ATWT: P&G to release ATWT DVD Collection

dragonflies

• Members

I think they included the 1979 episode because it's the earliest they can possibly go with crystal clear masters of the episodes, and I'm very glad they included it, clunk or no clunk. They probably could have chosen a better episode (come on, give me something with Lisa in full bitch form! Or at least let me get just a taste of Susan's original run!), but I'm glad to get it at all. ATWT existed before the 80s, and I'm glad this set acknowledges that.

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The Tom and Margo episode was BEAUTIFUL and so much fun! I agree that they should've included the first Holden and Lily wedding because it was the best. The one they DID include was terrible. Also I feel they did a horrible job showcasing the 90s and it probably was because Roger doesn't know the show well enough. He kept saying in the DC interview that the 90s were so bad and they kept pushing him for episodes. Well hello! They weren't THAT bad! Marland's work was still airing through 1994 yet nothing was included from 1990-1994 (and there were many HUGE high profile stories then). Margo's rape, the stuff with Frannie and Darryl in Switzerland. John/Iva. Craig/Sierra stuff. Lots of Lily and Holden. Then in the late part of the decade there was still a lot of stuff they DID work and many characters that were popular. Where is Damian? Damian/Lily were huge.

I didn't realize Roger wasn't a big ATWT fan, but that does explain a lot of it. Some of the choices are strange, but I CAN'T knock him for the 1979 episode. I'm glad since thats the furthest he could go back that he included something. I thought the episode was VERY interesting, not so much for Bob and Dana, but for Lisa's storyline. It was nice seeing her in her own storyline and looking so young. Plus Lisa and Grant were a great couple. I just wish he'd looked at that story and picked something to better showcase Lisa.

• Members

MB/Lily fans have the episode she learns her true parentage (personally, that's not one of my favs either...).

I really don't think they have anything from bitchy Lisa or Susan's original run, which is a damn shame. I'd love to see earlier seventies stuff---the John/Kim/Dan/Susan stuff would be at the top of my list.

• Members

Yes we have that, plus there were MUCH better episodes from the 00s and even the 90s they could've included instead of Holden and Lily's wedding. Why not something with Rose?

For Susan I would've settled for an episode with the affair with Bob or the fallout from it. For Lisa I think 1979/1980 would've been my main focus. She was still headlining her own stories and Grant was still around so thats where they should've focused for Lisa. I'd take something substantial from that over that horrible 1996 Humiliation episode. It was *so* dull.

• Members

Tom and Margo wedding: I didn't care for the wedding...lol. I loved seeing the classic favorites on there but the wedding was just blah. It wasn't great the second time watching it.

I'm glad you got to hear the interview Chris. I would have included all the stories you mentioned and I am sorry but Lucinda/Connor takeover in 1991...that was pure brilliance and had to be included.

I would not have included the 79 episode ..just because that's the only year they had of the 70's. I would have done an 80's, 90's, 2000 pack dvd set with the weddings included plus Lily and Holden'f first wedding.

The LIly and HOlden wedding chosen was ok. I also didnt like Martha's wedding dress. I didnt like the way the wedding was set up. The wedding should have been a simple wedding with all the big returns in attendance. The Rattray wedding was more beautiful with its remote and church wedding. This one was nice but didn't compare to the first wedding.

Btw...I would have also liked to see more of bitchy Lisa and Susan. Oh and where was the Susan vs Lucinda episodes??? The Bob/Susan affair?? I could go on....

A real fan of the show should have been chosen to help out. Not someone who knows someone who knows the people in charge of releasing the DVDs.

• Members

Great minds think alike....lol

The Lisa episode again was ok but not the best. I would have taken the Bob and Susan affair over it. Or dammit...Lucinda vs Susan....come on....lol

And again Connor take over....had to be there!

• Members

But if ATWT's DVD does well, P&G is likely to release its other soaps as well, Bell, Corday, and ABC are likely to notice and mimic them, etc. The "support the soap genre" mantra makes sense.

That said I haven't bought it yet myself personally lol.

• Members

The one episode had Rose and Lily being in a well. So it wasn't like Rose wasn't on also, there was the boathouse episode which was also the memorial for Holden and Luke.

I was surprised nothing with Kim/Bob/Susan story was included as that was a huge story that was before my time watching ATWT and I knew about it. So far in the first two disks, I haven't seen any old Emily (Melanie Smith) and people loved her back in the day for example.

There were decent stories in the early 90s, specifically the Marland material. I too would have had something with Lily and Damian as they were huge, like something from when they filmed outside the US. There are outside the US remotes that could have been chosen to just show the scope of the program. I'd also would have liked it if we would have had a huge Marland party episode that wasn't for an anniversary or anything just for the fun of it.

All of this said, there is no way that I could even attempt to create a set of great ATWT moments as there were too many years that I wasn't watching for various reasons. So while I may have picked some different episodes than were chosen, I wouldn't have known really where to start during certain time periods. I'd have gone with obvious things like weddings between famous couples and episodes featuring alumni that are known to soap viewers who may not be ATWT fans.

The 1979 episode was weird due to the focus. I would have been happier with an episode that was about Lisa or Barbara or Kim or Bob or John instead of a ballet episode about a chick named Dana and a hey look its Peter Simon not playing Ed and lacking dialogue.

• Members

This is the type of thing that only a real fan would know. If Newcomb doesn't know a lot about the show he may assume many people only cared for KMH, since she lasted so long. Personally, it took me about ten years to stop calling her "the new Emily" and by the end I felt more pity for KMH (who had some of the worst material ever for a soap actress) than anything else.

• Members

I felt the same way. It took me a long time to accept her as Emily. Melanie Smith will always be Emily to me. I wish she had been included in the DVD release. Let's hope there is another release with the ones were are requesting.

• Members

where are we getting the intel that Newcomb isn't that in to ATWT tho? I posted on an ATWT board with him back to like 2000? We were on ATWT.com then that got shut down by P&G and moved to ososunny.com and then eventually moved to weloveatwt.com -- I eventually left the community because it was too cliquy and Roger was one of the ringleaders in the clique. So he has been involved with the ATWT community for mad long for someone who isn't that in to the show.

• Members

I would lurk ATWT boards and Roger was involved in those forums over 10 years ago. His choices for episodes though had a gap as there are two episodes from 1987 and then no episodes until 1996. (I am not counting the "1991" episode obviously as it was marked wrong.) That is a nine year period with nothing worthy, ATWT had good episodes and stories within those years. Obviously not every year could be represented, but the gap is during a time I watched ATWT pretty regularly, so I notice it.

Archived