ATWT: P&G to release ATWT DVD Collection

dragonflies

• Members

Loved the Christmas ATWT theme in the 1985 credits. Now watching the 1992 show.....OMG....Connor...ART....Heather Rattray as Lily.....Hutch....hahahaha...and Debbie Simon.....LOL....So far so good of an episode.....Wish the Christmas episode with Heather as Lily would have been added...not sure what year it was...I believe it was the 1990 Christmas episode.

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ugh...the 1995 Christmas Episode froze on me at 5 minutes in the episode.....it won't play past that point....this sucks....These DVDs need to be changed to region 1 and 2 DVDs...this free region or whatever it is called is not working for this release. I've had problems with both DVD releases. The video quality is great but the DVD encoding etc..etc..is awful.

Get this fixed Roger!

• Members

Got the DVD set.

I watched the 1979 episode first, and honestly it felt like a completely different show than any ATWT I'd seen (or at least my favorite ATWT years).

Can anyone tell me how long they'd had that hospital set? I think it was the same set they'd had in the 1973 episode where Dan Stewart was having a breakdown, but couldn't tell. I was so put off by the place - those gray walls and the bars and gratings on the windows. It looked like a prison hospital!

There were so many characters I barely knew, and who didn't last a year - Bennett, Dana, Sheila, etc. I think I struggled the most with Dana. I can't see her as a leading ballerina, and the actress was extremely wooden. I've seen quite a few of her AW episodes, about a year after this, and she's much better. Either she got used to daytime, or she was freed up by playing a slightly bitchier role, but she's not good at all on ATWT.

This Sheila, who mostly had a scene barking at Tom, also seemed ill-defined, although she had more potential - the writing was more of a problem for her.

I didn't care for this Tom (was this Tom Tammi?) at first, he seemed very stiff, but there was a little more boyishness and vulnerability, slightly, with Lisa and then Sheila.

It was a nice surprise to see Judith McConnell's Valerie, as I hadn't heard she was in this episode. I guess this is close to the end for her, since she was with her adopted daughter. Were they hinting at a pairing with Grant? Seeing McConnell in such a dull role doesn't work for me, but I see a lot of potential with her and she gives it her all, making generic scenes seem warm. I also like the girl who played her adopted daughter, Kate. She seemed like a natural actress, and she would have probably been a great addition to the younger women of Oakdale, especially since Annie and Dee had already been aged to 25 or so by this time.

The best part of the episode was Lisa and her doubts and fears and in particular that nightmare she had where she confused Bob and Grant, then went back to her time at the Willows with Bennett. I never knew they'd done a portrait of Eileen (I guess as Lisa's double). I wonder what happened to it.

• Members

Carl I certainly agree that Lisa's story was the best from that episode! I'd *love* to see more from 1979, but focused more of the story for Lisa and maybe look and see what Kim and John were upto at the time. Right now I finally got my Xmas dvd and for some strange reason, I enjoyed it more than the 20 episode collection. They did a good job of showcasing a lot of different eras of the show. And unlike that dreadful Snyder Christmas episode, the Dollhouse one was actually very good. Now that I think about it, a Christmas from 1979 or 1980 would've been interesting just to see who is featured.

• Members

It was a different series. However, it was also in a strange limbo state. The Soderbergs had just been ousted, and Doug Marland was subbing until the Dobsons could assume the headwriting duties. I realize that Soapclassics was pushed for time, but I wish they had asked for assistance in selecting an episode. I do not feel this 1979 episode is a particularly good one to sell the set. I would have selected the episode from December 10, 1979, in which Lisa discovered the dead body of her doppleganger, Bennett Hadley's deceased wife. Doug always wrote an excellent conclusion to a Gothic mystery.

In my opinion, the best 1970s years of ATWT were 1972-77.

• Members

What did you think of Dana? If they wanted a younger woman for Bob I wonder why they didn't try someone more vibrant.

Was every episode focused so much on new characters or was this an anomaly?

I'm glad I got to see the episode, as it's so tough to see 70's ATWT, and I liked seeing some of the Hadley story. The rest was, as you said, very much in limbo.

I was also going to ask for your opinion on production values. Did you feel like they went way down as some time passed? I watched the Tom/Margo wedding episode and I was shocked at the clown makeup most of the women had on. A few of them had such heavy rouge that I actually gasped.

Colin is a little too OTT for me but I did love the scenes of all the confused people showing up at the wedding in their dirty clothes. It's so rare to see Anne Sward doing comedy. I also liked seeing more of Ellen and David.

These were Jacqueline Schultz's last episodes weren't they (until her brief return)?

• Members

I hope they get one for you! I haven't watched that episode yet. I still have the 1985 and the 95 episode to watch. I still can't get over how entertaining and story packed these Christmas episodes are. I expected these to be throwaway episodes. I'm really impressed.

• Members

Yeah the episodes are great but the 95 episode never worked for me. I emailed them and left them my email and my phone number and they havent contacted me. I am disappointed that I had problems with both releases. I wish they would go the region 1 route instead of the region free route.....I know others who had similar problems.

Archived