School shooting in Connecticut

Eric83

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Whenever there is talk of arming teachers, I have this awful image of a very nervous school instructor fumbling for a weapon and tragedy striking before he or she is able to defend. Just install more security at all school entrances. Let the guards be armed, let the classroom doors be locked and accessible through pass key.

• Members

Yeah, when I was in high school, we had security but they were always walking around (and running their mouths) and not set to a fixed position by the entrances or anything like that. They were not armed, they just carried walkie talkies. We had a couple of violent incidents beyond your normal fist fights. During the mid-'90s, those Eddie Bauer down coats were very popular and very expensive, and a couple of kids were robbed at knife/gun point for their coats either just outside of school or near the entrance. I remember being late for school and just strolling in to an empty large hallway a few times, met by detention giving staff at other times, it wasn't consistent. I think things have changed for the better but obviously there's still room for improvement. Kids at my high school have been required to wear i.d. badges for years now since I graduated.

• Members

I will not paint everyone with a broad brush. Something tragic happens and everyone is doing or not doing whatever. If that is the case than why haven't I seen someone commit mass murder because their ship was blown up on Star Trek Online? I have yet to hear anyone blame the Call of Duty or Command & Conquer series for any mass shootings. And as far as film is concerned, why hasn't anyone flipped out after seeing Magnum Force, Dirty Harry, Die Hard or any John Wayne Western? Unless someone knows what happens to each and every individual that causes these mass murders, I feel, IMO, it's truly a waste of my time to just guess.

There always has to be a reason why because the alternative is the scariest of them all...that the young man did it just to be doing it. That is what's terrifying. I have NEVER felt that any movie, piece of music or video game causes anything like what I have seen. And no answers the question...how are getting into kids' hands when there warning labels on every movie video game or CD?

Every time this type of evil is vented upon innocent people others come out of the woodwork to pass their own beliefs and laws for the masses who haven't done anything 2worng. Joe Scarborough didn't impress me in the least. He spent most of his comment blasting music, TV, video games and movies. yet didn't say one thing about an American cable News Media who report on these stories until the people in the town are demanding they leave. Reporting for no other reason than for ratings. Scarborough has has ample time, but when the American public said in one loud voice "THIS NEEDS TO STOP NOW!" all of a sudden he's on the bandwagon. That man is fake, and it disappoints me how much fanfare he's gotten now.

When something gets so bad that it is time for change, change will happen. I pray it will happen now. No one needs a damn assault weapon or machine gun if you are or have never been in the service, and even then just while you're on active duty. The NRA president is a horrible thing that should be locked up for what he said. That was just vile, and any politician who says it's not the time to talk about this never had to bury their child due to gun violence.

It's in our hands now.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I work for Neilsen and we've been collecting data from movie goers in different theaters on what makes respondents likes movies. Predominantly 94% of their responses advocated more action. When we broke down their definition of action it included more violence. If there isn't a "sufficient" amount they concluded the movie was boring based on trailers alone. We live in a society where our enjoyment of entertainment is violence laced. Restricting access of automatic weapons is ideal but our entire culture is violent resulting in setting the mindset for folks to want to get the gun in the first place.

• Members

Wow, I uh, I don't know what to make of that video. I'm disturbed by the Facebook memorial pages created before the tragedy, as well as the picture of the "wrong" daughter. If there are simple explanations, I would love to know what they are.

I'm less comfortable with putting labels on how one "appropriately" grieves, but there's something to the power of suggestion because with the video maker's inference, it did look like dad was "getting into character" (which I feel awful even saying).

Oh, and from that very day I thought the ME was a shell-shocked kook. I think it was a mix of nervous laughter and just general eccentricity.

• Members

Yes, I was prepared to go into the video with a complete "WTF?" reaction, especially considering I'd just seen the guy behind the video acting a fool with Piers Morgan on TV the other night, but the very things you singled out were the things that I couldn't help but be speechless about: the memorial pages and the dad getting into character. Whatever the case, it just grosses me out because I feel like any "truth"-seeking is being done for the purpose of keeping the political fires burning. It becomes "Look at what the liberals did to try to take your guns away!!"

• Members

Okay, I watched that and I regret it. I don't buy into conspiracy theories. I'm sure that the video and the clips/images, etc. were arranged and edited to make the point. We're supposed to believe that the government arranged the murders of children to create gun control laws? We're supposed to believe that people like the teacher Diane Sawyer interviewed, Katherine Roig, who BROKE DOWN (remember how the video said "no tears were shed in any interviews"? - Go watch her interview, she was sobbing). were paid by some inside job? No, I don't believe that. Yes, there are some suspicious elements and unanswered questions, but that doesn't mean that it's some big conspiracy. I hate stuff like this.

• Members

These conspiracy theorists really irk me, they take tragedy and turn it into something that will get them attention for their anti-government rants. These people will get a paper cut and make a 20-minute long video about how it was a conspiracy involving the government.

Archived