DRW50

Doctor Who

Eccleston talks with the Radio Times some more about why he quit DW in Series 1 and how it destroyed his relationship with Russell T. Davies.

2 minutes ago, Vee said:

Eccleston talks with the Radio Times some more about why he quit DW in Series 1 and how it destroyed his relationship with Russell T. Davies.

It’s amazing that he did as good of a job he did under the circumstances. I thought he handled the lighter material just fine, even if it wasn’t as second nature as it was for Tennant or Smith.

The Radio Times covers Steven Moffat's novelization of The Day of the Doctor, which explains away many bits of DW continuity including the infamous Peter Cushing movies.

According to Moffat’s Day of the Doctor adaptation, the Cushing Doctor Who films do exist in the main Whoniverse, with the actor playing a fictionalised version of the real-life Doctor with the blessing of the man himself. The new book shows posters from Cushing’s films actually hanging in the Black Archive, which Moffat has previously said he wanted to do in the episode that aired on TV – plans which were scuppered when the BBC were unable to get the rights to the artwork.

“Seen them? He loves them,” UNIT boss Kate Stewart explains to Jenna Coleman’s Clara Oswald in the episode when discussing the films.

“He loaned Peter Cushing a waistcoat for the second one, they were great friends. Though we only realised that when Cushing [started] showing up in movies made long after his death.”

That last bit, of course, is a reference to how the late Cushing was included in 2016’s Star Wars prequel Rogue One using cutting-edge CGI – though apparently it was just Tardis trickery instead.

RTD's also thrown in some future (Smith, Capaldi, Whittaker) and potential future regenerations into his novelization of Rose:

Rose saw a photo of a man with a fantastic jaw, dressed in a tweed jacket and bow tie. Then Clive kept the sequence going; an older, angry man in a brown caretaker’s coat, holding a mop; a blonde woman in braces running away from a giant frog in front of Buckingham Palace; a tall, bald black woman wielding a flaming sword; a young girl or boy in a hi-tech wheelchair with what looked like a robot dog at their side…

Freema Agyeman has a role on yet another NBC medical drama this fall, New Amsterdam.

@DRW50 will be disappointed I have not been able to keep up with #DoctorWhoOnTwitch's month long marathon, but I am watching stories online on dailymotion to slowly catch the ones I want but missed. Hope to watch Curse of Fenric, but I don't know which version they'll show.

Paul Hanley, who did gorgeous art during Season 3 of Twin Peaks, has been doing illustrations throughout the marathon (much more on his Twitter):

Meanwhile, Twitch chat loves DW:

I hadn't seen the fan art. Thanks. Lovely (and it taught me about a few companions I didn't know about, like Gus Goodman). I'm glad he included Sharon Davies. 

I'd seen some of the Twitch comments, which were a lot of fun.

Anyway, here is the first look:

It's alright. Seems a bit dated (about ten years off) and also a bit Torchwood, but I'm glad they didn't try too hard. 

I’m not sold yet, but not because of Jodie Whittaker, who will knock it out of the park, but because of Chibnall. Having a writer’s room could be a great thing, and he says that the show will have one-episode arcs instead of the heavy, confusing serialization that often bogged down RTD and Moffat.

I am v iffy on Chibnall but he's come a long way since the old days, and if anyone would benefit from a writers' room setup it's him.

This is already encouraging. Moffat overplayed the Daleks just as much as he did the Weeping Angels.

Edited by Faulkner