Do we complain too much?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes. It's a ridiculously stupid misguided belief that if you write 32 times in a daily thread that "Brian Frons is Evil" and "Current Head Writer is a 'Hack'" that something will change from it. It's one thing to express yourself, but expressing the same opinion REDUNDANTLY isn't going to change the way things are.

• Members

I don't really know how to answer this one though I know of some boards of yesteryear, if that statement was made they would be filleted. Actually I remember people asking a variation of it, if you aren't happy why do you watch... For me, if you complain it means you care, if you don't care most of the time you won't look at something and post about it just because.

• Members

I think so. I was so excited to talk about OLTL because I think the soap was cooking with gas and was highly enjoyable, and to go into the OLTL thread you would think you were watching a soap written by Pratt's less talented brother.

It sort of happened again recently when I entered the B&B thread because I wanted to enthuse about the dream/berry drug sequence and how fun I thought it was. And that crew was not enjoying that soap either. I don't post in the GH forum much anymore because so few actually discuss the show. For the most part I like the show, but all I ever see in that thread is discussions bashing Laura Wright looking like a horse, having the teeth of a horse..something like that.

• Members

I've expressed this before and got threatened to be put on ignore more than once. That's all well and good, but it's doesn't change anything. I enjoy reading posts that actually advance the conversation because damn, we already know you're going to stop watching when............, or how much you hate this actor or how much this writer repeats himself.

• Members

But seriously, folks...

We complain -- and in most cases, we complain loudly and often -- because we are all so passionate about this genre...

But what if the problem lies not in the actual shows, but in our expectations from them?

What if we are rarely happy w/ these shows, because we just expect too much from them, quality-wise?

Would we be more content just to do what so many have suggested, accept that it's "just a soap opera" and have fun with them, regardless?

• Members

I love this topic.

This board, when you look at it with others, is tame by comparison. On some boards, people make it a point over and over to say they hate a certain story or character, or in some extreme cases hate an actor/actress (as if they're REALLY that person on screen... lol). I just want to go "ENOUGH ALREADY!" God. Yes, it's freedom of speech, but when you're redundantly making the same point people DO get tired of it.

On whether we complain, I guess I can say either people are bitterly unhappy about their own lives and want to take it out on message boards or they just have to be contrary to public opinion.

In all fairness, it isn't just soaps. It's other message boards. It could be a sports board and people would complain endlessly. It could be prime-time TV, same result. Politics? You know the answer to that question. lol

• Members

Personally attacking an actor over and over again because they play a character that is coming between your fave couple is just really crazy. I mean they constantly do it over and over again and swear up and down the person is bad even though they've never met them.

Then they want to turn and get offended when someone doesn't like said couple or actors that portray them. LOL.

• Members

Not to mention attacking an actor or actress just because they take up time on a TV screen. Damn, people were so down on Crystal Hunt when she played Stacy on OLTL. I just wanted to say "Stacy's a character, not a real person" but people wouldn't listen.

Archived