OLTL: Thursday, June 6, 2013 Discussion Thread

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Good show today, though again it was all slow character stuff. The Vimal/Rama stuff is the most sensitive, old-fashioned soap stuff they've ever had - very adult, smart stuff - and Vimal was actually presented as a sexy, virile man. Really wonderful. I also love Nora's new alias, which reminds me of both Luna and Al and their radio shows. I could watch Bo and Nora together forever.

Some great La Boulaie stuff with David, Dorian, Jack and Sam - I love how much time they take to show the family together on this show, as opposed to on ABC when D&D were usually sectioned off somewhere hamming it up. And Jack hauling Sam around was cute. David clearly is not comfortable with Dorian in his show, and Rama is clearly still infatuated with David. So that could be interesting.

The Todd tag was not necessary solo - they should've had a little more of him or the tattoo story interspersed throughout today.

• Members

The show has also done a great job not mentioning any members of that family with the same name as the 38th President and a car company. There were a few duds in the final years of the network run, duds that are best forgotten.

• Members

Loved Vimal and Rama! Reaffirming their love, showing off the hot sari to relive their wedding, the spread of Indian food, Vimal talking about his grandmother's opinion of Rama ("the hips") ... The only thing is, I think Rama would have been playing more contemporary, Bollywood-ish music, not the stuff she had on ... But maybe.

Also liked Dorian being jealous of Rama. Confused why David wouldn't want Dorian to star in his video though.

Matthew's life lesson from Snoop Lion was a little afterschool-special if that's all it takes to get him to step up, but I still liked it.

Nora's talk show still seems like it could be cool, but I'm shocked Bo had gone behind her back with the social media and the flyer. Hopefully it won't cost her her job.

Todd at the end finally read the note ... I guess he was in suspended animation the whole time. But wow, looks like they are going after his family.

• Members

*As much as Vimal/Rama have holes in their story so far...they are the South Asian Jessie/Angie (Praise Agnes!) in being the first of their kind to really represent.

*I choose to believe Todd mulled over that note for a long time before opening it. Maybe had a few drinks while at it.

• Members

LOL and good point re: Todd.

I think for me to agree with Vimal and Rama having that level of significance, they would have to be second-generation Indian-American, instead of having such strong ties to India still. But it's certainly significant and a step in the right direction.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Finally watched this...

I'm glad other people were also confused about Jack not knowing Rama.

The whole scene with Matthew hanging up Snoop's poster almost like it was there to be worshiped was a little strange, and his exit with the theme was just a little cheesy, and I don't believe Dani would be fangirling over him, but the scenes weren't bad. I agree with those who don't think Matthew would change his mind based on Snoop (I think he'd probably just see him as one of his dad's friends), but at least it was an attempt to move story forward. My favorite part of this was Jeffrey teasing Dani about having a Bieber poster on her wall. That was one of those moments where I actually did buy them as friends. And it's always nice to see comedy with this group. The product placement was jaw-dropping. I'm not complaining, as I love that type of stuff (I don't know if anything in soaps in recent years amuses me as much as that Wanchai Ferry scene on DAYS does), but...wow.

I really, really enjoyed the Rama/Vimal scenes. I think the actors just have wonderful, natural chemistry, they always have, even when the show ignored it. It's always nice to see an actor who does not fit the cookie cutter idea of attractive allowed to be attractive...and he isn't waxed and shaved to the nines (you can tell this isn't a "Cartini" show). I know that this probably won't end well, as he's not on contract and she is, and they clearly have more plans for her, but I hope they stay together. I'm also glad the awful con artist stuff has been dropped from the ABC version.

I had to laugh at Natalie being at the bottom of that list to Todd. That does sum up their relationship. Jessica should have been on there, but I'm not going to complain over lack of Jessica mentions.

While it's a little absurd that Bo would print out posters with Nora's photo, I still enjoyed these scenes and I much prefer Bo and Nora in lighthearted stories.

Archived