Academy Awards 2012

dragonflies

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What? Why should The Descendants have won? It's a horrible film. A 90 minute piece of work that features two unlikable brats. a deplorable mother figure, Clooney in his default role using his typical vacant performance skills with useless b and c storylines to mask the fact that the film doesn't have anything else to make it interesting, does not make an Oscar winning film.

The Help, Tree Of Life, The Artist were all better films then the Descendants. Ultimately the films this year were quite poor but that doesn't mean that Clooney vehice deserved to win it.

She completely transformed into Margret Thatcher. I would say that was one of her better performances of the past decade or so. The only other one I could see her winning for recently would have been for her performance in Doubt, but they passed on that.

• Members

I am not a Streep fan of the past decade. I feel she's gotten lazy and has allowed some bad habits to get in the way of giving authentic performances.

I never bought her as Thatcher, at times, it felt like I was watching a parody.

Glenn and Viola gave better performances in that category, IMO.

I knew Michelle didn't stand a chance, given her age and being the junior to everyone else in that category. I think she'll face a similar fate as Kate Winslet, where she finally wins when they deem her to be "old enough."

• Members

Michelle has yet to deliver an Oscar worthy performance in what she has been nominated for. She failed to deliver in Blue Valentine and the same thing happened in My Week With Marilyn she doesn't seem to understand her characters or communicate their wants/needs/desires to the film audiences and all of her messages turn out convoluted. The closest she has ever given to a truly oscar worthy performance was when she was nominated for Brokeback Mountain in 05' and that was a fairly straight forward basic role. The angry/disgusted wife who got cheated on. She's a limited performer techniques and she has failed to truly convey the characters intentions properly onscreen more over she has never immersed herself fully into her character.

Meryl's performance in the Iron Lady grew on me, it's never going to be perfect but I think it's obvious that there was nothing Meryl-like about her Margaret and she completely dedicated herself to acting out the role. I think she had the best performance in the category by a healthy distance. Viola was very effective but it wasn't a hard or demanding role and Glen Close's film was misappropriated into some sort of hybrid drama/comedy - especially for such a strong topic such as being transsexual.

• Members

I actually had great fun watching the show and was entertained throughout. I love Billy Crystal as the host. He can be caustic without going past the line and he just emits this positive, fun persona.

I am very surprised at people sneering at THE ARTIST's win. It makes me wonder if most of the people complaining have actually seen it? It was a wonderfully written, acted and directed movie that managed to involve audiences that were far, far removed from this type of storytelling and evoked humor, passion and drama in equal measures. This faux cynicism ("It only won because it was black and white!") is really grating. Well, maybe I'm not that surprised.

Meryl Streep--I'm glad she won. There was just no way she wouldn't. She gave a great, awe-inspiring performance. The moment she accepts her husband's death in the movie will always remain one of my favorite acting moments, ever. If only she had had the script to back her up.

It really was not. I didn't think there was even a slight chance it wouldn't win lol

• Members

Glad to see that Viola hadn't won, as I would've been beyond pissed to see her talent be reward for such a trifling role. Not so thrilled that Octavia Spencer won, though, for the same reason.

Other than the Muppets and Esperanza Spaulding's beautiful rendition of What a Wonderful World, this year's telecast offered nothing.

• Members

Apparently there's a lot of anger over racially tinged moments such as Billy dressed as Sammy Davis Jr. What did you think? I didn't even realize that was him, but I guess I can understand the anger. I don't associate blackface with the offensive blackface unless someone is doing the Mammy routine or doing racial stereotypes, but I can see why people would be offended.

• Members

The pic of Tom Crusie is even more amazing than when i watched him on the telecast. The dude looks FLAWLESS. It's not the pinched/tight/pulled look that is usually the norm when someone recently had work. I'm trying to gauge what he had done and I honestly can't. The guy has one hell of a plastic surgeon 'cause he's looks like he's in his mid thirties.

• Members

I can't believe they had the Christopher Guest gang on the Oscars. It's so great to get to see Catherine O'Hara, Eugene Levy, Fred Willard, in a venue like this. They stole the show.

Can anyone tell me who that guy was sitting beside Fred Willard? He looked so familiar.

It looked like some Botox to me.

Archived