AMC: Thursday, May 2, 2013 Episode Discussion Thread

• Members

I wondered and posed this question in the OLTL thread:

Ive been posting my thoughts here but where should commentary on the recap shows go? Thursday's thread, Production thread or should a separate thread just for them?

If a separate thread was made, I think all talk could go there and not a new one made every week as I don't foresee the traffic being too big. Or maybe a monthly thread for it depending on how things go. What do people think?

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Great idea Cheap! I think a separate monthly thread for Friday recaps/interviews will be fine... not a new one each week. Maybe pin it towards the top and every Friday we can just discuss in that same thread every week.

I didn't love the host - she seemed very rigid even though she was very well put together and overall very professional. She seems better suited for hard news and not fun fluff like this :D

• Members

Long national nightmare. I love it. I actually met Lorraine Broderick right after AMC ended and she was delightful and let me pick her brain a little bit. She talked about wanting to bring back Hillary for Tad (when Cady was on ATWT) and wanting to do much more with Brooke and other vets that was all blocked by the network. She seemed particularly not excited about Greenlee/RB and basically confirmed that Rylee was a mandate and no one could understand why.

I was so impressed with Ginger on the recap show. This is someone who has been at the show and gets what real long-time fans like. Loved her statements that young characters are important but need to be tied to multi-generational stories. Knowing the show is in her hands and how much she values Agnes' vision makes me a much calmer fan.

• Members

It always seemed to me like Tad/Dixie was a mandate, too, or at least, pandering to that fanbase. Honestly, I never liked Dixie and feel that her returns just keep repeating the same story for both of them, keeping them both in a rut. It does make me wonder about the soaps in general, over the last years/decade, how much of what we see is the whim of an executive or because of the vocalness of certain fanbases...and the latter element is what has me wondering how much stock PP is going to put into the comments and demands they see online. Especially because I think that, had some of those unavailable actors (esp, Minshew, Budig and Mathison) signed on, we would be getting the same old and those couples would still be front and center now. In other words, I do wonder, if this new vision/version of AMC has more to do with actual creative vision or simply out of necessity because of the unavailability of certain actors and unwillingness to replace them.

I get the whole appeal of nostalgia and I understand the idea of wanting certain couple/stories to go on. But I noticed something when I recently decided to tune in for the 2-3 week period of GH's 50th anniversary after many, many years away. I was curious to see the returns of some of the old characters. But the stuff I found interesting 20-30 years ago bored me now. The dynamic of jealous Scotty, wavering Laura and self-obsessed Luke made me feel like nothing changed in 30 years. Mac/Felicia vs Felicia/Frisco still? Brenda still bouncing back and forth between Jax & Sonny? Kevin was a bright spot but he was hardly on and then he was gone. Anna & Duke sort of had me interested but they're way past the torrid, star-crossed lovers stage. And again with the frozen Cassadines? No, thanks.

The fact that there are new and fresh elements to AMC 2.0 appeals to me more than if the status quo of 2011 had simply been carried over to the internet. The balance of new/old is what's tuned me back in, while apparently tuning others out because either their favorites aren't back or they don't want to take the time to learn who the new people are. The ones who complain that there are too many characters they don't know make me want to ask how is it any different when they start watching any new primetime show and you have to learn who everybody is. But they feel differently with soaps and soap characters. People have posted about it's like "having family back." It's almost like that small-town stereotype of not liking strangers, not embracing change, and not accepting that even longtime couples sometimes move on to other people. Those might be the viewers that start dropping off soon if they don't get what they want. Will be interesting to see a few months down the road, or however long it takes for some of those familiar faces to show up, what the focus and balance of the show will look like then, and how many people stuck around to see it.

• Members

No. That's exactly the problem. The cast is horrible as it stands now, especially as it does not grow. A handful of vets, sorased characters and pick of newbies and other meaningless characters does not make All My Children.

Again, what families? There is not one core family on the series except the Hubbards and Chandlers at the moment and even then we a missing core players in those families as well. All of the families on this show are fractured by the fact that there is virtually no cast.

It would be different if they had stronger actors, stronger characterization or had interesting stories as it stands now nothing about these new characters have been interesting enough to devote part of a show to, instead it feels like they are trying to patch the episode and fill time because they have no cast. Which by the third episode had me tuning out. The show is riding off of two stories it feels like the JR vs. David rivalry and Jesse's missing daughter, this obviously isn't enough.

• Members

I feel like maybe they used 'manslaughter' to not tip us off exactly as to what he did and what happened that night...I give up at this point trying to figure it out

Really hoping Billy Clyde is back over the likes of Ryan but I'm sure it will be the latter. We already know Dimitri is coming back so there's one.

Archived