(All)Short-Term Characters who had staying power.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hunter's last episode was one of Reid's first one. Hunter was talking to Noah about being played & played music for him and then Luke called. Hunter was last seen at the hospital with Maddie, Luke, Reid & Noah. That was Jan 19th I believe

Maddie was last seen in March asking Noah if they wanted to be roomies then going to look at a place. I believe when AC returned she only agreed to film for six months, so ATWT never planned anything big for Maddie.

• Members

It's so frustrating when a soap has talent and they don't know what to do with it. (B&B is the poster child for this problem!) ATWT squandered some interesting possibilities, for short term shock. As John pointed out, why bring on Robin Mattson as Noah's mom if it was just a plot device for his crazy father? I think people wanted to like Noah, but his storylines were so stupid that it made it tough. Exploring his family, or having him involved in non-Luke storylines would've made him more viable.

I'd forgotten about Hunter. Even though they trashed Larry McDermott to get him, he was a good actor who had ties to re-invigorate the Stewart family. But poof... he disappears. It still gets me mad how the writers destroyed ATWT at the end. I can think of a million different more satisfying storylines than the ones we got. I bet you guys can too.

• Members

LML gave them nothing to work with.

The success of those two characters was because of the actresses.

Tammy Lauren especially had nothing to work with (Karen at least got a few horribly underwritten stories) yet her fling with Paul was his most popular relationship since his marriage to Cricket.

• Members

I remember seeing Tammy Lauren as Maggie. I also liked her. Little surprised GH never swiped her to play a doctor or something. She'd still work.

Post-Sheffer (as well as yes, during Sheffer at several points) and full-on Goutman's Empire ATWT wasted more quality daytime vets than most of the other soaps did in the whole past decade. Top of the list for me would be Laurence Lau as Brian, the older husband of Lucinda potentially having an affair with Luke, which was an incredible storyline that not only never got off the ground but ended in what, six weeks? Then you have Robin Mattson as Noah's mom. Who wastes Robin Mattson? She's the Bette Davis of soaps, even now. Go back and look at some of her work on AMC in particular, when Janet was an antiheroine; it's pure Bette Davis, especially one of those big courtroom dressing-down scenes she had when she turned on Pine Valley. And Wally Kurth - that puppet thing was so [!@#$%^&*] stupid. It's like they literally had an aversion to telling long-term, good stories. Every time a decent idea came along it would be viciously attacked, as if by a pack of wild dogs. Like, "no, this might keep us from getting cancelled! Good ratings, no! No!"

Days was even stupider than usual wasting Jessica Tuck. As True Blood has shown, if you sleep on Jessica Tuck she can always go elsewhere.

Re: the Vicky Hudsons, I remember a TV Guide piece at the time in which it was mentioned that Cynthia Watros' lovely fill-in stint was such a scandal for her agents (who were moving her into primetime) that they tried to keep anyone from publicizing it. I thought she was great. The same piece mentioned that Anne Heche - at the time a big star - actually offered to come back and fill in, but her people (and possibly Jensen Buchanan?) vetoed it.

• Members

I thought Karen on Y&R was boring. She was alright as a secondary supporting character but they shouldnt have tried to make her anything more than that

I think all 4 characters are better fit for the characters with no legs thread. Erica's only saving grace was that she was Sheila's daughter and I think had some potential in the future but the rest were dead on arrival. Horrible ill concieved characters

Archived