AMC - Friday - August 19, 2011

• Members

Agreed! It is realistic, especially given the fact that his ego was dealt a huge blow by Marissa abandoning him & their family unit for another woman. Is JR also anti-insane people because he was trashing Annie at every turn before he fell for her? Some of the dialogue they had JR say to Annie was downright cringeworthy..."better yet, just have her put down," when he compared Annie to a dog. "Are you back in your kennel yet?" "Do they screen for crazy?" And yet with this same woman whom he derided, he later took the time to listen to & understand, and even fall in love with. I love JR not just because of JY's portrayal but because he is a gray character, with layers, who not only has deep flaws, but also some virtues & redeeming characteristics. Granted, not many of them are visible right now, but I believe in the end, JR will once again be redeemed.

JR can be nasty, evil, mean, but that doesn't make him a homophobe. The comment today I took as him being upset at the prospect of losing his son, not a sign that he is anti gay people.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes, just more reason why Zzzendull are toxic to AMC as a whole. I just wish we had heard what he told her that she wasn't going to like, as we were teased in the cliffhanger on Thursday.

David & Cara were hot!wub.png

I really like this actress and I agree when she's not whining to/about a man, she's actually enjoyable!

I love how Greenlee always knew she was inferior to Gillian! It feeds my Rylee hatred when she's keeping it secret that the true love of his life might still be alive (although I doubt she is, I think David's just playing mind games with them).

They did address it when she first came on, they said her name was Cara Lynn Finn.

I won't get into the argument about JR. IMO, he's always been dickish when he doesn't get his way, but I don't think deep down he's truly homophobic.

• Members

LOL what silly games? Are we watching the same version of AMC? Clearly not......I saw Zach tell Kendall of his plan, which is clearly about David in some aspect.. Oye vey

:rolleyes: Yeah it wouldn't be bad writing or any silly thing like that. No offense, but things like this make it hard to take anyone seriously. I hate Ryan, but I don't think he was the ruination of this show for nearly a decade, that would be hack writers & Frons

It's Carolyn, but she changed it to Cara, it was Cara Finn with the LH recast, before it was Carolyn, not sure if it was Finn

• Members

But... but... EVERY writer has been a hack, in your sophisticated opinion. From McTavish (who created Zendall) to your girl, LB (who's a "fail" in your eyes). So... how can you prove it's bad writing when they've never had good writing?

You're just going to have to accept that you and the fellow inmates at the asylum Zendall enthusiasts are fans of an obnoxious, immature couple who'd rather play games and spite each other -- and expect the audience to watch them do this to each other day after day.

• Members

I would love for Mark to come back! I generally agree about how he writing has done JR wrong too often. I think he was supposed to be generally a good kid who fights the "be more like mom or dad?" thing. I don't like the nasty JR, the Carey worshipping JR, or the does everything wrong loser JR.

• Members

JR was always written to be troubled more then anything else since he started becoming a prominent character on AMC. He had issues even when squeaky clean Jesse McCartney was in the role. That in and of itself isn't an issue. Erica was troubled, a lot of soap characters are damaged and come on having problems which lead them down problematic roads. But I would say the biggest disservice the writers have done to the JR character is not give him a reason as to why he is the way he is. Why is this man so self destructive? Why does this character feel the need to constantly hurt others? They never tried to make him understandable. And as a result they have made him into an unlikable baboon and a cartoon who just has endless issues but conversely has no real basis for the way he reacts to them. He just does horrible actions and says horrible things and we are supposed to forgive him for them and not take any of it to heart. As it stands now he mostly just blames his own faults on other characters and never takes responsibility for his poor actions. He constantly has other characters bailing him out of trouble every time he gets too deep and he never has to deal with his despicable actions.

He never really grows. I would say even a flimsy Freudian excuse would have done something to make the audience get why he is so damaged. They did that for other characters and it more or less worked. They did that for Carly, Kendell, Greenlee (fear of never being loved or accepted for who they truly are due to parental neglect or not being wanted), Sonny (domestic abuse) and Todd (sexual abuse) but never gave that to JR.

We have no idea why JR acts the way he does or why he is such an abusive prick. Adam was barely in JR's life so there has been no Adam influence in his life for him to in anyway want emulate him. The two men never got along and rarely interacted even in his teens. Besides Adam's initial rush for custody which set up the Dixie/Tad love story Adam had been an absent parent to JR. He was much busier dealing with Stuart, Liza, Hayley, and everyone else during most of the 90's. Everything JR has known about Adam has been negative so it makes no sense for him to want to be like Adam. Add in the fact that Dixie was his primary caregiver and Tad was his secondary one and the way JR has turned out makes no sense what so ever. Dixie and Tad themselves have never reacted the way JR does continuously, and from what we know about them as characters and parents when JR was growing up it's unreasonable to believe that either of those characters messed him up this way. Generally it just makes no sense why JR has no clue how to handle his problems and why he reacts the way that he does.

• Members

Marissa didn't do anything, "homophobe" JR got Bianca the custody of her kids.

He offered Reese a job redesigning the Chandler offices with the hope she would drop the custody suit which she did.

In other words, he basically bribed her.

That was all so badly written and if I had been a Reese fan, I would've been royally p*ssed for how they portrayed her. First as someone who spitefully tries to take the kids from Bianca and then just drops any interest in either child when JR dangles some money in front of her.

Archived