

Happy for Judith Light (not fond of her dress, which looked like a wedding dress from Death Becomes Her).

NPH showed that old school grit in making that cheap segment about "playsicals" work. I hadn't heard about Scott Rudin's angry ad in NYT until this. I don't follow Broadway closely...sometimes I forget how crazy some of the people are.

Arthur! I'm happy.

What is Kinky Boots?

The Mike Tyson jokes aren't funny (and he looks like he's going to hit someone).

That Liam Neeson/Oliver Platt thing was awful.

Ew, Jon Cryer. Nice to see Martha Plimpton though (and she seems to be aging into Dianne Wiest - how Parenthood).

• Members

The Motown group was a little bit like a tribute act, but I liked most of them. You can't duplicate MJ at that age, but the little boy did a credible job. So did the Diana Ross impersonation. She got that talking through her plastered-on smile down pat.

Cyndi Lauper. Was this her first time involved with Broadway?

Spider-Man got such terrible publicity, I didn't realize it was still on Broadway.

Annie - eh. I'm not a huge fan of the musical because I don't think of Annie as being sweet and innocent (when kids crossed her she had them paralyzed for life - I'm not kidding). Still, this was decent enough, and I've always liked "Hard Knock Life." Jane Lynch seemed more like the wacky neighbor on a Norman Lear sitcom and less like Mrs. Hannigan.

• Members

Very clever idea. I mostly associate Andrew Rannells with having one of those melting plastic faces, but he had some good humor here. Laura Benanti was hilarious, and wow Megan Hilty nailed that run. I thought they all came across well. Now I hope they get shows on a network that doesn't suck. The homage to "What I Did For Love", the flub NPH made at the end...I enjoyed all of it.

Andrea Martin!

• Members

I was too engrossed in my little "Sherlock" marathon with Mama Khan to watch this year's ceremony. Good to hear Judith Light scored another Tony, though. Two Emmys, and now, two Tonys. Up next: two Oscars? tongue.png

Off-topic, but I'd KILL to see Patti LuPone and Bernadette Peters onstage together just once. A train-wreck waiting to happen? Perhaps. But it just seems weird to me how these two divas could be huge Broadway stars and yet they're never seen in the same space together. It's almost like watching an episode of some sitcom where the star plays herself and her identical cousin from out of town.

• Members

Not sure why The Christmas Story needs a musical, but at least the number was a nice change of pace.

Is Hal Prince the guy Eric (in Montreal) frequently talks about?

I wonder if Pippen is better live, or was better at the time it first came out. It looked very overly stylized and precious and dated.

Cicely Tyson - you could tell how moved she was by the experience. I'm also glad she kept her dignity instead of going into one of those "love me and my life" routines some lapse into.

The dead people montage needed larger font to show us the professions and shows people worked on. Other than that it was OK.

• Members

The opening was beyond amazing!

The Matilda kids blew me away and now I want to see that musical.

I wasn't too impressed with the majority of them.

I only liked the quick transformation for Cinderella, I thought that was a very cool visual. I found that song lacking but sadly I now only think of Whitney & Brandy when Impossible comes on for Cinderella. No one else can do it justice like those two.

Here are some of the performances if you missed them the first go round.

Opening Number

http://youtu.be/7BraXq07kkM

Matilda

http://youtu.be/5k8B9Fjz1vY

Kinky Boots

http://youtu.be/pQqe_EISRLs

Bring It On

http://youtu.be/FD3ymJl7fKw

A Christmas Story

http://youtu.be/TZDSDq5KtJM

Archived