Who are the MOST accomplished soap writers

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There was such a blatant lack of organization when DRT & MMcP were heading the writing team . . . the episodes and arcs were so poorly structured it hurt. But LB is doing a pretty good job as breakdown writer--the episodes usually flow well and the intent of each episode is typically themed and clear. "Days" has improved tenfold, but it still lacks "POP" . . . which is what it desperately, desperately needs.

• Members

ReddFoxx stole my answer! While I've not seen any of their writing, since I've only watched Days and Passions, those three writers' career accomplishments speak for themselves. And the Bill Bell scripts of "Days" that I've read are always so beautifully written, he paints such a vivid picture that you can practically see the scenes happening as you read them.

• Members

Out of all the best and well-remembered soap writers, Harding Lemay and Henry Slesar were really the only ones that had a career outside of daytime. Of course Lemay was an accomplished playwright. If you watch some of the old Alfred Hitchcock shows on Antenna TV, you'd see Slesar credited as the writer on numerous episodes, usually the most compelling ones. I'd say that the big 3 (Phillips, Bell, Nixon) are probably the most accomplished within daytime, having had the most successes. I also think there are a bunch of excellent soap writers who never got the credit they deserved...people like Kay Alden, Wisner Washam, Lorraine Broderick, Gordon Russell, Pat Falken-Smith, and Addie Walsh, who always seemed to linger in the shadows of the better-known writers. I've found people like Maggie DePriest and Pam Long to be totally overrated.

Archived