Django Unchained

ChitHappens

• Members

After reading these comments from people who have already seen it, it has only made me even more excited for this movie. Cannot wait to see it. If it is as good as critics and fans alike are saying, I hope finally QT can get the full Oscar glory he has been due for 20 years.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I just got back. I loved it! A solid piece of work from Tarantino, maybe even a masterpiece, but I have to rewatch on Blu Ray to know for sure. It was a wonderful homage to the Spaghetti Westerns including the credits, cinematography, music, and the great appearance of Franco Nero. I loved the revenge fantasy, violence, humor (e.g. the KKK dumbasses), and occasional moments of whimsy, interwoven with the brutality of slavery. I had to watch the scenes of brutality endured by the enslaved people through my fingers. Lots of great moments between Shultz and Django which I thought was the strongest part of the movie, followed by Candie and Steven's scenes. Wonderful performances from Christoph Waltz, Leonardo DiCaprio, Samuel L. Jackson, Don Johnson, and Walton Goggins. I think Jamie Foxx was very good in his scenes with Waltz, but not as good on his own. Kerry, she was alright as usual, but did not have much to do really. I only wish that James Remar had more to do.

• Members

So happy you finally saw it and I knew you'd love it, Ann. The Mandingo Fighting had me cover my eyes because I have a weak stomach. The KKK as a bunch of idiots was absolutely brilliant. I cannot imagine who could think of something like that. I was laughing so hard. I took my daughter to see it this past weekend, and she was in awe. I had to see again. I've never watched any of QT's movies, but Django was not to be missed and I'm super happy I didn't. Jamie did a great job on horseback. A man on a horse with a rifle in hand...My god! Ordinarily, I don't find Foxx attactive in the least, but that made him for me. I'm over it now, however.

• Members

Everyone in the theatre was rolling with laughter during the KKK scene. What a bunch of dumbf'ks. LOL! It was brilliant and has got to be a classic movie scene.

I read that Jamie is a big horse person and actually used one of his horses during some of the scenes including the dancing one at the end. Christoph Waltz dislocated a pelvic bone during filming. Ouch!

• Members

I vacillated between wanting to bash Steven's head in and laughing at the horror of the character. The relationship between Steven and Calvin was so sick with love, disrespect, and hate on both sides. Then again, all the relationships between the whites and house slaves at Candieland were perverse and replusive.

• Members

I'm a huge Jim Croce fan, but I didn't realize how much I loved "I Got A Name" until it was played in the movie! The John Legend song "Who Did That To You" was awesome! iTunes won't let me buy it :(

The house slaves were the worst, especially Steven and I can't count how many "Stevens" I've had the misfortune of working with.

• Members

The John Legend song was perfect as was all the music. I loved the mixture of music genres. I don't get the complaints about the rap music which totally worked. I might have to get the soundtrack.

Django is such an interesting movie that it is stuck in my head. It combines Tarantino's love for Sergio Leon's anti-hero Spaghetti Westerns with his obsession of John Woo's Asian action movies, particularly the classic, Hard Boiled. I have always liked Tarantino, but now I love his growth as a director. If nothing else, he is courageous and not boring. Plus, he adores the same directors as I do. He brings together the most compelling concepts of great directors like Woo, Jean Pierre Melville, and Leone who borrowed from Akira Kurosawa. People bash Tarantino for not being original, but all good directors aspiring to be great borrow from great directors. Spielberg is a bore, but even he aspires to be Kurosawa. The problem with American movies is that too many directors aspire to be Spielberg.

• Members

Ann, 3rd time's a charm! I could not help myself and went to the matinee today. The movie just gets better with each visit and I'm inclined to agree that this just might be a masterpiece! Today, I especially loved the capture of the gang directly after DJango was practicing his shooting with the snowman. That was awesome! The masks and then the rifles just going off. That gang didn't know what hit them.

There are only 2 movies in recent history where I couldn't stay away from the theater. 3:10 to Yuma and Avatar. I love westerns! I used to wake up every Saturday morning and watch them until 1pm until AMC took that away from me.

Gonna go see Gangster Squad Friday and will try to stay away from DJango, but I make no promises. Not a QT fan, but for this movie, I bow to him! Can't wait for the DVD!

• Members

I knew what I was getting myself into since this is a Tarentino film - the gratuitous violence, the language and the exploitation. I was not offended by the use of the n word as others were used so fluidly throughout the movie. This movie is not for the faint of heart however I found some of the situations in the movie too unrealistic to enjoy. Some aspects of the movie were incredibly funny whereas others were so over done it lost what could have been comedic gold as was the KKK scene that had too much dialog and went on far too long. The likelihood that Django was saved from castration (which by the way was digitally enhanced)and still had enough time to save his wife from peril, kill the rest of his enemies and have a happy ending ALL in one fall swoop given the scenes that transpired earlier was too much of a suspension of belief. However the performances were fantastic. I read that Leo actually cut his hand in those scenes with Kerry and chose to continue without missing a beat. Given the fact that he rubbed her face with his bloody hand without takes was jaw dropping. All the actors were effective and im glad that Will Smith passed on the role. Django is a gritty character and Foxx more than delivered. Without the pointed performances and supporting characters the movie would have been a completely different movie.

Archived