The first death you saw on a soap

• Members

You did. Helga Voynitzeva died two years before Mona Kane Tyler. I was in junior high when Helga took her tumble, and Mona's funeral was the summer before my sophomore year. The memory markers we have. I remember because that was the same year my parents finally allowed me to wear black clothing, ironically, the summer Mona died. Long story, but my father wouldn't allow me to wear black clothing as a child. He said it was too severe a color to wear.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think it was when James Stenbeck fell out of a plane while fighting John Dixon on ATWT. Little did I know that I would get to see him die repeatedly as the years went on.

Of course, on Dark Shadows somebody died every other episode, but usually came back as a vampire or werewolf.

• Members

My sweet Jenny from AMC.

I thought she died for reals that day in the hospital with Greg.

I wasn't old enough yet to know the difference that AMC wasn't about real people.

My mom had to leave work to come and get me from the babysitter.

Oh the tears...and the yelling...that was going on that afternoon from me.

I was not pleased with her dying!

LoL

• Members

For me it was Nadine on GL. Considering she ate so much of the show and Brent/Marian was the first big story I was really invested in, it was weird not seeing her afterwards. Then Reva's undeadness sort of made soap deaths mean nothing to me, and...I've been drinking and have no idea where I was going with this. ONWARD!

• Members

Because I was only 5, I have very vague memories of Adam getting killed on Edge Of Night in 77, and Raven's husband Kevin dying in 78. The first soap death I can fully remember like it happened yesterday was Guiding Light's Roger falling off the cliff in 1980. I was so terrified that my knees shook because I thought Ed would save him, then he would kill Ed, Mike & Holly. Man was I relieved when Ed lost his grip, but I was just as excited 8 years later when we learned he survived!

Archived