Similarities between Daytime & Primetime characters

• Members

Trying to keep the board a little active after losing so many soaps recently and thought about this fun topic. I have noticed a lot of similarities between daytime and primetime characters, have you?

Amanda Corey from Another World and Amanda Carrington from DYNASTY may as well be the same character, and the actress' were both very, very similar.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

From what I recall of Amanda from the AW reruns, I didnt find the two Amanda's that similar. Dynasty Amanda was a spoiled brat, very pretentious, worldly and had a very proper demure about her. Her selfishness also made her kinda bitchuy. AW's Amanda was more down to earth and chill. She could be bratty, but I I dont recall her being all that bitchy

I got one thats kinda obvious. AMC's Babe and Dynasty's Sammi Jo. I believe Babe was even modelled after her as the character made several Dynasty references when she first started. Both came from no money but find a way to marry into a family of money. Early Babe was written a bit more skanky and devious like Sammi Jo was

• Members

Adam Carrington and Adam Newman:

Adam C. was a Yale-educated lawyer./Adam N. is a Harvard business school graduate.

Adam C. grew up in small-town Montana and learned the truth about his parentage from his dying "grandmother"./Adam N. grew up on a Kansas farm and learned the truth about his paternity from his dying mother Hope.

Adam C. arrived in Denver and was attracted to Fallon, unaware she was his sister./Adam N. arrived in Genoa City and was attracted to Phyllis, unaware she was married to his half-brother Nicholas.

Adam C. constantly clashed with Fallon and Steven./Adam N. constantly clashes with Victoria and Nicholas.

Adam C. became involved with Steven's emotionally fragile wife Claudia./Adam N. became involved with Nicholas's emotionally fragile ex-wife Sharon.

• Members

Yeah, I remember all of that, but I never realized how similar she was to Sammy Jo. Remember when she asked Liza if Colby was named after the Colbys? LOL

Unpopular opinion, but I would have loved it if some of their family showed up. <AMS>Krystal must have had a little hot piece of a nephew or cousin who could have come and shaken Josh's tree</AMS>

• Members

I always wanted some of the family to come up. Remember she had a rich aunt whom she named Babe after thinkin she'd get some of that money? The way Babe described them, it seems like they were a bunch of hicks, but based on Krystal's story, I guess that wasnt the case for all of them. Its too bad that was never explored. Krystal definetly could have benefited from having someone from her past show up. Even though they made her an honorary Martin towards the end, it was very apparent just how alone she was on the show

• Members

I have yet to see her work in the role to fairly judge, yet I have always felt that the casting of Lola Falana as Charity Blake on Capitol was a direct daytime response to Diahann Carroll's casting as Dominique Deveraux on Dynasty... glamorous black diva additions to lily white glamor soaps of the eighties.

That said, it's been widely accepted that Joan Collins' Alexis saw her fair share of clones/spins on her character in daytime: Myrna Clegg, Felicia Gallant, Augusta Lockridge, Alexandra Spaulding, Lucinda Walsh, Gwyneth Alden, the beefed up characterizations of Erica Kane, Dorian Lord, Iris Carrington Wheeler, Jill Abbott, Raven Whitney, Tracy Quartermaine...

• Members

Sami Jo was horrible though. She used her child as a virtual ATM machine.

I thought the "Hot Girls" who tortured Lily on AMC were a direct response to the film Mean Girls. I also thought Luke on ATWT was a very similar character to Queer As Folk's Justin Taylor.

• Members

I thought more AMC characters kinda were similar to other Dynasty characters

Annie - Claudia. Both crazy, passed off between the men of the rich C family (Chandler - Carrington). Had a very tragic story arc

Marissa - Kirby. Both plain bores who were involved with the C cousins/brothers (Scott/JR - Adam/Steven)

JR - seemed more like a mesh of Adam and Steven, but more so Adam

Erica - Alexis. Pretty obvious. The queen bitch of their respective shows.

Adam - Blake. Well more so early Blake, when he was written like a rich a-hole not to be crossed

Brooke - Krystal. Many of Adam's wives could fill the Krystal mold. I picked Brooke bc of her status as Erica's rival. I guess Krystal Carey could also work, especially with the Babe/Sammi Jo connection

Skye - Fallon. Spoiled little daddy's girl. Doesnt like father's new wife and can be a complete bitch when she doesnt get her way.

Palmer - Cecil. Cuthroat business man. Adam - Blake's main rival

Colby - Amanda. Youngest C daughter. Spoiled rich girl who hates her mother

David - Nick. Both shady doctors who go out of their way for revenge

Ryan - Jeff. His friendship with Erica kinda reminded me of Jeff's with Alexis. Both also got involved with alot of women and were their shows respective leading men

Connie (faux Silver) - Caress. Younger sister of the queen bitch who comes to town to hurt her

AJ - Danny. Blonde son of Babe/JR - Sammi Jo/Steven

Onyx - Dominique. Damn it! I know Onyx never debuted but we all know she would have been a Dominique type...lol

David - Dr. Markl

• Members

Maria Arena Bell seemed to have modeled the Newmans in 2009 and 2010 after Dynasty:

Victor/Blake

Nikki/Alexis

Ashley/Krystle

Victoria/Fallon

Nicholas/Steven

Adam/Adam

Abby/Amanda

JT/Jeff

Phyllis/Sammy Jo

Sharon/Claudia

Archived