ATWT: P&G to release ATWT DVD Collection

dragonflies

• Members

Hi All. Someone pointed me in this direction. Just wanted to say I am a lifelong ATWT fan. Watched since birth pretty much (1970). My mom and siblings were all CBS soap fans. In the mid to late 90s I wasn't able to watch daily. It sort of became a chore with really spotty writing (to be honest) and I didn't have time to watch on my trusty VCR then as faithfully as in the past, but I kept up with the stories online and in the magazines. After a few years of spotty watching I returned in 1999 after AW was canceled. Not sure how someone could think I wasn't an ATWT fan growing up? I interviewed Melanie Smith a year or so ago and loved her run as Emily. Like someone else said, it was so good that it was hard to accept KMH even after 15+ years. I have an interview with Barbara Rodell coming soon.

The parameters were four categories with five episodes. I suggested about 30 different categories covering lots of different angles and time periods but they settled on the four that appeared on the DVD. Obviously, even with starting in Sept. 1979 picking 20 episodes to please fans who may have watched all 54 years is not easy.

Working in those parameters episodes had to "fit" and I tried to choose things that would include as many people's favorites as possible.

In terms of 1979 that was just my attempt to include a really "classic" episode for longtime fans. When I talk to people some really wanted shows before 1980 and others only wanted thing after or even after 2000!

None of the 1979 episodes are documented well. There is no summary for each one. I have some weekly summaries and a script from Oct. 1979 but that's it. Due to time constraints (they really pulled out a miracle making this deal in July and getting it out a few months later), I was only able to re-watch the entire month of September. I wanted to include a great Joyce episode, or Lisa/Grant. I originally was thinking of the episode where someone tries to hurt Grant at his office with an elevator accident, but the footage seemed really dark and not a lot else was going on. So watching about 20-25 shows and having to pick a "scandal" I went with Ian MacFarland, but mostly because there was some good Lisa/Grant scenes and that particular episode showed more cast members from that time than any of the others.

If I had more time to watch I would have loved something from the conclusion of the Lisa/Bennett storyline. I spoke to Eileen Fulton recently and she had a great story about that.

Thanks for all the feedback. I haven't had time to go back and read through all the pages yet, but I scanned the first few and it's awesome to see people excited about the DVDs. My hope is this leads to more, not only from SoapClassics and the P&G catalog, but for other soaps as well.

If anyone has any specific questions about the first set, let me know. :)

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well glad you made it over here. I believe you were a member back when...

Yes, a lot of excitement but lots of criticism too.....lol As an ATWT fan...a big one at that I hope we get another ATWT DVD with the episodes posters on SON want.

LOL...love ya PJ.wub.png

• Members

The only episode I absolutely didn't like was the Snyder Christmas episode. I started watching it, and it reminded me of why ATWT got cancelled in the first place. It's supposed to be about the Snyder family, but it's really just freaking Nuke. I feel like having watched some of the episodes from the late 80s gave me a better understanding of the Snyder family than that episode did.

The other episodes were all good, I thought.

Yeah, it's a shame that the episodes from the 70s are such a mess. I would have liked to see some stuff from the early 90s too.

When was Bob and Susan's affair? I'd love to see an episode from that. Also fallout from Adam's paternity (maybe that was late 80s??). But yeah, I'd love to see episodes from around then.

I guess that's the "problem" with the DVD's release, because it's really just a taste of what ATWT had to offer. Now that I've watched most of the episodes, I just want to see more!

And oh yeah, I remember Roger from WAY back on the internet, and he was always very informative about ATWT. There was a really awesome ATWT website (I can't remember the name of it unsure.png) that I think he ran.

• Members

The Snyder Christmas shouldnt have been included on DVD. That was way too recent and I have it on dvd already...and the episode stunk too. At least the Bob and Kim episode had Julianne Moore and was a better episode.

Bob and Kim's affair was in 1990. I also thought an Andy episode with his drinking should have been included ...like when he had the accident while drinking......

I just know the Snyder Christmas was used because Noah was in it...

• Members

It's funny because the Snyder Christmas episode made me remember why I hated ATWT so much during it's final years, while the Bob and Kim anniversary show (which aired only a few months later) made me miss the show. I started crying watching it.

So yeah, the Christmas episode shouldn't have been included because it was a BAD episode.

The thing I loved from the episodes from the Marland years was seeing just how important the Snyders had become. I loved seeing Emma as a character with material, and not just someone who's name gets mentioned because other characters are staying with her. The Snyder farm became a motel basically.

• Members

The reason I heard about and didn't see the Bob/Susan affair was due to the lack of a VCR and spotty viewing due to school.

Another thing from that era that could have been included was the Angel incest story... Also I would have liked to see something with Duncan like the aftermath of when Duncan went to the airport to pick up his wife and it was not the wife he expected. While the story as a whole wasn't great, the shock reunion was.

When I watched the Snyder Christmas episode on its original airdate, my first thought was I must have stopped watching for a really long time as how did Holden and Lily get all of these kids...

• Members

I never considered myself a fan of the character of Duncan, though I thought he was okay. Just thinking about characters that were important in the time frame that was missing and stories that could be used in a later release.

I have a silly question that maybe someone can answer...the Emily/Brock tango episode what was else was going on during that?

• Members

Duriing that time we had Derek who along with his father were trying to kill Lily. Later, Derek realized what he was doing...tired to get Lily out of the house without her dying...the whole explosion. Lily made it out but with her face disfigured...in comes Heather Ratttray later and Derek died in the explosion.

• Members

Roger thank you for clarifying - I apologize for assuming you hadn't watched ATWT in the 90s. I guess I didn't know why there would be no episodes from that time otherwise. I can see that this time period may have been more difficult to put one episode in because it was very dense.

I would suggest though if (hopefully) any more of these are ever made, you should consider including the 1991 or 1992 Christmas episodes, which are beautiful.

Oh and if any Digest synopses help a few of us have posted some in here, although they obviously aren't daily.

• Members

I would've enjoyed Meg and Josh's wedding too. That would've been nice for the Snyder family. I *think* most of them appeared. Of course we all have complaints and it's good to let them know for future releases, but overall it's a good starter set. I'm not too upset. I just watched the boathouse explosion which is fabulous. I never saw this. This was during the time when I became hooked on ABC soaps and had to kick CBS to the curb. I'm absolutely blown away. I wanna see more! I had heard about Barbara's face being scarred, but I never saw any of this. I want to see more. That was a brilliant episode and a nice mix of characters.

• Members

Hi Carl, no problem. When we started there were shows from that time frame part of the list that ultimately got edited down. There will definitely be more to come. :)

We've had fans send us so many awesome classic magazines over the past year. There are lots of typos and sometimes factual errors but the content is amazing compared to what we get in print today. And so much about the actor's personal lives, outside interests, custom photo shoots, etc. Do you remember The Soapbox Newsletter? I have them from 1978 and 1979 and wondering if that's all that exist or did that run longer?

Archived