GH: Discussion for the Month of March

• Members

It also doesn't help his already huge ego when the press goes on and on about how much of a savior he is, etc.

Yes, on paper, he is loads better than Guza, but when you actually lay it all out. He's his own kind of terrible. He got me back into OLTL but then he quickly drove me right back out. He's doing the exact same thing on GH.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I wish they had used a more current picture of her. And also minor but wish it had said Elizabeth. No one on the show calls her Liz. That's by and large a fan nickname for her

Wow I totally noticed that they have her most significant relationships represented on there except for Jason. After Lucky, he was the main person she was linked to romantically and its odd to see him completely omitted. They don't even acknowledge Jake there unless that pregnancy test was for him, but based on the hair it looks like Cameron

• Members

I truly enjoy a great deal of Carlivati's GH. The problem comes when they put so many of the key pieces in place and do a lot of good work, and then the other two or three days of the week are often so [!@#$%^&*] lazy.

This whole Luke/Laura/Scott/Anna/Duke/Tracy mess is symptomatic of how he used to handle the OLTL vets a lot of the time in later years. I tolerated the first several bedroom farce stories he did with Viki and Charlie, David and Dorian, etc. because it worked initially, but after a certain point it was clear he had only one well to go for lighter fare, or at least only one strategy he would bother with.

I mean, let's be [!@#$%^&*] serious, shall we? However you feel about the couple personally, this is Luke and [!@#$%^&*] Laura, and Duke and Anna to boot. And what am I watching? Scott "Arglebargle" Baldwin in an asexual engagement to Laura where she can clearly barely stand to be intimate with him, running around trying to keep Laura from telling Luke about Anna just to avoid Luke telling Laura that Anna is not with Luke anymore! Because he's afraid Laura might go back to Luke if she knew that drunk old !@#$%^&*] was single again. How [!@#$%^&*] old are these people? And how big are they, as characters? Very [!@#$%^&*] big, but they - along with Duke and Anna, who were also a big deal - are made small by the writing. They're stuck in this junior high "confused quadrangle" storytelling far more suited for Starr and Michael, or Rafe, Molly and T.J. Can anyone seriously, honestly say this is what they expected Luke, Laura and Scott to be playing at when these actors returned? It's beneath them. It's clown shoes stuff, barely fit for the kids, and it looks terrible on the adults, particularly stars of this stature.

And I love Kin Shriner, okay, I do, but GH has been treating him as a grumbling cartoon for over a decade. Since Scott came back to GH full-time under Guza he's pretty much nothing but a snarling, grumpy caricature muttering "Spencerrr" every two minutes, the mean ol' Shylock to all of Port Charles. And yet somehow women like Bobbie and Laura continued to tolerate him and this behavior. "Oh, Scotty!" That's all they ever say! For real? This dude tried to put Lulu on Death Row! He let Laura take the heat for his killing Rick! And apparently he still blames it all on Luke ending his Doug Marland Christmas flashback romance in 1978! (If I have to see that same flashback where Laura is apparently on the verge of hysterical collapse in front of the Christmas tree because she loves Scotty so much one more time I swear to God I will slit my own throat) Now I have to watch him run around town trying to stop Laura from passing Luke a mash note as they all try to renew their AARP membership? What would Dominique say?

Look, there's plenty of [!@#$%^&*] to rake Luke's drunk old ass over the coals for - Earth to Tony Geary: nobody thinks it's charming or hard-hitting that Luke is still hitting the sauce after running over his grandchild, it's just pathetic - but Scott's grievances are just idiotic at this point, and it's even more idiotic and unbelievable that Laura and co. would continue to associate with him in this way. I just roll my eyes every time Scott turns up now, and that's not fair. Because Kin Shriner is worth a lot more, and so is the character, if they would get back to writing him as something other than a grumpy cartoon miscreant. Scott moved on from Laura years ago. He had a life, he had love, he had a lot of things. Why don't I ever see it? And why doesn't he ever have a serious conversation with anyone?

These people are stars, okay? All of them. At least Duke and Anna had the semblance of their old argument about his dirty dealing ways the other day, which is rooted in their history and adult concerns. They just need to keep getting decent material. But Luke and Laura? Well, I hope that when the Ice Princess story gets going for real, their material will finally get as big as they deserve. Right now it's just lame. And it's not their fault. I think Geary and Francis are actually doing the very best with what little they're getting at the moment.

And don't get me started on that creepy Frisco. Christ.

• Members

I saw one of the Serial Drama recappers praising the boozehound Luke scene (the one with Tracy recently) because oh of course Luke would always go back to drinking. So maybe this is more popular with viewers than we realize. I don't know. It just shows me how far daytime and its moral standards have decayed.

All of this story is only worthwhile if you immerse yourself in 30-35 year old Youtube clips. None of the actors are checked in and the writing isn't there. If you can't give actors new material then just don't bring them back at all.

• Members

I think there's plenty to praise with other vets, but the L&L&Scott stuff is really grinding my gears at the moment. And it's symptomatic of a much more insidious laziness on the part of the writing. I think Genie Francis is giving it everything she can but the material is barely there on the page right now. Maybe it'll shift into high gear later - probably so, knowing RC - but when you open on weak stuff, that's not enough of a justification every single time. And RC has made that excuse many, many times.

• Members

I guess I just don't care enough about Luke anymore to even let his drinking register with me. It's totally wrong he's doing it and it bothers me no one calls him out on it but the character has become so unberable over the years that nothing he does surprises me. At all.

A part of me wishes they'd just send Luke off with Laura and be done with him. I'll take Robert back anyday over Luke. He can sub ANYTIME.

Archived