For Those Who Have Direct TV

reallyhateskateonlost

• Members

This was scrolling across the top of GH today:

Attention DirecTV Customers: Beginning on March 1, 2013 we no longer expect this station to be carried by DirecTV. This blackout of our programming will only affect DirecTV subscribers. Dish network and cable subscribers will not be impacted. Only DirecTV subscribers are expected to lose access to this station on March 1st. We apologize for any inconvenience and suggest DirecTV subscribers call DirecTV at 1-800-DirecTV (347-3288) or make alternative arrangements to continue to watch our great programming. Thank you.

Go Digital...lol

xG6mT.gif

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I only watch ABC once a week so I haven't seen that yet but DirecTV has had a bunch of disputes lately. Viacom, the new Comcast channels, and Fox. I'm actually better off watching local channels without the box because there are digital dash channels that the box doesn't pick up such as Antenna TV on 5-1 and THIS TV on 5-2. It really makes no sense to pay more to cover their carrier fees when I can watch those channels for free. Of course, the problem is missing out on the non-local channels but I can probably catch the shows that interest me online.

• Members

My reccommendation is to always use an antenna for your local stations. No pesky blackouts with negotiations with satellite providers, etc. When I had DISH you had to pay extra for your local channels, which amounted to 75$ per year... the same price as a top of the line antenna for a rural area. And the superior picture quality will astound you. If you saw Satellite/cable in a side by side comparison with Over the air antenna, you would NEVER go back to cable or satellite. And in many areas, over the air provbides more stations than what satellite and cable do, especially if you live between 2 markets. I was only able to get from DISH, the Kansas City stations, minus one of the independent channels. With the antenna, I get all of them, including the independent, plus PBS from Sedalia, and ABC from Columbia.

• Members

Heavens yes. You only need a digital reciever box if your TV does not have a digital tuner built into it. If the TV is 3 years old or less, it should have the digital tuner built in, unless it's what they call a "TV monitor" which means it has NO tuner, and must be hooked up to cable, but those are the cheapest of the cheap. Zenith and Channelmaster digital receiver boxes are the best.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/watch-free-1080p-tv-with-these-indoor-antennas/

More and more people are cutting the cable compeltely out and using antenna plus netflix subscription and getting away with 1/2 the price of cable.

• Members

I have DirecTV and haven't noticed that.

I'm tired of shelling out way too much for satellite. I, unfortunately, live in an antenna fringe zone, meaning in between both major areas (Orlando and West Palm). I can't have a big outdoor antenna so I have to settle for attic, and for the most part, a decent antenna works. I can't pick up NBC though with any of them, but that station is notoriously difficult to get I've read.

Anyway ... so ready to cut DTV! I'll be saving over a grand a year. That makes me sick.

Archived