Megan McTavish and what she did to AMC

• Members

I feel like every storyline he was involved in was hated for the most part. Everything he wrote was bad to me. The veteran stories, Breese, the ruination of Bianca's character, making Kendell kill Stuart only to make it worse and retcon it by saying Adam did it, killing off tons of characters for no reason and having funerals every other month, killing off Babe only to replace her with Marissa, Zach killing Josh and having no regret over it, turning crazy Annie from a 9 to a 27 within a single bound and turning her into a cartoon, etc. Everything just everything he wrote was a travesty. Every character he touched came out worse then they were originally and it was just like a trainwreck you couldn't stop. Didn't he also give Jesse a new family while he was on the run? Undermining basically the entire love story of Jesse and Angie? Even when you thought it was letting up, it just didn't. No one got away free.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Pratt also gave us the glorious pairing of Ryan and Erica. Icckk.

In the very beginning, I thought he was going to be decent despite the whole Josh/Zach thing. He had Erica and Adam interacting really well and it seemed he was going to do a good business story with them that would have brought it in most of the canvas (Kendall and her crew, the teenagers including Palmer and Opal's offspring). The calm before the storm. The show seemed light and quicker for a very short time and then boom, boom, BOOM, BOOM, BOOOOOMMM, BOOOOOOMMM.

• Members

As much as I disliked Megan during her worst times, I have to admit she did some really good work during her best times, including Bianca's intervention. Even though it's been gone over a few times here, I don't think I'll ever fully understand why she goes from good to terrible during each of her stints. It's like she loses her grip over time or something.

Pratt on the other hand killed the show for sure. I think he started out well, but then things just went to hell in a handbasket. I was so ticked when Stuart was killed off, especially the way it was done. That nearly killed my desire to watch the show. When David Canary retired, I was pretty much done and just watching the show out of habit. When it was canceled, I was actually ready for it to end. Maybe it could have come back if it had a few years (under different and good writers), but the PTB didn't give it enough time, or the audience just wouldn't give it another chance after Pratt.

• Members

Ha Marissa, the sweet ol' homebody who PAID FOR SCHOOL GIVING MEN HANDJOBS!! And people wonder why some call Pratt misogynistic (though to be fair, as someone else said, he'd probably be nearly as willing to give a backstory like that to a male character). And then once he came up with that brilliant backstory he had zero story for her anyway. Yeah he gave Jesse the secret family which did leave us with one great actress, but... (and even that was done at his usual pace--Laura K as the secret wife was dead in a matter of weeks it seemed--so much for milking the drama).

I admit I'm a Josh fan even if I dislike how he came on the show--liked the actor and liked the character--to have him disappear for so long and then come back all filled with vengence and then have Zack the dark hero kill him and scream "WE HAVE A HEART FOR MY WIFE" and nobody care was just... Wow (it did lead to one really great scene between Erica and Josh, a scene that should have happened way earlier, where he admitted how he never felt accepted by her, etc, but in typical Prattian style after that Erica didn't even remember anyobody called Josh let alone a son).

He did some fun comedy too--Petey's superhero daydream (only to have Petey disappear weeks later), and I remember one whole epiusode around the Chandler mansion that was like classic bedroom farce. But that was all within the first month if not weeks. He DID help balance out the show though--something it really needed particularly after the last few months of B/E but even before then.

• Members

He even managed to make Krystal even worse then she already was with that pill story and her selling her child. I mean, just damn. People didn't even like her before and it made Krystal almost impossible to like after that. Just everything was torpedoed during Pratt. Nothing was safe. Nothing flourished.

• Members

I oddly, and Ihave no justification for this, found the pill story compelling. As for selling a child, Hell no. Again it's not writing for character (unless all he knew about Krystal was her initial one scene when Babe came to town and called her and Krystal was in a motel with a random and we were led to believe Krystal was a money grubbing bitch--they dropped that by the time she showed up in PV).

I would bet big bucks that Pratt isn't one of those HWs who labours over past episodes and story synopsises for weeks before starting, but I could be wrong... ;)

• Members

He was definitely misogynistic, no question. There were the stories he intended to do for Kendall and Reese and even the ones he did do for them. Krystal selling her child and giving up her other kid for pills. Marissa giving hand jobs. But it didn't stop him from hacking most of the men hardcore too. He probably made Adam another pair of Annie's panties (a senile old man for Annie to have fun with), Josh (angry criminal), Zach (the baby, a huge, nasty hypocrite), Aidan, Ryan (more of the same), etc...

• Members

I just found the entire story to be in bad taste. Having Krystal become addicted to pills from David drugging her milk, then having her go on the stand -- testify and then drop her pills all over the courtroom floor and then crawling on her hands and knees to pick them up was just spectacular in terms of over the top drama. It was damn near comedy. I just think he completely bastardized Krystal's character even more so, when it wasn't even necessary. Marissa was just another thing all together.

• Members

Well said. So he was mis and misterogynic? :P I think it is worse with the women just because his idea of them always seems to involve something to do with sex, which woulbe fine for a few characters, but degrading or "sordid" sex at that.

I said oddly compelling, but that doesn't mean I don't agree with you. ;) You're right. And while it is a cliche soap moment (in grand Melrose Place style) who the HELL would take their pills with them, if they were hooked, to testify!

I grew to love JL as Liza, but simply because the actress managed to pull it off, but the intro was so random and insulting on so many levels. Was Hannah going psycho under him? (I think her name was Hannah--I know OLTL had a pointless psycho Hannah which was in poor taste too...)

• Members

Wouldn't it be misandric?

I completely forgot about Hannah, she was ridiculous. laugh.png I'm not even sure what she was supposed to be. She was like part Dragon-Lady, part woman in the white dress and her obsession with Zach was just so far beyond.

• Members

Yeah, up there in the degrading department. Followed by her unbuttoning her shirt to show her tits while "hanging" in Zach's office.

No question, from day one. I had some hope with them allowing Kendall to get Josh away from him and tell him off about the way he was reacting but then they had her have desk sex with him for forgiveness for crossing the godfather again.

True dat.

ETA:

Hannah was killed off in the B&E years.

• Members

I did think Pratt did David decently for who David was. I still shake my head at VI thanking Pratt while Pratt had most of his castmates in agony though. I disliked David under S & K, and especially LB, but I felt his pain under Pratt for the most part. Amanda and Jake letting him believe his kid was dead.

But then there was the car sex stuff. I forgot about that. David having sex with a crying Amanda (what kind of animal can get it up when a woman is crying like that?) who summarized the only way to get away from David was to follow his advice and let him peen her and give Trevor a sibling.

• Members

I agree although Amanda was always a mess and was always having sex with random people for no apparent reason. Amanda never had any direction and I am surprised she lasted as long as she did on this show (8 years, with only one good storyline to show for it). Sex was her answer to everything, and she was always having it when it was obvious she shouldn't have been.

Archived