DAYS: Let the ruination of Chloe Lane begin!

• Members

Yeah, I can. Because its all a matter of opinion. Mine is that while Nadia has a charm about her, if she isnt playing a character very, very tailored to her and a story that really works she cant sell it.

Molly was awful for a long time, i fully admit that. The show saw something different in her tho in scenes with Suzanne and ran with it and she steadly improved to the point that she was the highlight of awful stories like the kidnapping. She made it work. She grew. I know not everyone agrees, but a lot of people who hated her grew to like or even love her and have said they miss her on screen.

I get that people may think Nadia is a phenominal actress and may view her how I view Burnett and respect that, but for me shes basically the worst part of days right now and that is saying a hell of a lot, lol.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Is anybody surprised by this? So far, Chelsea, Carly Manning, Lawrence Alamain, Jennifer, JACK, Nicole, Philip and Chloe have all been thrown under the bus to pimp one thoroughly useless character. Nadia's entire last stint was all about Chloe worshipping the McHairy one but not measuring up to his high standards of "decency" and whatnot. Did we expect differently this time around? While I enjoy Nadia playing the bitch (she's better at it than the poor, put-upon fallen woman), unless Dr. McHairychest is written off the canvas, this kind of insane propping will continue. And vet female characters will come out of the entire exercise totally ruined.

• Members

I would hardly say Chelsea was ruined, no more or less than Kate. I mean if Chelsea can murder her brother i dont think dating Daniel his first few months on screen are her being thrown under a bus.

And Nicole, as much as people hate to see this, she is a desperate, pathetic, week woman who is desperate for love od anykind including fake love and second choice. This was her entire 4+ year relationship with EJ, its why she will never actually go there with Brady, and why she has been with people like Colin and Victor. Daniel was right up her ally. And her decent into madness wasnt over losing Daniel, it was about her kid. Its such a shame the show didnt go there with her and Rafe as he is the best person shes been paired with perhaps ever.

Then there is Chloe. I believe to be ruined or thrown under a bus a character has to actually be.. a character, of some sorts, not a plot point that can work in any plot because there is nothing to them. Chloes last return was a disaster. Her and brady, her and philip, her and lucas, her and daniel, her as a hooker.

Now, all that said - Daniel def needs to go. His time has long come and I who even like/d him just see its no longer working. I get the hate for Daniel, i agree with most of it but it isnt as if he is the greatest problem with the show. Its lazy writing and if it isnt happening to Daniel you better believe it will be someone else. He needs to go and that can be said about a slew of other characters. John, Nicole, Roman, Abe, Gabi after she has this kid, Cameron, Chad, Hope or Jennifer, Rafe, EJ - really this list goes on. Daniel, like Chloe, isnt beyond saving. Better writing, a cohesive character, and a good story can go a long way. But is it worth it? Daniel and Chloe can easily be replace by not only people we have not seen in awhile, but even newbies. Then again soaps, esp days, seems to have an inability to create new characters.

And jesus Tomlin, can you PLEASE. undo Maggie as Daniels mother? POINTLESS and annoying.

ETA: SC's contract is up next month actually. Humm...

• Members

There is a lot of meat in your post so I will try and take the points one by one:

1. Perhaps Chelsea was an ill considered addition to the list. But I stand by all the others. Take J&J. Jack was killed off to leave the way clear for Daniel, and Jennifer is currently being ruined partly because of her pairing with him (and partly because of Chik Fil A). Now, you may hate both J&J and that's valid. I never "got" Jack & Jennifer except at the very beginning of their romance. But they are beloved by many Days fans and have longevity behnd them. Jennifer torn between her feelings for Jack and Daniel? Might have worked. This does not. Not least because nobody is feeling him, or her, or their supposed heat.

And don't get me started on how they ruined Carly at the altar of this character!

2. I love Nicole with Rafe! I am a big fan of AZ but her character has been played out in recent years and she is not somebody who has romantic chemistry with everybody (like, say, James Scott or Eileen Davidson do). She and Eric Martsolf didn't have any. She and JS had it but then lost it. I'm not sure she and Greg Vaughan have it. But she and Galen do.

3. IA with you that Chloe is nothing but a chess piece to be moved from point A to B to C. Ghoul Girl had a personality, Nadia B has personality but for years Chloe has been a huge-eyed weeping willow and I personally have not cared a jot for this character. She went away and I forgot about her. She came back and I was all "Oh. It's you." I will say that Chloe plotting to trap Daniel actually gives this non-character a little oomph and color -- NB looks like she enjoys playing the vilain. In the grand scheme of things, though, it is yet another female character "not good enough" for Daniel. Just like Carly was. Just like Chloe was first time around. Just like Nicole was. I hate those kind of stories, especially when the hero is a character I am bored by and despise.

4. The poor writing is huge. In fact, it is everything. I have no doubt that with far better writing, McHairychest would not annoy me like he does. That's because better writing would probably have avoided:

-trying to shoehorn this guy in with major/veteran families -- including tying him to Maggie and the Kiriakises,

-having him on all the time,

-propping his ass endlessly as a hero of our era,

-having women fall over themselves to get him,

-killing off Jack Devereux in the most abrupt and flippant way imaginable so that Jennifer-Daniel become the end game, like, overnight,

-rewriting past plots and paternities to wed him even more closely to the canvas. One minute he is Carly's long-lost one-true wuv (never mind what we watched in the early 1990s), next he is Maggie's long-lost egg, next he is Melanie's long-lost daddy, next he is Parker's long-lost daddy (again)... It never stops.

The other part of the equation is the acting. SC is awful.

5. I agree other characters are past their sell-by date but, in my personal opinion, Chad and EJ are not. I love Chad on Days! If Philip can't be here, I'll take Chad.

6. Hummm indeed. But I think that, like GG, Tomlin loves this guy so much that SC has nothing to worry about.

• Members

I don't think jack was killed off to prop Daniel. The show didn't care about jack and it was a way to say EFFF you to the previous team killing him & mads off and writing out Ian Carrie and Austin. He was a non factor on the daniel/jen love train and only reason he and jen got back together for a minute is cuz SC took some time off. With Carly I guess I just see her as so trashed to prop Hope by the time she got to Daniel it was already done. I've never though the show tried to play him as the hero of this era. That's Rafe. A lot of ppl on screen point out he's a whore who sleeps with his patents and uses women up only to move on right away. He's a good guy more than less in that he doesn't set out to ruin people but a hero? Idk. You are so spot on about Nadia. As for ej and chad the reason I say they can go is because chad is literally just there. Of course it's cuz they don't use him butnowmmany different regimes have not used him? He's just one of those characters. And as for EJ - well that's loaded. He has taken the show over for 5 years now. It seems everything revolves around him or is about him or involves him. He's always evil or super within little to no grey. He's a poor mans rip off of a complex and layered villain played by an actor who tanks what he doesn't want to play. I believe in 20 years people will look back on this era of days and it will be daniel who? EJ is the second biggest issue on this show, after Corday. He's nothing but a plot point himself, but a plot point that the show revolves around. Thankfully it feels a little more balanced right now but I doubt it'll last. James is great tho, when he shows up.

• Members

Very unlikely. There seems to be a clear character hiearchy at DAYS and Daniel is at absolute top right now. That means he will never have to fight with another man for Jen´s attention and when the time inevitably comes to finish the pairing it will be she who gets sacrificed while he is described as a victim yet again and let bow out gracefully. It´s the exact opposite of Jack and Jennifer where Jack was always the less valuable so even if the fans begged the show for two decades to introduce some woman for him so Jennifer is forced to fight for him again and the couple can return to its original and most popular dynamics they ´ve never done that and instead itroduced men after men after men for Jen. Frankie can return, sure, but he will be used and treated exactly as Jack last year.

Archived