AMC - Wednesday - September 21, 2011

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No way they'll kill Stuart a second time--I know we'ver had some outlandish stuff latelybut I just can't buy Agnes doing that, especially as in her TVGuide piece she said she was very upset that Pratt killed Stuart.

I just posted in the Tuesday ep threrad that I thought people were too hard on it in general (though I didn't like it even half as much as the Hubbard's episode), but I am glad I watched it and today's back to back--as I pretty much agree with most here that it was almost completely terrific.

I never liked Babe much either, but found her scenes very touching (and JR's painful But you're dead was hard to watch). I am glad she came back this way, even if it sets JR up for his inevitable fall, I think it's actually more moving than if she too had come back from the dead.

The Martin shtick (well mainly Tad and Jake) can get old for me quickly, but I didn't mind it at all today-in fact I loved the proposal scene. I did wonder where the kids were for most of the peisode, you'd think their grandparents would want to see them straight away--but a bunch of soap kids, as Tuesday's episode showed, constantly in scenes gets annoying fast, so it was probably wise. Was glad Opal came back when she did--and mentioned Sam telling her she should re open the Glamorama. And how great would it be, though I don't see it ever happening, to have Ruth and Joe around a lot more bringing some of that old school AMC feeling back (yes even with Lee as Ruth).

I wish the flashbacks had had a lot of older scenes, and again I think they could have used Mary Fickett, but it was nice to get a little tribute to Kate. (I wonder if Ruth's death would have been written into the show if Mary had still been playing her). And yes, the comedy stuff at the start was great with little injokes--I found it weird too that they disappeared, but I think it would have gotten in the way of the rest of the episode.

Adam and Brooke--perfect, and I thought their interaction with JR was pretty spot on for what's going on with him right now. Even the David stuff didn't bug me, partly cuz of the Angie connection--and it was nice to be somewhat surprised by stuart's return who, for some reason, makes a lot more sense than other characters to have been used in the Orpheus experiment to me. (Yes I did guess a few days ago that Stuart was the body, but still it hadn't been spoiled or leaked so wasn't sure).

bravo. I can't believe two episodes left...

• Members

Yeah, I'm starting to become a mess now. I thought the Tad and Dixie stuff was wonderful, and has been wonderful this time around - so easy and unforced because no one involved has anything left to prove BTS or in front of it. They're so easy and they really are Joe and Ruth II. They're infectious together and they are refreshingly unpretentious and often, it seems, improvisational. I'd give a lot for them to at least recur on the new show. I think Cady McClain could anchor a lot of things.

I do think several of the big returns - Leo, Gillian and Babe - seem like obvious rush job rewrites. I've heard they were all slated to return and reunite with their spouses in the original finale, though that may be bunk. And I think it's what they should have done with at least Leo and Gillian. I also heard that DC and JB's episode orders were cut down thanks to budget or time and they were supposed to appear for at least four or five more shows. It seemed very rushed just having Adam pop up today. He should've been back at least sometime early last week, IMO, at the latest.

• Members

The DC and JB rumour appears to be true--at least IU've heard it before, and it makes sense to me, which is unfortunate.

I'm not sure I buy that all these other characters were originally meant to return and not be dreams--from the get go Josh Duhamel shot his scenes relatively early cuz of schedule, for example--and even with Broderick's obsession with back from the dead (and, Nixon's too, to be fair), I am not sure I buy so many more coming when they already knew how much time was left. But...If the rewrite was largely around JR, that wouldn't have meant major changes for Leo, for example, would it? Anyway... Agreed with the rerst, particularly Tad and Dixie, a couple I haven't always been sold on.

• Members

For some reason I can never get used to Lee Meriwether with gray hair. It's like when my grandmother just stopped dyeing her hair. You never quite get used to it.

I wonder if we're supposed to think Jeff and Tara are also happy, since Joe said all his children are happy. Based on the last time we saw Tara she may not be far from a Margot Kidder-style breakdown.

I've often criticized what the Martin family became, and what they began to represent (the "good" people who exist mostly to show us how bad someone else is), but I was very touched by their scenes in this episode. The moment where everyone was standing around, happy, at peace, Opal going to get the photo album. Ruth's pure joy at being back home. It's something that certain people at ABC have been ashamed of for a long time.

I like how often they acknowledge Tad and Dixie aging and the absurdity of so many chances and proposals. It's very real.

I teared up a little when Joe started talking about Kate. I probably would have preferred more talk about the past to the flashbacks.

• Members

I bawled liked a baby after today's show! It was so warm and endearing, yet sad for me at the same time. I can't believe I'm watching the last week of AMC.

Monday's show was so good too! Btw, anyone watching JR Martinez on DWTS? I have even more respect and love for that guy now - he has an amazing personality.

Tuesday's show was a let down - I agree with you all. So sad too given that is Erica Kane's family episode. I'm hoping for more Thursday/Friday from them!

I just love that Stuart is alive. All the returns today! The warm Martin family episode - I don't know why, but I always think of Thanksgiving when I see the Martin family together like that.

I wish work this week wasn't so hectic! I can't watch the shows until late or the next day. But I will definitely be re-watching the entire week over the weekend!

• Members

Lovely episode even though I FF-ed through the Tad/Dixie proposal. Sorry but I'm just over them.

I loved the SMG stuff. It was sweet when she was talking about being homesick for a place she never knew. I daresay Pine Valley has its own hellmouth.

If DC and DM don't get Emmys for their work, I'll make ones for them. When Adam did that little imitation of Stuart, I shivered.

This Project Orpheus stuff has been a weight on the show's final weeks but I have to admit that the suspense and drama of "the last two patients" was a nice counterpart to the Martin reunion and angst of JR's Joker moment ("Wait'll they get a load of me.")

When Opal ran to hug Ruth, it reminded me of her shot in the opening credits. It's one of my favorites.

• Members

The relationship between Opal and the Martins is such a nice example of the power of redemption - when you think about where Opal started out, and where she is now, and the love Opal and Ruth both have for Tad.

Even though Jill Larson wasn't Opal when Kim Delaney was around I still always buy it when she talks about Jenny.

When Jamie showed up I kept thinking about how I should love this, but instead barely reacted. I hope they will considering a good recast and buildup for Jamie on PP. The character has potential but it just wasn't realized. Sometimes I wonder what made me have less of an attachment to the JR/Amanda/Jamie set, but I think mostly it's disappointment at never getting to see solid actors grow up in the role. There were so many actors, and it never quite mixed - the only time I liked both actors playing Jamie and JR was when Jonathan Bennett and Micah Alberti were in the roles, and that didn't last long at all.

• Members

Funny, I had exactly the opposite reaction to Jamie. I haven't missed him at all since he's been gone but when he showed up at the door I started tearing up. But I agree that the character has a lot of unrealized potential. I really want to see him and Brooke interact. I've always felt more for him with Brooke than Tad. Tad just has too many kids. He needed to go to the soap urologist just as badly as Todd Manning, Sonny Corinthos and Ryan Lavery. Hayward too. Way too much super sperm on these shows.

• Members

There was something like 20 goddamn kids on between the Kane episode and the Martin one. I had only the vaguest sense who all those [!@#$%^&*] kids were. That [!@#$%^&*] was like Guiding Light with Harley, Beth and Cassie's two thousand children. I kept expecting to hear some bad folk rock muzak.

Archived