Do we complain too much?

• Members

Not to single anyone out, but I remember in one of the early parts of the endless OLTL/AMC debate someone did say something like "But all soap viewers know that OLTL is a million times better than AMC right now". Drives me crazy--if I can easily accept that everyone has different favorites and wants with what they like in their shows, I don't get why some can't...

LOL I get your point, but it is true that this is common of every single forum. I belong to a theatre forum and a pop music forum and there never is ANY thread on a certain album or show that doesn't have at least a few people saying they absolutely hated it.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I can't remember the last time I thoroughly enjoyed everything on any daily soap opera from the writing to the acting and I started watching soaps as a tween. Perhaps there were individual episodes that I thought were outstanding, but there are always actors, characters and stories that I prefer over others. I don't expect to like every actor, character or story, but that said even if I like the majority of a cast, I have favorites. One of the great things about soaps is the variety, and the ability to see numerous stories with different performers going on and while some hit for me others don't, the idea that some work for others that I don't find appealing.

BL (who admits that even when I've enjoyed certain soaps tons, I usually find things that I think could have been better. That's part of my make up as a "critical" viewer, but I don't do that to bring people down.)

• Members

A big pet peeve to me is when people say "WE hate a character". Excuse me, but who died and made you the boss of the whole message board? A character isn't universally hated by everybody. For every one person who hates a character, there are probably one or two others who like that character.

And aMLC, I love that post! It boggles me that some people hate OLTL now, but to each his own, I guess. You COULD have someone like Megan McTavish writing it.

• Members

Yep! I remember once Michael Easton said that the networks want soap fans fired up, they want us to rant & rave and want to throw things, what they don't want is our apathy. They deliberately pit fanbases against each other for this very reason

Paraphrasing, but yep it's so very true

• Members

The thing is even if a soap is doing well in the ratings, it doesn't mean a fan of that show has to feel like it's the best he's seen the soap...

Ha I liked the first few months of McTavish's OLTL :P But seriously, this is a foolish argument, with all due respect, I think. Don't criticize a show because it COULD always be worse, it COULD always have an even less talented writer behind it??

• Members

I don't know if McTavish's OLTL was any different than what we're seeing now - it wasn't very good, but then, they didn't have 3 noble rapists on the canvas simultaneously, or stories that told viewers being sexually abused is hot and that a woman secretly wants it.

• Members

I remember it being an improvement only because I hated most of OLTL under Pam Long and JFP, and then things got worse when JFP was EP and HW--and McTavish was an improvement of sorts, at first. Although I think McTavish's worse trait is she's a yes woman, always eager to please, and it seemed pretty likely that JFP was dictating story to her for a lot of it, or at least not approving story till mcTavish came up with one to please her. But at any rate I was partially being facetious with my answer :P

Seems to be! :) lolI dunno, I don't get the point of a forum if you can't express your disagreement--that's why all fo this "People coming into this show's thread saying they hate it SUCK" attitude leaves me confused.

• Members

Thats my issue. I don't think RC is terrible but its almost getting to the point that if you don;t think he's great you must have no idea of good soap opera because "Ron" rose ratings. What about the months when OLTL was in the toilet under him was he still great then. Lets see Stacy Morasco, Mitch wanting to rape and impregnate Jessica, the Marty raperomance stuff, I can appreciate that this kind of stuff doesn't bother some people and thats fine but in terms of how OLTL writes woman, as bad as some think AMC is I would take any version of AMC barring Pratts in terms of how women are written for. I think RC is the most mysognist writer out there along with Sheffer. Has he written stuff that get people talking yes. THe Stacy Morasco stuff had everyone talking but it also drove viewers away. And then they blame the Kish stuff for the ratings plummets while the Mitch/Jessica story was going on at the same time.

People who are enjoying the show continue to enjoy it thats fine but allow those who don't find RC the best thing since sliced bread to share their views also.

Archived