AMC - Friday - August 19, 2011

• Members

I will be the first to admit that I wub.png Alexa Havins Babe, Eden Rigel's Bianca, Rebecca Budig's Greenlee, Sarah Michelle Geller's Kendell and so on and so forth. But I never white washed any of their actions or saw them for anything else then what they were and meant to be. I have watched other actresses come in and out of their roles and I still see the character for who they are no endlessly contorting them into a box that is without blame and without ridicule. Even with a few deviations from the way the actresses played them they still owned their actions. I could still see the character and saw more then just a face, body or actor. While I found the recasts to be less lively the character was still the character. Ultimately I could never excuse or go to bat for all that they did just because there was a capable thespian in the role or just because the actor in question was attractive. I usually find this isn't the case with certain interest groups. In fact I find it increasingly clear that the group in question gives passes for them continuously and they endlessly get made out to be the victim by literally any means possible. It's never the characters fault. It's the writing, or another character, another actor, the director, the media, etc. It's pure fan enabling because a certain actor is in the role. There is nothing else for this phenomenon to be called I find. Especially when all of this loyalty would likely disappear if another actor/actress took the role.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

JR has made ant-gay remarks to Binks for years. JR also made Transphobic remarks to Zoe and left her to die then went home and trashed her some more with Adam/KWAK!

Derek was also shown to be a homophobe in that sl. Ryan made nasty remarks but said he was sorry.

KWAK was also homophobic during the babyswitch.

• Members

I don't get this homophobia stuff. We want soaps to represent diversity with more gays, african americans, hispanics, and such yet when the realities of some of what that represents is comes out and yes some of its ugly, all of a sudden its bad? Fact is there are people out there who are anti gay who are racist and sexist are soaps supposed to not deal with that aspect of diversity? That said, I still don't find JR homophobic just nasty and vulgar when he is the one dumped on. I think a mountain made out of a molehill to be honest. His reaction was expected knowing JR and realistic and not pretty. It doesn't make him anti gay

• Members

Right now Dixie is the only one who comes close to doing anything loving with JR. As much as JR is being a total ass, no one is giving him any reason to be anything else. He just gets called names. You can do tough love without name calling and ultimate abandonment. At least Dixie(who is not perfect but that's ok) is projecting any love. Tad has some, but he will never get the fact that JR's last name is Chandler out of his mind. I think the writers want to completely destroy him. Hopefully at the very least they have a plan on pulling him up at some point-a starting over perhaps.

• Members

Thank you. I file this under all homophobes are assholes but not all assholes are homophobes. JR is an ass hole who is using homophobic slurs because because its the easiest, most convenient weapon.

We could start a whole conversation about characters showing bias and how appropriate it is, but sadly I think the days when we could have that discussion on this board are long gone.

• Members

I'm sorry but are you saying people don't have a right to be angry about homophobia? Are you saying we should take it easy on JR because he 'realistically' has these prejudices? huh.png In what world would this be acceptable? I get it yeah there are ass holes who make homophobic remarks that doesn't mean they shouldn't be reamed the hell out for it.

Except the words he uses, how he treats gay people, and his ideology about gays, lesbians and transgender persons does make him anti-gay. The actions that he takes are very anti-gay, the words that he says are anti-gay, his beliefs about how the world should work are anti-gay. I can't belabor this point enough, how is this prejudice about people who like the same sex not anti-gay? I really wish someone would explain this to me because I am at a complete loss. He says that women who are lesbians shouldn't raise children (twice), If I am not mistaken he urinated on a transgender person, refused a person help because they were transgender, and he consistently makes barbs about people who are gay. This isn't even bringing up the fact that he rubs elbows with judges who are also anti-gay.

JR says this stuff too often about too many gay people for this to just be a run of the mill slur that has no basis or meaning. Somewhere inside him he believes this stuff or else he wouldn't say it, much less so frequently. Like I said before why can't he insult Bianca about the way she dresses, looks, talks, acts, etc. Why does he always insult her for liking women? Why does JR view a woman loving another woman as a basis for derogation, shame and something to be openly mocked for? The answer is because he thinks gay people are beneath him (a person who is heterosexual).

• Members

This is a soap opera. People can be bothered by it and outraged I suppose but this is not reallife so I guess while I can be disturbed by the characters behavior he is a fictional character not a real person.. And in reallife things like this do happen. I guess maybe the reaction is positive since its something getting a reaction which is what soaps want.

I also find both sides of the JR debate interesting. Those that seem to love him and blame all his actions on everyone except for him and those that put he in particular under a microscope and find faults that many other charactrers have exhibited without the same level of scrutiny. I guess he's considered a buzzworthy character which I guess is considered a good thing.

• Members

He also called Annie a crazed lunatic and bitch how many times and they were true love or so I have been told and has thrown Scotts incarceration into his face how many times also. Its called hitting someone where it hurts and where they are most vulerable and what would be the most hurtful to them.

• Members

So it's the entirety of Pine Valley who is at fault in light of the fact that JR can't act like a normal human being and get his act together?

He is the equivalent to the Todd and Sonny of AMC just without the reasonably sympathetic back story.

I always felt Marissa was a Babe insert. Though I think Marissa has more grounds then Babe did in JR hurting AJ.

And that's the entire problem. Marissa shouldn't have to get JR sober. He should want that for himself.

I firmly believe JR is a male chauvinist, so him calling Annie a bitch doesn't surprise me in the slightest. That's nothing new. He has been disrespectful and demeaning to every single female character he has interacted with even his own beloved mother who he has said he loved like no other and that was when Andrew Ridding was in the role. The homophobia is just another layer to an already reviled disgusting character. The main problem I have with him insulting Bianca is that he only attacks her for being gay and nothing else as if he thinks her being gay is something for her to be ashamed of because he believes her being gay is something for her to be demeaned and hated for. As if she is less of a person because she is a lesbian.

• Members

Which is totally different from her sister who came to town to scam money from him.

But in some ways she has hurt him worse than her sister ever did. I don't think she's unaware of that and even feels bad, but as a man being left by your wife for another woman has to be a boatload of hurt and just feeds his already low self esteem. His reaction I know people are lambasting him for but none of what he's doing or how he is reacting is out of character including him trying to buy the judge to get his kid only to have it blow up in his face.

• Members

Ugh SOnny Corinthos has no sympathetic backstory unless you are talking about the same Deke nonsense he blabbers off time and time again. Sonny Corinthos and Todd Manning also have the entire canvas practically licking their asses to justify their bad behaviors too.

Archived