GH: October 2012 Discussion Thread

• Members

Since they were determined to have Michael Easton on the show, they should have just brought him on to play a new character. Instead they tried to use him as McBain to manipulate people who only watched OLTL into followingnhim and the other two over to GH. Now they've dug a hole for themselves in that they have to maintain this farce about his caring for family while he is pursuing Sam. They should have never given McBain a son on OLTL because that's never been who his character is. He was always written in a way that made Caitlin the only woman with whom he'd ever settle down and have children. His character never progressed past that but he was capable of having flings.

Writing wise, his relationship with Natalie didn't make any sense. She seemed more like his kid sister (in fact the actress who played his cousin--Danielle I think--would have even made more sense). Jared was probably the best match for that character. Natalie doesn't ooze sex appeal and that's pretty much what they've always wanted for McBain. Sam may be an energy drain but she definitely has sex appeal which is why she was wasted on Jason because he was better with the cute wholesome type who could be sexy.

In order to see McBain's potential for being a family man, he would have to be placed with the right woman and they'd have to write him or he'd have to show his evolving. He and Sam are perfect for each other in terms of characterization and the way both actors come across. They can whisper and stare and look all emotionally tormented or bored and it'll be their kind of passion. It's too bad that RC likes to write these baby stories as a means of giving characters who don't belong together the illusion of having some eternal connection. The feeling they generate is no more intense than having them go out and buy a potted plant that they both commit to watering.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Well putting him with Sam contraicts one of the main points you brought up. Sam is a mother and just got her baby back. For John ot be with her, he would essentially have to accept the role as surrogate father to this child. I dont see her being all sexy and adventerous much bc she has to settle down a bit

• Members

Oh you can have a baby and still be sexy. I don't think she was in the least bit hindered in kissing him when she technically should have been in mourning said dead baby. The baby is more or less a prop on this show. He'll be a teenager pretty soon and neither Sam nor McBain have to do much with him until then. Besides, I don't think McBain has issues with ready made families--I think the problem is they lack the kind of writing skills necessary to transform a character that has been written as being as completely detached as he has been, into a man capable of exuding a great deal of love. They've run that incapable of verbally expressing his feelings in the ground because it is the easiest way out for faulty writing. Make it a character defect and he apparently never has to get over it so he can be an emotionally stunted man pushing 50.

The only reason they even gave Sam a baby is that they needed some plot point to try to tie her and Jason together so that she could eventually have sex with McBain and the Jason and Sam fans would be tolerant knowing that the baby bonded them for life and they'd eventually get back together--no matter how long that would take. They really need to stop using babies for that end and actually write some great eternal love story and find a couple that can pull it off with the looks, touches, stares, and not just the lip service.

• Members

Thats not true. Sam's pregnancy plot began before John even came on the show. That was a Wolfe thing. Heck, I cant recall but it might even have been Guza that wrote her finding out about the procedure that could fix her fertility issues. Sam being given a baby had nothing to do being a plot point for John

• Members

It doesn't matter who started the pregnancy since I'm sure the story that was planned isn't the story that ended up being told. They're still using the baby as a permanent tie. And I did forget about how Jake was killed to facilitate that permanent tie and it doesn't mean that either of the previous writers would not have used the baby as assurance to their fans that they would get back together whenever they had problems, since I doubt that they planned to have them live happily ever after from the point of parenthood. Bob Guza probably would have used that baby for drama with Jason's enemies.

It just so happened that, in addition to the built-in assurance, Ron Carlivati used the baby to tell a lame Todd replaced a dead baby story as part of his general smoke and mirrors writing. He needs GH viewers to care somewhat about Todd so now everyone can see him as a compassionate caring soul who was concerned enough for Tea that he got her a baby to replace her dead baby. They should have had that baby be Franco's. Some things should be left unfixed without a neat bow to allow for more compelling or interesting and even emotional storytelling.

The baby is still a prop, as far as I'm concerned, and he's not going to hinder Sam and whatever man they want with her.

• Members

I didnt dispute the fact that the baby would be used as a way to tie her to Jason. The issue was you saying the only reason she was given a baby was so it could be used as a plot point to tie her to Jason for when she'd have sex with John. John wasnt even an issue over a year ago when this whole thing started. Guza and later Wolfe most definetly werent making plans to bring him over. The baby was about Jason and Sam, not Jason, Sam and McBain

Archived