Best/Worst Soap Anniversaries

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

For worst I have to mention ATWT's 40th, as there is an image seared in my brain of Mark and Connor having sex in a treehouse, a tacky story and relationship (she was cheating on her husband and I think he'd even built the treehouse for her). They used this in a flashback montage for the best of ATWT, days after it aired. Best of 40 years, my ass! And then they had a montage of characters and made sure to close on all of their new characters, who were gone by the end of the year.

• Members

I don't know why the 40th anniversary gets such a bad wrap. One, every character got a close-up at the end of the montage. It showed them in order of seniority, from newest to longest tenured.

Secondly, it was nearly eight minutes in length. Surely the twenty seconds of Mark/Connor didn't negate all the historic clips shown (or was any more offensive than the Diego/Em boinkfest, which couldn't have been too much before he raped her or he was revealed as a bad guy, period. I forget.) Trying to encapsulate 40 years in eight minutes---when the video only goes back to the late 70's/early '80's---was a herculean task, and still managed to represent a good cross-section of characters and stories.

I was a lot more disappointed/disgusted with the "Divas on a Bus" and TV spoof episodes for the 50th anniversary---completely useless excercises in TV Writing For Creatively Dead HWs and the EPs With Delusions of God-hood.

I personally thought the GL anniversary where they "recreated" the radio days was stupid. With a capital S.

• Members

In theory, it was a good idea (although, I probably would have confined the story just to GUIDING LIGHT's initial creation as a radio series). But the whole exercise lacked heart, something that GL's anniversaries and milestones rarely lacked.

• Members

I wasn't watching by that time so I didn't see them. I think I saw some of the divas on a bus episode, which was kind of stupid. I still cared when the show was 40 and it just felt like a slap in the face, especially since they didn't have any returns.

Archived