Django Unchained

ChitHappens

• Members

The unrealism was the beauty of the film. Slave or not, DJango would not be calling anyone "white boy". He is then re-enslaved and still calling them "white boy". No way! He would not be allowed in anyone's home as a guest either. And when he was killing white men, so what Shultz flashed the bounty papers? Who was going to know if Big Daddy or anyone else killed these two men? I thought it was such a clever production, and I can't wait for the DVD!

I didn't give Don Johnson any credit, but he was terrific!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Saw it yesterday, still trying to absorb it. Tarantino does it again, he's created something as close to a masterpiece as modern cinema can get these days. What an excellent film. The cast was amazing, but every Tarantino film has an amazing cast. He has this power as a director and a writer to bring fantastic performances out of every actor cast. Leo has won me over as an actor again. His best role in quite some time. Even Jamie Foxx did decently, and I have never really liked any of his movies.

The violence was up there with Kill Bill... I cringed a lot, but could not look away either. The film was paced brilliantly too. Just when it maybe was seemed to drag a bit, a bit of wanton violence was thrown in or an amazing sequence of dialogue.

Not sure where it ranks among his filmography yet (I think when its all said and done I enjoyed the story better in Inglourious Basterds), but like all of his movies, this one will rank on my best ever list for sure.

9/10

• Members

I saw her but didn't understand why there was such a focus on her since she lasted all but 7.5 seconds, if that. I am wondering about the woman with the hankie over her face? She was shone a few times with a bit of emphasis, yet nothing. What was that about? She was killed with the filthy hillbilies at the end though, right?

• Members

I was wondering about that woman as well. Yeah, Django killed her when he mowed down the other red necks. She was so out of place. I wonder if she is a well known actress that Tarantino inserted into the plot, but wanted to hide her identity. I am sure we will find out the story behind that character eventually.

• Members

Django got nominated for best picture for the Oscars. Well, Leonardo did not get his nomination, neither did Samuel L. However, Christoph Waltz got a best supporting nomination which frankly, I think was the right decision. He is up against tough competition so he likely won't win (I think Tommy Lee Jones wins it), but it is well deserved recognition for an extremely talented actor.

• Members

I was just reading a review of the movie and it mentioned one moment that made a deep impression on me, but I forgot with so much going on and that was when blood splatters on the white cotton in the field when Django kills the brothers. It is beautiful and symbolizes that the wealth of the south was covered in blood. I really do have to watch Django again on Blu Ray. There was just so much going in the movie.

I read an argument that it was a cheat for Waltz to be submitted to the supporting actor category and I think that is true. Waltz should have competed to nominated in the lead actor category with Leo competing in the supporting actor category. Overall, this is Waltz's movie even more than Jamie Foxx's although they are co-leads. Waltz's performance was more subtle, intense, and varied. He brought the whimsy and carried the partnership Django. I thought the movie floundered when Shultz was killed and Django was on his own. This is why I think that going head to head in the same supporting actor category, I think is right Waltz get the nomination over Leo.

• Members

Just saw it! It was as great as everyone else said it was! My opinion of Jamie Foxx as barely mediocre has unfortunately not changed but loved Jackson, DiCaprio and Waltz. Washington played her part like she would have played SCANDAL (kinda). But it was beautifully shot, smart, surprisingly, wonderfully violent and thoroughly entertaining.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived