DAYS: The mess that is MarDar

• Members

I have a question. With all the veteran actors on the show, don't they have the right to complain about sucky storylines and lack of airtime? I would think they know their characters history the best.

Almost if they don't like certain writers, if they all ganged up together coudlnt they try to get writers fired of their jobs depended on it?

Just a question

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If you're Erika Slezak, Susan Lucci, Susan Flannery or Eric Braeden. Otherwise...no.

And all those vets came back because they needed a paycheck. They're in no place to complain. Especially the ones that were outright fired.

The only vet that's in any position to complain is Allison Sweeny and she'd have no reason to. She's been consistently frontburner for 20 years with two men fighting over her in some capacity the last ten years.

• Members

Yeah I was going to say I don't think anyone at Days has any clout barring Sweeney. I thought James Scott might have but after they were willing to let him walk not anymore. The days of actors on soaps being able to dictate story barring those few is long gone. I'm not even sure Braeden has that much clout anymore.

• Members

It's true the pacing and of stories is so bizarre--with some at rapid speed, some seemingly forgotten, weird holes (*this was a few weeks back but like when Will ws upset and was invited to a party by two of Sonny's gay friends and then we never saw or even heard mention of the party again).

• Members

Exactly! You've described it perfectly. It's like there are black holes in the canvas that seemingly decent stories (like Will's angry makeout under the arch in the f*cking Town Square Dance Par-tay) disappear into.

I know what bothers me about the pacing: I can't tune in 3 days a week and feel like I'm on track with the show as I have done for decades. And it isn't a situation where I feel motived to watch more to keep up, quite the opposite. For every good story or beat or scene there's another that's boring and dull or stupid and since there's no consistency about what I'm going to see, I just get frustrated and don't even bother with it.

• Members

They were so, totally not willing to let him walk. They basically gave him whatever he wanted.

Sweeney likely does have the most pull, but she isnt in control and doesnt usually pull those moves, because based on conversations with her I am sure the Sami we have seen for the past 5 years is not the Sami she would like.

• Members

Honestly, I think I could forgive most of the show's faults if someone in the writing room actually stopped and said, "You know what? What we're writing in this scene is stupid and will take the viewer out of the moment." (I'm looking at you, Town Square Dance Partay and Spa Lobby Workouts!)

I get it; the budget is nil. You gotta make the most of what you have. Maybe the orders come down from on high that X amount of scenes HAVE to take place at the town square. Okay, fine, then craft stories that play to that, don't shoehorn [!@#$%^&*] in that is just stupid and nonsensical.

That's my biggest problem with today's soaps; they've become bad jokes. When at least once per episode, you chuckle because of how badly set up a scene is or how silly a plot twist is, something is WRONG. Once DAYS stops laughing at itself, it MIGHT stand a chance of recovering.

• Members

V

I'm going based on his interviews after he re signed although I do think the clamor over his not resigning in the press was something his publicist orchestrated and it was a brilliant move based on the timing of the reset. A lot of the positive press days was getting would have evaporated But I see how the show uses him now and how they still lack the ability to write for him. I doubt next time around if there is one the same will happen.I like him well enough but I've never believed any great loyalty to Days on his part.

As for Sweeney I've never believed she was any Svengali. Shes always seemed very loyal to the show. But then she doesn't need to be a control freak as she has been the center of the show for years. I don't begrudge her that. Better her than some of the Divos at ABC or over at Y&R.

• Members

It wasnt his publicist. Trust me, he was ready to leave and move on, the show pretty much handed him whatever he wanted and made sure he couldnt walk away.

And yes, so trye about Sweeney. She is very loyal and has been for nearly 20 years. Quite frankly the show should be built around her, the issue is Sami sucks due to the awful plot point writing. Even stories Sami are in are not about Sami anymore, she reacts to situations instead of causing the reaction, usually. And yes, much better her than the ppl at cbs/abc soaps who throw their misplaced power around to get whatever they want, even ppl hired and fired.

• Members

I'll trust you have good sources. I just thought the leaks about him leaving considering his contract was not up until April/May of 2012 was very suspect. Iit just happened to leak right around the time when Days was getting positive press for their reset? I dont buy that was a coincidence. Maybe the show leaked it forcing his hand. But Ken Corday has just never seemed enthralled with JS or the character and has never talked glowingly like he has others on the show. And Allison is one to me like Lucci who seems to have a great appreciation for her roots even as she finds success outside of the show.

• Members

I think the show needs to start firing. That won't save the writing but would bring focus, which the show needs, and would probably help with the budget.

I would write out:

Jennifer

Jack

I like Matthew Ashford's work since his return but they clearly have no plans for the character. Jennifer was brutally destroyed and Melissa Reeves lost all of her spark. If they need to keep Abby, she can exist without her parents - the only Abby story anyone has seemed to ever enjoy has had little involvement from her parents.

Austin

Carrie

Austin seems to have returned solely for a remix of Sami stories. I think Christie Clark has done a good job in her return but they have no plans for her now that they have done the rushed, silly Carrie/Rafe story. Only keep her IF...

Roman

Recast him with Wayne Northrop, or another vital actor, or let him go. There's just too much wasted potential and Josh Taylor, friend of Corday or not, is deadly in the role. If they recast I want to see them try with Anna again.

Daniel

Just dead weight, and sleazy, and self-righteous, and pointless.

Sonny

The show isn't going to write for him, and I have no interest in any Will/Sonny story, which probably isn't going to happen anytime soon, and which would involve Chandler Massey making more drunk faces.

Chad

Gabi

Shape up or ship out. They have no interest in Chad and that place can be filled with other new men in his age range.

Madison

She just doesn't work. She bleeds into too many other female characters in this age group and the character has no real spark with anyone. If they can stop Ian Buchanan from playing Liberace meets Mad Men, then he might have more potential.

I would keep Melanie, for now, mostly because I think she works as a supporting player, and Salem needs some of those. I would keep Billie for the same reason.

I also need EJ to find out about the baby NOW. I don't care what happens after that. I just think the show needs to avoid yet another EJ baby lie story at all costs.

• Members

They went into early contract talks with major players whos contracts were expiring during the reset and imediatly following, thats why his happened so early. You didnt here about the others bcause they just accepted the terms, and from what i was told/understand JS wasnt really overly demanding, he legit wasnt sure if he wanted to stay and work or move back to wherever he came from (im not being mean here, i honestly cant remember).

And ITA about Sweeney being like Lucci. Both are smart women who know where they came from and found ways to make their outside brand work with their day job.

I agree, its time to trim the fat. I dont agree with all your choice, but people need to go. Daniel, jennifer, jack, nicole, gabi, roman, abe all come to mind. Melanie and Billie as you said work very well in a supporting show and could be used to create a community feeling by not really having a main story but floating between them that main players cant do due to budget/filming issues they face.

EJ is truly the character who needs to go. He needs to be murdered, violently, and there needs to be a big who done it and a trial. have stefano file a complaint against the Salem PD and being in the feds or something who find a history of the police taking care of eachother, putting their jobs at risk. at the same time have them looking into the dimeras and kiriakis' and stuff comes up. Not in this huge feds vs salem story, but to serve as a backdrop and catalyist to characters questioning their relationships with each other and be worried about what the future hold. it could cause a lot of change and impact.

and as someone else said, if the show has to film X scenes at the horton square (and they do) then make it work organically. establish that characters work there, or near by in office spaces. Have the corperations downsize and rent office spaces near the square to establish why everyone is always there. the spa being in the square was a good start, but have Maggie be restless an want to open a new place and have her pick the square to do it. sonnys coffee shop is another good place for now.

says really suffers from no impact from any of the stories, no set up/payoff, and a major lack of soap opera moments. they truly need new writers, i think these ones have good concepts but have no idea how to execute it daily.

Archived