Songs you HATE!

Cheap21

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I understand the antipathy toward certain bands, such as Maroon 5 and Coldplay. At the same time, though, I never like to say I don't like such-and-such musical artist or band, because it's been my experience that just when I'm ready to say such things, he or she will put out a song, or I'll come across an old one somewhere, and I'll be like, "Dang, that's actually kind of good!"

Having said that, of course, John Cougar Mellencamp remains elusive to me. Not only because I'm not fond of the songs of his that I HAVE heard over the years, but also, as a person, he just comes across to me as someone who reinforces a lot of negative stereotypes about midwestern rednecks who aren't always, shall we say, open-minded? But that's just my impression.

• Members

All I can say about the first two is: I guess it's a girl thing wink.png .

As for John Mellencamp (Cougar disappeared in 1991--Whenever We Wanted was the first album credited to John Mellencamp): I see him as someone who has been quite protective of the Midwest, particularly of family farms--he is one of the big names who holds Farm Aid every year--and actually quite progressive and open-minded politically: he's had many songs that have encouraged tolerance, and by extension, discouraged intolerance, including in the last several years like "Peaceful World" "Walk Tall", and "Someday". He also had a song that spoke out against the Bush administration, which certainly couldn't have gone over well with a portion of his more conservative fan base.

But of course, I'm biased. I love John Mellencamp, and love his dedication to the state of Indiana--he still lives and records his songs there, in a studio not far from Bloomington smile.png .

ETA: I have heard that he has a guitar that specifically says "F--k racism" on it.

• Members

Carl!!! PLEASE, don't hate on Alicia! I wuv that song to death! What is so wrong with it? I love her sassy kind of delivery. I sing that damn song while I'm planting bushes, "I want some AK-SHAWN! I WANNA LIHIHIHIVE!" That little hip movement she does at :33 is PRICELESS Now, as far as John Travolta's "Let Her In", the song itself is great... and would turn out fabulous in the hands of any of the stable of Philadelphia International artists.

• Members

Most awful song in pop music history:

I should say, most awful COVER. For the longest time, I had no idea that this treacly, overwrought mess of a song was a cover. And then when I sought out the original, I found a FABULOUS song! It just goes to show, that a song can be crap in the hands of one artist, and brilliant in the hands of another. And the original had that additional verse that COMPLETELY changes the entire meaning of the song.

• Members

It's been far too long since Sir Elton has released even a halfway decent single. He hasn't become as complacent about his career as Rod Stewart, but as a huge fan of his earlier work, I find it frustrating, nevertheless.

Re: "Seasons in the Sun" -- That's one of those songs (composed by Rod McKuen?) where I wonder whether we were supposed to take as seriously as we have. Know what I mean?

• Members

I don't know... sometimes I wonder if Elton's well is running dry. I would think it would be hell to keep coming up with hits for 40 years. The only thing I am relieved with is that Rod Mckuen didn't SING the dang song... man, he makes my ears bleed. I think people take it seriously because Terry Jacks' version is so damn melodramatic, with his quivering vocals so far forward in the mix and the relatievely sparse production. Rod Allen from the Fortunes is just a much better singer, and their version has much more balance, so the lyrics don't just slap you across the face through the whole song. And I'm dying to know who changed the third verse, because it also gives the Fortunes' version a little extra bite, while the third verse on Terry Jacks' version just seems to be there to be intentionally tear jerking and sappy.

Archived