ATWT: P&G to release ATWT DVD Collection

dragonflies

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Steve & Betsy wedding has the closing credits...lol

I did notice Tom King is HW. Elizabeth Hubbard is in the credits. Bunim is EP.

So who killed off Whit? Was it Marland??? Or was it King??

Ewwww...Lucy Deakins as Lily....lol. I hardly/barely remember her...lol

• Members

King killed off Whit.

I liked the little I've seen of Deakins. She seems tougher than Byrne's Lily, which I would expect, given that she had Lucinda as a mother. I like that ridiculous episode where she and Dusty sneak out to a dance club.

• Members

C.B Barnes as Paul......I remember him in the role. Nice to see him again.

I've got to say that this episode's color is so vivid and so crisp. It really looks like it was digitally remastered.

Great seeing Sierra and pre teen Andy...Scott Defreitas.....lol

Scott Bryce was so cute back in 85...hehe

• Members

I started with the 1979 episode, Lily finding out Iva is her mother (which I'd already seen) and the 1999 episode where they discover Hal is Parker's father.

The 1979 episode was very good and it felt like such a different show. It seemed more serious and glamourous and elegant than what it became. It was also a nice treat seeing James Douglas as Grant. I didn't realize he played Lisa's husband, now I'm wishing he'd come back to send her off. He was so dynamic on Peyton Place and since they used John for Lucinda it would've been nice. It was nice seeing Lisa somewhat young and in her own storyline as well. It seemed like a really good time for the show. Does anybody know who was writing and what the stories were? Also, who played Dana? She looked like an actress I remember from Texas.

I won't comment on the Iva episode since it wasn't new to me. The 1999 episode was and I thought it was terrible lol. I'm sorry, but 95-99 wasn't *that* bad where it was so difficult to find good episodes to feature. There was lots of popular story with Damian/Lily/Holden, this is when Carly became a power player with Rosanna and Mike and you also had a great story with the church fire that led into Kim's coma and anniversary episode. They had stuff to feature is my point. That episode was so fricking boring and the only interesting story was the main one with Carly. The scenes with Lily and Denise were decent, but why not pick an episode from the fallout of THAT story? I'm sure it was big considering the characters involved.

Regardless of anything, I will buy every set that this company releases of any soap, but I do hope in addition to the 80s ATWT set they're planning, they do a 90s set. There's a lot from that period I'd like to see or relive. Margo's rape, Rosanna/Carly stuff, Casey's death, that church fire I mentioned, Damian/Lily and so much stuff that I can't think of. That decade introduced me to ATWT and propelled a lot of the stories that drove the show when I was watching.

• Members

I think the Hunts were writing ATWT in 1979? I'm not sure. Dana was played by Deborah Hobart, who was soon put into another short-lived role at AW and has gone on to appear in, among other things, The Notebook. I think stories around this time were Lisa and Grant dealing with Joyce, the disastrous marriage of Joyce and Don Hughes, Dan Stewart dying of a brain tumor. I'm sure there are recaps available - have you tried to look for FrenchFan's old recaps in the main thread?

I remember ATWT of the late 90s as a mess. I would have included Nancy's 80th birthday party, although that had the crap about the Valetta sinking.

• Members

I do agree that overall the late 90s were a mess, but I do think there were many episodes that were much better than that one from 1999 that was included. It didn't even have interesting b-stories. And I believe that was my first time seeing Yvonna Perry as Rosanna and she was pretty dreadful. That hair didn't help matters either.

I see Paul Raven posted a recap of the Dana story which does sound interesting. I wonder what public opinion was of ATWT at the time. I wonder if it was just a forgotten period or was it viewed negatively at the time. I know when Douglas Marland took over the show was already pretty good. The Bob and Kim wedding is pre-Marland and it was fantastic. I have 18 episodes showcasing the before and after of that wedding and I was glued to my tv screen. I also loved Lucy Deakins as Lily.

• Members

I think the headwriter was probably still King. I'm not sure. Oakdalian has the episode where the killer is revealed, so they will probably have the writers' name in the credits.

Public opinion of ATWT at that time (1979), I don't know, but the ratings were falling and the show was becoming irrelevant in terms of place in the soap world. At this point a ton of new characters were coming and going.

I preferred YP Rosanna as a bitch, but then that's because I had to sit through her years as a heroine, which were, until Carly showed up, enough to drive me away from the show for months at a time.

Archived