DRW50

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Speaking of, I'm catching up on my marathon stories to watch and I see they omitted a number of Dalek stories, presumably due to what must be the umpteenth legal battle with Terry Nation's estate or something.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Doctor Who will premiere on Sunday, October 7 with a simulcast with the UK premiere during the day and a rerun in its later regular time slot, which will be announced later.

An interesting development, given that it’s premiering the same night as The Walking Dead, on an AMC Networks sister channel. I wonder if they’ll do a simulcast on AMC as a lead-in to TWD to capture some of that audience?

I can’t help but think there will be some minor cannibalization of the sci-fi/fantasy audience, especially with Supergirl and later Outlander all airing on Sundays. I guess they are banking on a big Live+3 boost.

Sundays are just a super-competitive night unlike Saturdays, especially during NFL season. I’m sure the UK forced their hand in this case (Saturday nights are more competitive there), but BBCA is also building up Sunday as a marquee night with the success of Killing Eve. Fans seem to be annoyed with the move from Saturdays, though. Orphan Black really tanked when it moved from Saturdays to Thursdays.

Edited by Faulkner

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Glad Freema is doing well.

The BBC decided to put an article on their site a few days ago that said Peter Capaldi was not "universally loved." While that is true (and no actor is "universally loved" as the Doctor) it seemed remarkably churlish, given how much Capaldi did for the show and what a lifelong fan he is. Some fans and even past cast members like Anneke Wills were tweeting in support of him yesterday. The whole thing just reminded me of why I'm so wary of getting back into the show again. 

• Members

Capaldi was very popular as the Doctor, along with most before him. I don't see why they'd run him down.

That other quote from Piers Wenger of all people - dismissing apparently all Whittaker's predecessors (not just Capaldi) as having "daffiness and idiosyncrasy" and her being "relatable" by comparison - is really horribly tin-eared. Why on Earth?

• Members

Freema was the ONLY good thing about New Amsterdam. We’ve seen it all before with that show. It’s really nice to see her, Billie, and Karen, who were all pretty green (though all charismatic) when they started on DW, develop successful, varied careers.

I’m really not impressed with the BBC’s marketing around the new season. I know they are trying to grab a new audience, as they do after any regeneration because it’s a fresh start for viewers, but it feels a bit forced

• Members

BBCA is pushing the global simulcast for the season premiere, which airs at 1:45 pm ET next Sunday. I think they know they’ll be killed on Sunday during primetime (I’m not sure they’ve even announced a regular time slot), presumably as The Walking Dead premiere (with Andrew Lincoln’s last episodes) and NFL suck all of the air out of the evening. And in their post-premiere press release, they’ll push some BS about the cumulative viewership between the afternoon and nighttime broadcasts. 

• Members

Capaldi was much more than "Cranky Grandpa." 

I really haven't heard anything good about the premiere and very little good about Whittaker's performance (I saw someone saying she was trying to be like David Tennant, someone I grew to find unbearable). Not sure it's worth watching.

Edited by DRW50