The first death you saw on a soap

• Members

I remember Jenny and Ray dying but I didn't see them live. I think Cindy is my answer too, then Silver and Maria on OLTL. I'm thinking I must have seen at least one lesser character bite it before that but I can't recall.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The very first death I remember goes way back...I was maybe 7 or 8 years old (so around '74 or '75) and my grandmother watched SEARCH FOR TOMORROW. Sometime either during the summer or when I was home for school for lunch, I watched it with her and remember the murder of a character named Robin. I remember was 17 years old and it seems like it may have been a mob hit to keep her quiet about something. There were definitely at least 2 male characters talking about killing her, but I can't remember the circumstances or who they were. The murder must have been off-screen. This was about the time that Morgan Fairchild's character fell through the plate-glass window and got her face scarred.

I actually started watching soaps regularly when I was sucked into an on-screen murder. This was the death of Renee DiMera on DAYS on Labor Day of '83 -- the beginning of the Salem Slasher mystery.

• Members

I think mine was Didi on OLTL. It was quite memorable as she died in an interesting way, after being thrown onto an electric fence. She died along with Patrick. Here are the scenes

im confused bc I also remember Samantha Garrestson's death but I was 1 years old when that originally aired so it must have been a rerun that played in the late 80s

• Members

I remember seeing Hope "die" during the Cruise of Deception storyline, but the first real death that I saw was Mary dying on Santa Barbara when the sign fell on her. II remember it being so incredibly sad. My mother was sobbing, and I was trying to console her.

• Members

I remember the reaction to Mac's death on Another World when I was really young. I think they did a title card as a tribute at the end of an episode?

But the first death that happened on screen that I remember vividly was when Frankie was murdered on AW. I couldn't believe it was happening and couldn't look away. I was so sad.

• Members

First soap death I saw was DAYS' Tony DiMera November 1995 suicide when he framed John for his death in Aremid. One of my favorite soap deaths ever, because it created such far-reaching drama across the canvas.

First primetime soap death was Scott on 90210 back in 1991 when he accidently shot himself at his own birthday party.

• Members

Phillip Chancelor III (Jill's son) on Y&R in 1989. His body went limp, his baby started crying, Nina, Christine and Rex fled the room and all that was left was Jill staring at Katherine in disbelief at all she'd lost and the hatred between the two which had fueled it all these years before exclaiming "First the father and now the son" over Phillip's dead body before she just broke down sobbing.

I will never forget that.

Archived